Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any special trick to installing piston rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any special trick to installing piston rings?

So I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild and just got done putting my crankshaft on the block. Now I'm having trouble putting the piston rings on the piston, specifically the oil ring. I was wondering is there any kind of trick to putting on the piston rings? They're P13 pistons for a H22a1

Nevermind I got it. Just had to play with the rings a bit to get them to fit properly.

Comment

Just in case you weren't aware. There are specific ring gaps for each ring and the gaps have a specific orientation in the cylinder for them to be installed in.

Top ring is marked R1 or T1
      Second ring is marked R2 or 2T

MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah that was actually the exact diagram I was using when I was putting them on. I don't think I was suppose to put the crankshaft on the block yet cause I'm having trouble getting the rings past the cylinders cause I'm trying to put the pistons and rods in now. Someone told me to put the crankshaft on first then the pistons, but I'm going to try putting the pistons and rods in first then the crankshaft. Thanks though for the reply

Comment

Crankshaft does go in before pistons and rods. Removing the crank will not allow you rto get the rings passed the deck surface. You need to buy/borrow a piston ring compressor. This is used to compress the rings while you slide the pistons into the cylinders.

Also, make sure that you remove the rod caps and cover the rod bolts with a rubber cap/piece of hose. This will keep them from scratching the cylinder wall or crank journals as you are installing them.

You should have a helms manual for a prelude (H22A) on hand before you put this back together. It has a step buy step for installing the crank, rods and pistons.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah I've been using this Chilton manual its for preludes and accords, but ended up buying a ring compressor and was able to get the pistons in the block. Ended up leaving the crank on like you said too, I don't know why I thought about taking it off and trying to put the pistons & rods in without it. Guess I was just trying to figure it out myself, but seems it's best if you just follow the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
              Yeah I've been using this Chilton manual its for preludes and accords, but ended up buying a ring compressor and was able to get the pistons in the block. Ended up leaving the crank on like you said too, I don't know why I thought about taking it off and trying to put the pistons & rods in without it. Guess I was just trying to figure it out myself, but seems it's best if you just follow the manual.
              Ladies and gentlemen! We have a winner!
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
              X