Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Which engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which engine?

Which engine would you guys buy?

H22 or H23? Which one? I'm thinking of H23 but I'm not
    Sure. I was also thinking F20b

Thanks

Your car and money, man. Read up on the different engines, and figure out which engine suits what you want in the end.

USDM H23a is non-vtec which I like, but it's up to you. And I'm pretty sure people are going to say the same thing - your car/money/choice.

Comment

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

So, do you just do what everyone else does or do you plan on building your car YOUR way?

It shouldn't matter what everyone else would buy. Buy what you want. After all, it is your money, right?

Now, as stated above, do some research on each engine and make an educated decision based on YOUR goals, not everyone else's. All the motors you listed are contenders in their own way.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

We can't tell you what you want. Do your research and figure that out for yourself.

Comment

I would buy the F20b and bore it out to increase the displacement to 2200cc. Large bore and short stroke...but that's just me

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              I would buy the F20b and bore it out to increase the displacement to 2200cc. Large bore and short stroke...but that's just me
              Lol.

Comment

If you are going to keep the engine As-Is, then just go with the H22. More parts available, and cheaper. If you are going to customize the engine then pick your flavor, do research and do what you want.

Comment

That's my thinking. The H22A is the most well-documented swap for the CB7. It is easier than the H23A (VTEC) and F20B because it exists in OBD1 form (so no conversions or "creative" ECU solutions are necessary.)
                  H22A parts are available at any Honda dealership, any parts store, and even junkyards (if you're lucky enough to find an H22A in one.) The H23A (VTEC) and F20B share many parts with the H22A, but not all. In the event that an unshared part breaks, you'll have to search for it overseas, pay a fortune for shipping, and wait a long time for its arrival.

The H22A is superior to the F20B in pretty much every way, especially since the F20B comes in 200ps and 180ps versions that are utterly indistinguishable from each other... so getting the 180ps version from even a reputable engine reseller is a risk. The H23A (VTEC) offers greater displacement, which provides a minor increase in performance... but I feel it's not significant enough to justify the added difficulty in installing and maintaining one.

Since only "H23" was said, I've only assumed the H23A (VTEC) was in consideration, as it's the only viable competition for the H22A and F20B. However, if the H23A1 was the engine in question, that of course is fairly pointless. Sure, it offers more horsepower and torque than the F22A, but it's going to take nearly as much time and money to install as an H22A.

In my opinion, there are only two worthwhile engine upgrades for the CB7: An H22A swap, or a PROPERLY built turbo F22A. I wouldn't waste the time or money on any other available option.

Comment

thanks. i decided to go with a H23.

Comment

i was thinking of doing that too but i wouldn't have space for another engine. so decided to go H23.

Comment

H23A or H23A1?

Comment

So even though everyone said h22 you pick the least out of all of them. I feel like your fishing for posts here.
                          ~Nick~
                          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

has anybody else had trouble with the FRM sleeves in their H swaps? I have had a bad experience with a prelude that devoured oil, and i've since been weary about the FRM motors.

Comment

Originally posted by motohead623 View Post
                              has anybody else had trouble with the FRM sleeves in their H swaps? I have had a bad experience with a prelude that devoured oil, and i've since been weary about the FRM motors.
                              The FRM sleeves a pretty hard material and they wear rings out relatively fast compared to other sleeves. This means when you do a refresh on your 15+ year old motor you need to change the rings as well as bearings , seals and gaskets. The FRM sleeves are good enough that as long as you didn't have a internal failure you can rering without having to hone or bore the motor. My research suggest you can rering a healthy FRM block 3 times before it's a issue. I have only gotten to the first rering, it will be many years before I get to 3 rerings.
                              CB7TUNER.com
                              Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X