ATF comparisons, whats the best to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATF comparisons, whats the best to use?

I going to be doing a transmission fluid change on my 93' prelude SI (166k miles, yes it’s an auto tragic). The car runs fine but has a hard shifts and from all of the other issues and poor maintains I had to correct from the previous owner I have no clue how often or with what fluids they changed the transmission with. The plan is to do the normal drain/refill then "flush" the old fluid out of the torque converter while filling the trans with fluid at the same until only clean fluid comes out, top it off an call it day. Now when it comes to oil I would rather not pay stealership prices and have been looking to "aftermarket" options and looks like everyone is a fan of either Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Transmax when compared to

-Honda atf "DW-1"(Density 0.85 g/cm3@15°C; Viscosity @40C= 25.09 cSt; @100C = 6.835 cSt),

-The Castrol has a higher viscosity rating @ (Viscosity @ 40°C= 36.6 cSt; 100°C= 8 cSt.)

-Valvoline ratings (Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 28.18, @100°C, cSt 6.11; )

Since I am in Texas we have brutal summers and would assume that an oil with higher viscosity ratings would be best for me, as the hotter the oil gets the thinner it gets, leaded to fast wear. Does anyone have any experience with using Castrol transmax or Valovine max life? Also anyone use additives to their oil for smoother shifting/ wear reduction.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

80% of the forum will say Honda. I'm on that side of the fence. I also don't use additives.

from Central Texas (Waco/Temple/Killeen)

Comment

Our Accord's Maintenance manual calls for Dexron or Dexron II as you see above.

I used DW-1 on a 98 Civic. One drain and refill. After that, the driver complained to me that there's something wrong with the car. She said the car doesn't move when she needs to go, on occasion. Potentially, putting her in danger. I had her driving the car for one full week because I couldn't get to it.

Did the drain and refill with Castrol three times the next weekend. No other maintenance was done. No more complain from the driver.
      A&P-IA

Comment

there is no comparison, honda is the only way to go.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i have been using Castrol Transmax High Milage for the last 4 years and my 350k trans loves it. i will never switch oils again. for me the castrol is the best i could find.
          visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
            there is no comparison, honda is the only way to go.
            I am sorry but with out any sort of reasoning behind "oem is best" or "Honda makes it so they know best" this is not helpful. OEM isnt always best, an oems dont even make majority of their own parts. Its "contracted" to be made for them. There is clearly better aftermarket parts/fluids you can get for certain things. No one ever has a "reason" why Honda fluid is better just that "it is"... I know from doing my 5-speed in my CB when I used honda MTF there was no diffrence in "smoothness" or "performance" vs using a quailty oil.

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
            i have been using Castrol Transmax High Milage for the last 4 years and my 350k trans loves it. i will never switch oils again. for me the castrol is the best i could find.
            Thank you for the response. Seems like this has been a good oil for people using non-oem fluids.
            Last edited by baracuda; 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

honda 5 speed is a lot different than thier autotragic. i used pennzoil synchromesh in my 5 speed.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Just to give a quick update on my issue, after inspecting everything and reading some trouble shooting fixes in the factory service manual.

The main issue was the kick-down cable on the transmission leading from the throttle body to the tranmission housing, was waaaaaaaay loose as well as the throttle cable. After correctly adjusting both cables, the hard shifting reduced by over 80% and shifts way faster and smoother. I have not yet flushed out the old fluid since its appeared to clean and in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                  Just to give a quick update on my issue, after inspecting everything and reading some trouble shooting fixes in the factory service manual.

The main issue was the kick-down cable on the transmission leading from the throttle body to the tranmission housing, was waaaaaaaay loose as well as the throttle cable. After correctly adjusting both cables, the hard shifting reduced by over 80% and shifts way faster and smoother. I have not yet flushed out the old fluid since its appeared to clean and in good condition.
                  still you have to change it, hard-shifting caused by a loose cable means there are some metallic debris already in your tranny

Comment

I have not yet flushed out the old fluid since its appeared to clean and in good condition.
                    Transmission fluid that has reached its maximum service life would not appear to be dirty. Transmissions do not get contaminated by dark particles such as the case of engine oil as it is not exposed to carbon deposits so it would and should always appear clean even after its service life. Any metal shavings will not be evident on the dip stick or naked eye also as it settles in the bottom and come out only when drained.

I am sorry but with out any sort of reasoning behind "oem is best" or "Honda makes it so they know best" this is not helpful. OEM isnt always best, an oems dont even make majority of their own parts. Its "contracted" to be made for them. There is clearly better aftermarket parts/fluids you can get for certain things. No one ever has a "reason" why Honda fluid is better just that "it is"... I know from doing my 5-speed in my CB when I used honda MTF there was no diffrence in "smoothness" or "performance" vs using a quaility oil.
                    Whilst Honda doesn't make their oil and contracts them their blend and specifications are true to their requirements and you can be sure every bottle is consistent.

Sure there are others claiming their specification numbers exceeds another makers numbers or even Honda's but this may or may not be true or consistent. What is heavy duty to them may just be lighter duty than that of Honda specifications. Fact that these oil manufacturers are contracted by Honda (who stands to lose money if their transmissions starts to fail left right and centre) and the manufacturers know they can get sued by a giant corporation if they fail to maintain their quality and grade, they tend to abide by the strictest of quality standards and provide the high grade they are contracted to supply.

Conversely marketing to mum's and dad's or even local mechanics that try many different oils and other Do It Yourselfers do not and cannot have the required proof, consistency in records, perceived integrity, size and financial backing to prove an oil manufacturers products caused the malfunction or destruction of their transmissions. Manufacturers overstating their claims to create product differentiation (which corporations do to increase revenue) to justify the higher purchase price premium no matter how marginal that is means you may not get what you paid for.

In other words yes you may get a better oil but you can also and will definitely run the risk of getting an inferior oil also which is not meeting the specific requirements of Honda.

Using a different oil and not noticing the difference doesn't mean much. You may now be actually damaging it or increasing the wear and tear compared to the required Honda fluid. The transmission may have been serviced properly in the past hence it is still running well (which you have not begun to undo).

The true damage or increased wear may not appear until a much later time since you actually still have oil in there so an instant destruction will be unlikely. Note also that draining and refilling it is not 100% new oil as you only ever drain it partially. In other words it may still be smooth because it still contains a significant amount of Honda fluid and due to its good history of service and not necessarily due to your new fluid being the same as the Honda fluid you didn't replace.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    honda 5 speed is a lot different than thier autotragic. i used pennzoil synchromesh in my 5 speed.
                    For every automatic transmission car that I have used and come across the auto transmission have reached at least 250,000 kms and a 97 Prelude with proper maintenance (family friend) have reached over 400,000km still no problems and confirm is original and not ever overhauled or replaced. That is far from tragic.
                    Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-09-2013, 08:21 AM.
                    Rides:

Accord
                    92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                    96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                    88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                    92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                    95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                    92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                    91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
                      still you have to change it, hard-shifting caused by a loose cable means there are some metallic debris already in your tranny
                      Oh I plan on it very soon, just havent had the time and the hard shift are basicly gone so my concerns about a failure are minimal now.

Comment

Working...
                      X