Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone ever owned an American Bulldog? Other large dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone ever owned an American Bulldog? Other large dogs?

My wife and I are looking into getting another dog. Has to be good with kids, be big enough to bite the shit out of an intruder, bark loud enough to make someone think twice about intruding in the first place- and have a reputation for being loyal to family/owner.

We have a few breeds in mind. Must be a large dog. I cannot stand little dogs. Its a personal thing.

Anyways, anyone owned one? Ive read a ton about the breed, the attitude etc and now Im really just looking for some personal feedback.

Also, if you have owned a dog that you think may fit my requirments, lemme know.

Im open to suggestions.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

I have an Olde English Bulldogge, which is more closely related to the American Bulldog vs the short squatty English Bulldog.

Our dog is very well tempered once she warms up to people. 90% of the time she's just SUPER excited and wanting to jump all over people and lick them to death (we're working on that), and the rest of the time she's very uneasy around new people. She's never bit anyone (because I've always been around), but I honestly think that if there was an intruder she'd fight for the family.

She's fine with dogs that are introduced to her in the normal fashion. As long as they're kept on a leash fort he first few minutes jsut to sniff each other out, she'll play with them for hours and hours. However, a lab came into our yard and started chasing our Shih Tzu (definitely not in a friendly way) and my Bulldog took care of business. The lab didn't die, but it required surgery.

All bulldogs shed like crazy. You will have little 1-2" strands of hair EVERYWHERE. That's the one "con" I have with her/them. However, I do intend to get another... so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

As for friendly vs territorial against people, it's really based on how you train it and raise it. My intent was for her to be very friendly once off of our property, which is why most of her interactions with people and animals have been off our property in a neutral setting. The few regular people that come over more than once a year she was around a lot as a pup to trust them. That way (hopefully) if someone breaks in there will at least be blood of the intruder left behind for dna lol.

But this is how she is 80% of the time:

Oh, and bulldogs are fucking STUBBORN!!!!!! So, be prepared to double the average training period. lol
    But once they're trained, it's imbedded into their head without a second thought about it.

Edit : and be prepared for ungodly farts that could be used for tear gas and loud snoring.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Rottweilers are excellent dogs. My GF has one. Just make sure to get it young and train it properly.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Get a german sheppard, If you get it as a real young pup, and have it around you and your family all the time. It will stop at nothing to protect you. They are hands down, the best dog.

I have one, and his father was a police search dog for 9/11.

Comment

I used to have a Boxer/Vizsla mix. He was hyper as shit and on a rare occasions he would listen. That was mainly the Vizsla part in him other then that he would just lounge around all day long like the one pic JoshM posted

New heart and soul H22A4
          Bought from: King James,kouzie,xkjnboix,tommi
          Sold too: P5ylance,GearBangnAccord
          Traded with: crazymikey,nine_deuce

Comment

Originally posted by honda_mike View Post
            I used to have a Boxer/Vizsla mix. He was hyper as shit and on a rare occasions he would listen. That was mainly the Vizsla part in him other then that he would just lounge around all day long like the one pic JoshM posted
            My GF other dog is a Visla/ Yellow lab mix. Same thing here. Fun dog though. Much more sociable than the Rotty. But the Rotty is afraid of me.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

My friend lives on a 100 acre Ranch. he has 4 German Sheperds that took down an Illegal, running across his Ranch.

I recommend this.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                My GF other dog is a Visla/ Yellow lab mix. Same thing here. Fun dog though. Much more sociable than the Rotty. But the Rotty is afraid of me.
                He was great with kids especially my son who was a year old at the time. My son would sit there and pull on his ears and everything and all he would do(Diego, son named him after his favorite show) is lick him to death lol

New heart and soul H22A4

Comment

Originally posted by honda_mike View Post
                  He was great with kids especially my son who was a year old at the time. My son would sit there and pull on his ears and everything and all he would do(Diego, son named him after his favorite show) is lick him to death lol
                  He is the exact same way. Outrageously sweet dog. Even when you push him away he still comes back.
                  He was also a full size dog when the Rott was still a puppy, and he still bites on the Rott when he gets out of line.
                  MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by Jaysson_2012 View Post
                    Get a german sheppard, If you get it as a real young pup, and have it around you and your family all the time. It will stop at nothing to protect you. They are hands down, the best dog.
                    I have a Pit Bull, who is excellent with my son, but my son is 3 and very well behaved. The Pit is probably too hyper for most kids. I suggest a German Sheppard. Hands down. My parents had about 5 as I was growing up, fantastic.
                    Dylan Prichard : 812-595-1072

92 cb7: DX, coupe, 5spd, leather.

Comment

One day I'd like to get a Rotty or a Pit, but with this stupid pitbull ban in Ontario there hard to come across here

New heart and soul H22A4

Comment

Josh;

Very helpfull reply, thank you! Your dog has awesome markings. Im going to look into this breed of bully. I really like your dog,

Everyone else;

German shep is too hairy. My wife would kill me if I ever bought a long hair having dog. That being said, ive always been a fan of them, and particularly love the black/dark silver looking shep's. Man those are awesome.

Ive had Rott's most of my life. I love the dogs and the breed. Best dog I have ever owned.

I personally want a Rott, but my wife is suggesting anything under the sun to get something else-hence the bully suggestion.

She even suggested a boerboel, which is a huge mastiff. I think they look cool and all, but a dog that reaches 200lbs regularly is a bit too big for my kids. In my opinion anyways. 100-130lbs is about perfect for a "large"house dog.

We have a Boxer now, and are going to have to give up our Shar-pei in the near future. Hes gotten to be a bit snappy with my 4yr old, and we just had a baby in January. Hes got the "fever" and also is a horse coat with some sort of skin condition-so he is getting sensitive as he gets older.

Great dog, but the health issues create concern that he may bite my son. I hope I can find him a good home, hes really a great dog.

These are my dogs....

I really hate the idea of getting rid of my Shar-pei, but the fam has got to come first yanno.
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Rhodesian Ridgeback

I do not own one. But someday I will! Once I get a house, and a yard.

I have heard extremely good things from their owners that I know!
                          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Mastiffs have a big bark and might be quick but I dont think of them as an attack dog. They just have sheer size on their side.

I had a Rottweiler/Australian Sheep Dog-mix some years back. BEST. DOG. EVER. He barked at everyone that pulled in our driveway. Even the mailman.

He was great with kids and other animals(except squirrels). He was kind enough to come in the house and be a big teddy bear but he used to scare the shit out of a lotta strangers.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                            Originally posted by Jarrett
                            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Damn Josh that's crazy that your dog mauled a lab.

Was it a pure bred yellow/black/choc?

They are usually mad friendly....shit they have been the number one rated dog for 20 years or something.

That's crazy....i would say maybe it was a mix but then the animal lovers would all have a fucking stroke.

Comment

Working...
                              X