Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start no crank

Hey guys ,

im in need of some help . my car just randomly did not want to start . does not crank over at all !

i pulled out the switch and tried to manually turn it with a screw driver and nothing !

so i ordered another ignition switch from Rock Auto .

i put it in . and after 3 turns of the switch nothing . then all of a sudden it cranked right up . left it on for a few minutes . turned it off . went to turn it back on and nothing again . now it will not turn back on at all !

could this be another bad ignition switch or is something else causing the problem ?

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

maybe battery could not have enough juice to turn it over after trying so many times ?

Comment

If when it cranks it cranks normally, then it is not the battery. Do all the dash lights come on normally when you turn the key to "on"? If you have the hood open, can you hear the starter solenoid click when it doesn't crank? Check the connections at the starter solenoid to make sure 12 volts is getting there when you turn the key to start. Always do some troubleshooting before throwing parts at a problem - it'll save you money.

A crude way to check for a weak/sticky solenoid is to whack it with a hammer, then try to start it. You might even try to have someone else turn the key to "start" then whack it with a hammer (if it doesn't start right away).
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Kinda sounds like when my starter completely quit on me. Do you have power to the rest of the car?
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          If when it cranks it cranks normally, then it is not the battery. Do all the dash lights come on normally when you turn the key to "on"? If you have the hood open, can you hear the starter solenoid click when it doesn't crank? Check the connections at the starter solenoid to make sure 12 volts is getting there when you turn the key to start. Always do some troubleshooting before throwing parts at a problem - it'll save you money.

A crude way to check for a weak/sticky solenoid is to whack it with a hammer, then try to start it. You might even try to have someone else turn the key to "start" then whack it with a hammer (if it doesn't start right away).
          at first when i turned the key to try and start it , i would hear a buzzing sound in the engine bay (maybe starter trying to turn on ?). i remember last week i would hear a grinding noise when the engine was on at times (maybe starter got stuck in the on position and was grinding ? )

i will try the hammer trick tonight , if not im pulling the starter out and going to get it tested

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
          Kinda sounds like when my starter completely quit on me. Do you have power to the rest of the car?
          i have a h23a vtec automatic . would a f22a automatic starter work just as fine ?

Comment

Originally posted by tear2wo View Post
            at first when i turned the key to try and start it , i would hear a buzzing sound in the engine bay (maybe starter trying to turn on ?). i remember last week i would hear a grinding noise when the engine was on at times (maybe starter got stuck in the on position and was grinding ? )

i will try the hammer trick tonight , if not im pulling the starter out and going to get it tested

i have a h23a vtec automatic . would a f22a automatic starter work just as fine ?
            I have no idea if the f22a would work... Haha, sorry...

When my starter was going out, it started sounding funny. It started three times after that, then it was done. I thought it was battery at first, but it turned over after trying the hammer trick. It was super easy to take out, if you're sure it isn't a power issue, I'd take it in to get it tested. My starter was OEM, 25ish years old!
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by tear2wo View Post
              I have a h23a vtec automatic . would a f22a automatic starter work just as fine ?
              Yes it would work, I believe all the H/F auto starters are interchangeable.

Comment

just an update .

Took the starter to get it checked , and the guy said its spinning but not well .. so im gonna get it replaced soon and go from there . im also taking the battery to go get checked as well .

Comment

Check your grounds. A bad ground connection can cause intermittent start issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X