h23 tranny swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h23 tranny swap questions

Ok so heres some background info. My car is a 1992 lx sedan . Long story short my third gear synchro is done on my stock tranny. I got tired of shifting from second to 4th so i found myself a m2S4 tranny(h23) according to my research for about 200$. I want to attempt to swap it in myself and want as much info as i can going into this. first off from what i have read i can either tap the tranny and use my existing tranny mount or i can use the cd mount or prelude mount which will slightly shift my engine. IS this true and which would be the best course of action? Secondly I am pretty handy with a wrench and I have done one engine swap and tranny swap on an integra but we completely pulled the motor. I cant seem to find any diy , tutorial or videos on swapping it with the motor still in the car. Are there any that maybe i am overlooking? If not is there anyone who has done this or a h22 tranny swap with the motor in the car that might be able to give some tips or advice? I am off wednesday and thursday so i will try to tackle it then. What kind of time period can i expect for this to be done under normal conditions? Is there anything else I should be swapping or maintainancing while I am doing this? The clutch was swapped when i bought the car about a year ago so its still holding up fine. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

R.I.P> Ronald Murphy the best dad ever in life. YOu will be missed.

i have done this swap yesterday. im using the same tranny (m2s4). all i did was tap the two holes and move the screws over... its easy. it took me about 10hrs but thats wid me wire tuckinng the passanger side.... should take you about 4hrs to do.

Comment

Just drill and tap the two mounting holes. That is the only difference, pretty much just drop the old one and put the new one on. Not hard at all.

Good luck.

Instagram: n_buttz

The Jeepster ____ The CB7 ____ The TE38 ____ The S13

Comment

hey guys quick question. I never dropped a tranny out with the motor in. Can I do it with 2 jacks, a set of jackstands, and my hand tools? Which motor mounts do i need to loosen besides the obvious tranny mounts? any electrical connections involved? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Simply look for any connections between the tranny and the engine, and the tranny and the body, disconnect them, and either lift the front of the car high enough to pull the tranny out from underneath or just lift it up over the fender. Did it once on a Tercel for a clutch job but stupidly thought we had to take the engine off its mounts... completely unnecessary. No engine lift on hand either, and that transaxle was one heavy mother.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by newyorkcb7ss View Post
            hey guys quick question. I never dropped a tranny out with the motor in. Can I do it with 2 jacks, a set of jackstands, and my hand tools? Which motor mounts do i need to loosen besides the obvious tranny mounts? any electrical connections involved? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
            YES ! Well kinda.

Your gonna want 4 jack stand, 2 jacks will work it's gonna suck getting that tranny to stay ont he jack tho. I HIGHLY reccomend a atv jack from harbor freight. With a few 2 X 4" butts it will support your trans way better than any jack.

Im assuming you have a F22 in there I have a swapped JDM H and I still dropped the trans out through the bottom. Clearances are TIGHT, and your gonna want a freind or 2 to be there.

Plan to drop the motor as far on the mounts as possible because your gonna need every 1/4"...

Youl need to take off the slave cylinder and the line going to it completly off the trans. There are other things as well I cant recall off hand, but youl see whats in the way once you get there lol...

Dnt skimp on the clutch, your gonna want to go oem or maybe an unsprung clutch for a little more zing.

But it can be done. Warm weather and light really helps tho lol.
            My System
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165155

Comment

thanks guys I am gonna have to tackle this once this blizzard is over. I just bought a act clutch brand new that i am going to throw in there. Should i also get a lightened flywheel since I am in there?

Comment

thanks guys I am gonna have to tackle this once this blizzard is over. I just bought a act clutch brand new that i am going to throw in there. Should i also get a lightened flywheel since I am in there?
                What kind of ACT clutch?

Not to trasht hem but I had a bad exsperince with them. I used a unsprung stage 3, in my ride and it went out after 3K miles, I killed the splines on the clutch where it meets the input shaft on the trans. Called act due it being a obviouse manufacture defect and they said not to use a racing clutch in street apps and that I voidded the warrenty. very lame. Just my .02$

Er i would go with a 10lbs flywheel. I run an 8lbs and it's fine but it def revs up a lot faster, and when starting froma standstill you have to blip the throttle and let the clutch out just right or you will have the high rev start off's lol...

Stock is also fine if your on a budjet, make sure you have it balanced and re surfaced. Other wise it may go through clutches like skittles. lol
                My System

Comment

Yea just go with a fidanza lw flywheel or a bisimoto while you are in there.

Comment

thanks guys! I think I am going to go with the fidanza! I am on a on kind of a budget and I have a pare motor and will be running a dsm turbo setup on this one soon. I just want to avoid having problems later on.

Comment

thanks guys! I think I am going to go with the fidanza! I am on a on kind of a budget and I have a pare motor and will be running a dsm turbo setup on this one soon. I just want to avoid having problems later on.
                      You should be good to go. The only part that makes me iffy is the clutch but that is because Ive had a bad first experince with ACT and they wouldnt make it right with me.
                      My System

Comment

The clutch is from a local seller. Its brand new and the price is 100 dollars. I am kind of iffy about this. I am going to find out whick act clutch it is and do some more research. I have looked and maybe the bisi flywheel isnt such a bad idea. Its in my price range. A little cheaper than the fidanza actually. What clutch should I go with considering I will be boosting this car in the very near future?

Comment

ok the clutch is a six pad race disk. This maybe overkill but for the price i am very tempted. No pressure plate though. So i take it I need to purchase a pressure plate hahaha. This is getting pricey lol.

Comment

ok the clutch is a six pad race disk. This maybe overkill but for the price i am very tempted. No pressure plate though. So i take it I need to purchase a pressure plate hahaha. This is getting pricey lol.
                            Your best bet is to find a clutch pressure plate combo. Bisimoto offers some killer reliable clutches and pressureplates that arnt to bad, you want have to sell your left nut to obtain one.
                            My System

Comment

ok sounds good

Comment

Working...
                              X