Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Turbo oil & coolant plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo oil & coolant plumbing

The turbo I have chose for my build is a coolant cooled turbo. I am wanting to know where to get a coolant source and where to run the coolant discharge to.

As for the oil feed and drain I have found most people drain into the oil pan. I have also found that some people get their oil source from an oil filter sandwich adapter.

Is there a better source for the turbo oil feed? Any thoughts on this?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by 2winRB25 View Post
    Is there a better source for the turbo oil feed? Any thoughts on this?
    Better in what way?

You can use a T fitting into the oil pressure switch port instead of a sandwich plate if you wanted to.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I recommend the t fitting, sometimes those sandwich plates don't
      Work as they are supposed to
      MadLab Racing
      Southern Maryland

Comment

Ok the antifreeze sorce can come from anyplace as long as it doesn't slow down flow. So that leaves only few places on our cars. I have personally used the throttle body coolant line as a sorce. Just feed the turbo from the top of the turmostat housing and send it back to the inlet of the throttle body done. As for feed just use the t setup from the oil pressure sensor hole.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
          Better in what way?

You can use a T fitting into the oil pressure switch port instead of a sandwich plate if you wanted to.
          I read on this site and a couple others that some people did not prefer the oil filter sandwich plate for their oil source. However in the instances I found they did not provide information as to the location they did prefer or why they did not like the oil filter sandwich adapter plate for the oil source.

Thank you for your help with my oil feed question.

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
          I recommend the t fitting, sometimes those sandwich plates don't
          Work as they are supposed to
          I am going to go the T fitting route for sure.

Stealthmode is out of business which sucks. That kit they had would sure be nice to have. I bet I will mess with the wrong size fittings and lines for a few weeks like I did with my 240.

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
          Ok the antifreeze sorce can come from anyplace as long as it doesn't slow down flow. So that leaves only few places on our cars. I have personally used the throttle body coolant line as a sorce. Just feed the turbo from the top of the turmostat housing and send it back to the inlet of the throttle body done. As for feed just use the t setup from the oil pressure sensor hole.
          Ok thats awesome. I was thinking that myself but did not know enough about the coolant flow to know if that was the proper way to do it.
          Last edited by evil_demon_01; 08-19-2013, 10:28 PM.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I am on the fence about this topic because the thermostat reduces flow when closed, so you would want to tap a source that wasn't effected by this.

Also, you wouldn't ideally want to send the hot coolant back into the intake.

I am considering using the coolant lines from the heater core as my option. Inlet for heater core to turbo, outlet from turbo to heater core after running through a modified tranny cooler to cool the coolant.

Thats my plan anyways. I never had any issues doing it the other way on my boosted f22a6, but, it just doesn't feel right to send hot ass coolant through the intake.

***Edit***

Something else I wanted to mention

Buy a power steering cooler, tranny cooler or something to that affect and run it inline between your turbo oil outlet and the oil pan.

Why dump hot oil into the pan? No need. Cool that shit first. Totally worth it.
            Last edited by toycar; 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
              I am on the fence about this topic because the thermostat reduces flow when closed, so you would want to tap a source that wasn't effected by this.

Also, you wouldn't ideally want to send the hot coolant back into the intake.

I am considering using the coolant lines from the heater core as my option. Inlet for heater core to turbo, outlet from turbo to heater core after running through a modified tranny cooler to cool the coolant.

Thats my plan anyways. I never had any issues doing it the other way on my boosted f22a6, but, it just doesn't feel right to send hot ass coolant through the intake.

***Edit***

Something else I wanted to mention

Buy a power steering cooler, tranny cooler or something to that affect and run it inline between your turbo oil outlet and the oil pan.

Thats some very good ideas that never crossed my mind. I will be running a fluid cooler between the turbo oil out and the oil pan. Very good thinking!

Comment

Would that even do anything? I mean is it proven to help? seeing as other hot oil is going back into the pan and the engine is hot as well.

I realize tranny coolers are different as its just the isolated transmission fluid, same with power steering coolers.

Comment

As I understand, the turbo oil seal rings cannot handle pressure otherwise they leak, and a cooler would require pressure to pump the oil through.

Thats why they have a restricted oil feed and a natural gravity feed back to the sump.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    As I understand, the turbo oil seal rings cannot handle pressure otherwise they leak, and a cooler would require pressure to pump the oil through.

Thats why they have a restricted oil feed and a natural gravity feed back to the sump.
                    I was just reading about pressure regulators that go in between the oil source and the oil input for the turbo. For the same reason as you mention, oil pressure on the turbo seals and they leak and cause smoke.

I do not think the regulators are necessary for our cars but I do like the idea of an oil cooler just to be safe. I would like more input on this subject.

Comment

Different turbo's require different stuff.

Some turbos actually do require a restrictor to up the pressure after the turbo. Others need a regulated pressure feed. The oil seal BS is exactly that.

Some turbos need the pressure, others dont. Setup the turbo correctly, and you have nothing to worry about. RB guy has said nothing about what turbo he is running, and you can run oil through a cooler without causing pressure issues for sure. No problemo.

I run an oil cooler on every single turbo app I have. One is larger than others to avoid generating pressure and the other 2 boosted cars I own have restrictors inline before the oil cooler.

The point of cooling the oil is obvious. Yes, the hot oil is going to the same place as other hot oils.

How fast does your engine spin again? What about your cams? All of the moving parts in your car never see 20,000rpm's but a turbo spins well over 100,000RPM's at times. So, the oil gets a lot hotter.

What happens when you put something hot directly ontop of something cooler? Apply science to this. The rate of expansion changes drastically with temperature and oil right?

Just spend a few minutes thinking about why hot oil in your pan MIGHT be a bad idea. Just like routing the coolant into the intake/.

Sure, you CAN get away with it. Anyone care to drop a few paragraphs on WHY ITS A BAD IDEA TO HEAT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD?

Surely I am not the only person posting on the forum today that actually went to science class.

Hot oil-needs to be cooled. Oil gets too hot, it can cause damage.

Hot oil probably doesn't cool as well as cool oil, right? Hot oil is thinner than cool oil, right? The hotter it gets, the thinner it gets, the more likely you are to suffer damage. Right?

Its all relevant. Google search "oil cooler for turbo" and you'll not only see plenty of people running them, you'll notice that companies that make turbo parts ONLY are also in the business of making oil cooler kits for turbo cars.

Like HKS, just as an example.

Just so its out there, the debate is,"Before the turbo or after" on oil coolers. Cool the oil before it hits the turbo, or after its heated by the turbo.

Honestly, in a perfect world you could do both. Flow restriction is the only thing you have to be aware of when fooling around with this. That is it.

It isn't,"Will an oil cooler blow my oil seals on my turbo"

Setting up the cooler in the first place is the most important part. Of course if the oil cooler is going to cause enough restriction that oil cannot flow, its going to cause a spike in pressure in the turbo resulting in the failure of the seal.
                      Last edited by toycar; 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM.
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I currently have and will be using a Precision 6765 T3 4 bolt with a .63 A/R. 3.5" or 3.0" in and 2.5" out

I got it used for $600 and it has about 10 runs on it. Still looks brand new and absolutely no shaft play.

The guy who sold me the turbo has another identical to this one but a .83 A/R iirc. Its a .81 .82 or .83, I cant remember what he said buts its one of those.

So if I decide I want the .8? all I have to do is go to him and swap him for no extra cost. I hand him this one he hands me the .8?. From my research the 6765 is about $1200 new and the .63 would be better for what I need than the .8?

edit- since its getting to where people need to know more about my set up to help me I'm going to go ahead and give the info on the turbo set up its self. I have decided to sell a built KA24DE and S14 parts car to fund this turbo build. In a couple days I should be about $2000 closer to having this done. The rest will have to wait on paychecks. I make about $500-$750 a week so the ball should roll quickly.

Blueridge Motorsports H22 T3/38 Turbo Manifold
                        Turbosmart 38mm Ultra Gate External Wastegate
                        Generic Wastegate Dump Pipe Kit
                        Precision 6765 CEA Turbo T3 .63 A/R 4 Bolt
                        Turbosmart Blue Vee Port Pro Blow Off Valve
                        Spearco Intercooler 30”x 7.9”x 3.5”
                        Silicone 3.5” x 2.5” Reducers
                        Stainless 3.5” T Clamps
                        Intercooler Piping Kit 2.5” With T Clamps
                        Turbosmart Boost Tee Manual Boost Controller

As for the engine:

Bisimoto 1000cc Fuel Injectors
                        AEM Fuel Rail & Fuel Pressure Regulator
                        Turbosmart Liquid Filled Fuel Pressure Gauge
                        Cusco Oil Catch Can
                        Summit Premium Battery Relocation Kit
                        -
                        AEM True Time Cam Gears
                        Bisimoto Heat Shield Intake Manifold Gasket
                        Bisimoto Pro Valve Springs & Retainers
                        Bisimoto Race Damper
                        Mahle Gold Series Pistons 87.25mm
                        Bisimoto Stainless Standard Valves
                        Eagle H Beam Rods
                        ACL Race Bearings
                        Cometic Head Gasket
                        Bisimoto Level 2.4 Turbo Camshafts
                        ARP Main Stud Kit
                        ARP Head Stud Kit
                        -
                        KMS Stage 2 Head Porting
                        KMS Crank Lightening & Balancing
                        -
                        Quaife LSD
                        Drive Shaft Shop level 2.9 Axles
                        Clutch Masters FX700 Steel Flywheel Twin Disc Clutch Kit
                        Syncrotech Carbon Rebuild Kit
                        ESP Traction Bar Kit With Front Mount

Nothing is final, I'm still doing some research.
                        Last edited by 2winRB25; 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Sell that turbo man, seriously a 67mm for 300whp? That is a 700whp turbo. You will hate the lag and that turbo will hate running such low boost. If you do keep it you will need a LARGE wastegate, not the small 38mm.

Since the return of the turbo is gravity putting a cooler or anything that could slow the flow and back oil up into the turbo is a bad idea. A oil cooler is a ok idea but not inline with a turbo.

If there is a special turbo oil cooler I would like to see it, my search showed nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
                            Sell that turbo man, seriously a 67mm for 300whp? That is a 700whp turbo. You will hate the lag and that turbo will hate running such low boost. If you do keep it you will need a LARGE wastegate, not the small 38mm.

Since the return of the turbo is gravity putting a cooler or anything that could slow the flow and back oil up into the turbo is a bad idea. A oil cooler is a ok idea but not inline with a turbo.

If there is a special turbo oil cooler I would like to see it, my search showed nothing.
                            I can most likely trade it for another. I know quite a few people.

Comment

Originally posted by 2winRB25 View Post
                              I can most likely trade it for another. I know quite a few people.

Good idea, thats a nice turbo but I bet you will be around 400whp with only 10psi and you could find a much better sized turbo for your goal.

Good luck with the build, im waiting to see pictures!
                              Last edited by Sordz; 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X