Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Radio volume doesn't come on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio volume doesn't come on?

I bought my car with the radio code error on and didn't fix it for a week or so after buying my car. I finally got around to putting the code error in but after I turned the radio on no sound came through the speakers? I checked the fuse box under the hood and under the dash and the fuses were good. Does anybody know how to get the volume to work? My car is a 1993 Accord ex 4 door sedan. Thanks.

ummmmm... Rotate the knob clockwise? If you don't hear sound, then replace the radio.

But seriously, check to make sure the speakers are even connected. The rears are easy to check at minimum.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The original owner disconnected the battery. I read online that alot of people had this issue with the sound not coming on after disconnecting the battery in all different makes and model vehicles. I tried everything I could think of and still no luck on getting the sound to come on. I'm probably just going to take it to Honda if nobody can help me here.

Comment

Nobody??? someone has to know or had the same issue..........

Comment

You're saying the display lights up correctly and shows a radio station, but there is absolutely no sound, not even static?

Have you checked to make sure the speakers are connected (easiest for rear speakers)? Have you checked the harness to see if there is continuity through the speaker wires (I know it is a pain to take the radio out)? Does it act the same way if trying to play a cassette? Have you checked the antenna wire at both ends (although I would expect at least static if the antenna were disconnected)?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yes, everything lights up and shows the radio stations when I scan through them. The antenna goes up and down every time I turn the radio on and off. The tape player is the same as the radio, no sound. The car was owned by old people so I highly doubt the speakers would be disconnected or tampered with. Everything on the car is bone stock except for the NGK spark plug wires. I'm taking it to Honda on Tuesday so I'll know for sure what it is.

Comment

Couple more longshots. Does the volume knob fit tightly and do you feel small 'detents' while turning it?

On OEM radios without a CD player, there is a small round plug in the back that needs to be installed or the radio won't work, although without this plug I don't think you'd even get the "code" message or have the a station show up correctly.

If you can get your hands on another radio (not near Cincinnati are you?), you could see if the system works. I know I have had trouble with some of my radios over the years getting very staticky (spelling?), but I don't think I've had one with your symptoms.

Edit 11:58 PM Maybe half an answer. I went out and pulled the 7.5 amp backup fuse in the under hood fuse box. The "Code" message still appeared when I turned the radio on, unfortunately, I don't have the code handy (I think I have to pull the radio - I marked it there) to be able to see if it responds similar to what you're describing. I'll do that in the morning. Maybe double check the 7.5 fuse.
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-03-2016, 12:59 AM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I checked the rear speakers last night and they are hooked up. The volume knob is tight like it should feel. I used to live in Ohio but now in South Carolina. I pulled the 7.5 under the hood to reset the radio to put the code back in. Fixed that part already. I went under neath the dash and checked the radio fuse and it was good. All the fuses are good. I never had this kind of issue with any of my other cars. I hope Honda can figure it out because it really sucks not having music in the car while driving. The speakers look brand new. The car only has 47k on it.

Comment

I did the other part of the test this morning. Pulled my radio to get the code (gotta write it down somewhere). With the 7.5 fuse pulled, it still asks for the code when I turn it on and the radio plays fine after punching in the code. Radio still played FM with static with the antenna wire disconnected as well.

Don't let Honda charge you anything to look at it; frankly, they will probably do what you have already done: check the fuses, check connections, etc. I think the radio is toast. Your best bet is finding another radio to see if that works.

Comment

I really hope it isn't toast but I cringe at the thought that is probably the case. My dad always takes his vehicles to Honda and they know him well so I know they won't charge to look at it. It's just a shame that I will have to replace it as I already have a list of things that need to be done. The ABS light is on along with the brake lamp and the passenger window is off track. Needs brake pads for sure and a good tune up. Who knows what else it needs. I know there is a leak in the exhaust but that can wait. The reason I wanted a new car is for the radio to work because my last car the wiring was all messed up and it worked sometimes but I never fixed it because I didn't plan on keeping it and sinking a whole lot of money into it.

I bought the accord because of the low miles and the great condition it was in over all. It needs a few things but all in all I couldn't pass it up. If the radio is shot due to age I'll end up putting a cd player in it with aux and usb. For the moment I just play music on my phone and crank the volume up LOL.
                    Last edited by RosewoodCB7; 12-03-2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RosewoodCB7 View Post
                      I really hope it isn't toast but I cringe at the thought that is probably the case. My dad always takes his vehicles to Honda and they know him well so I know they won't charge to look at it. It's just a shame that I will have to replace it as I already have a list of things that need to be done. The ABS light is on along with the brake lamp and the passenger window is off track. Needs brake pads for sure and a good tune up. Who knows what else it needs. I know there is a leak in the exhaust but that can wait. The reason I wanted a new car is for the radio to work because my last car the wiring was all messed up and it worked sometimes but I never fixed it because I didn't plan on keeping it and sinking a whole lot of money into it.

I bought the accord because of the low miles and the great condition it was in over all. It needs a few things but all in all I couldn't pass it up. If the radio is shot due to age I'll end up putting a cd player in it with aux and usb. For the moment I just play music on my phone and crank the volume up LOL.
                      You can check the ABS code by shorting the blue two socket connector under the right side of the dash, then turn the key to "on" (do not start the engine). The ABS light will blink any codes (two digit codes separated by 5 second pauses). For the brake lamp indicator, have someone push the brake pedal, then check your brake lights; if any are out change the bulb. If they all work, there is a sensor box in each of the outboard taillight, one of which has probably gone bad.

Comment

Thanks for the help and responses. I'll let you know when I get the car back from Honda what was wrong with the radio. I really hope I don't need a new one. Fingers crossed LOL

Comment

Well... Honda looked at it and they said it was internal failure so the radio is shot. I hope the speakers aren't shot either. I guess due to age and lack on using the radio and tape deck it finally gave out. I will eventually put a cd player in it. Thanks for the help anyways Fleetwood

Comment

I hate to say, "I told you so."

Comment

What cd player would you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                              X