X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hackers remotely kill jeep on the highway

Interesting read.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

Yep. My job is hiring security just for that.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Wow.

Kinda makes the EMP cannon from 2 Fast 2 Furious seem like stoneage tech!

Comment

'twas only a matter of time. My friend has actually been predicting this, albeit jokingly, for the last couple years, with how so many aspects of the automobile are becoming electronically controlled, and the WIFI/Bluetooth head units, and whatever else. I guess it's a good thing having the latest car doesn't interest me.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I remember reading about the possibility years ago. This is the first I've seen of it actually being possible.

I can't imagine the skill it must take to be able to figure out how to do that!

Comment

I think things like this are going to be the end of the "digital everything" trend.
            Its pretty scary seeing just how much control over that Jeep they had, in the wrong hands this technology could be very dangerous.

RIP my last two CB7s.
            New rides:
            '82 Volvo 245 drift project
            '87 Volvo 244 daily
            Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

If you read the whole article you'll see that these guys have been working with Chrysler for the better part of a year so they didn't do it completely alone. This article was just published and there is already a fix for the 13 and 14 model year cars in the 15 model year cars don't have the security weakness.
              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Still, it shows that the weaknesses can be found and exploited. Honestly, as long as the wireless electronics and vehicle controls have any connection whatsoever, a skilled and knowledgeable person could likely take advantage. As plain old computer hackers have been showing us for years, there's always some unexpected weakness that can be exploited!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Still, it shows that the weaknesses can be found and exploited. Honestly, as long as the wireless electronics and vehicle controls have any connection whatsoever, a skilled and knowledgeable person could likely take advantage. As plain old computer hackers have been showing us for years, there's always some unexpected weakness that can be exploited!
                  It still bothers me that the head unit CAN is integrated with the whole freaking car. It was an isolated system not too long ago...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I seen this on the news this morning. I was surprised it was possible to hack the vehicle to the degree at which they did.

Comment

Well it's the nature of CAN Universal language to all controllers means if a can talk to b, b can talk to c, and c can talk to d, then a can talk to d. Which isn't a problem if the controllers aren't flashable. But if they are, which is necessary to save cost of repair, then the controllers need to have some form of active security. The funniest part of this situation is the engineers don't even like reflashing for tuning purposes because if a decimal or any character is wrong it bricks the whole controller lol. Try being two hours from the proving grounds at an EPS supplier and brick a steering gear just trying to change the cal. Your ass it's stick for a while...

Comment

This is very true. I've seen the schematics for the FCA head units and I know the chip they more than likely wrote to. As evident, there is NO security present in those things. CAN is an extremely basic serial communication protocol. I could teach it to a 10 year old. Once you get the right IDs and Data bits it's a done deal.

@domesticated Do you know or have you heard of a Valencia White that works at Chrysler? I'm sure she isn't in your department, but you never know...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          Once you get the right IDs and Data bits it's a done deal.
                          That's the key there... I deal with CAN a little bit. You'd be amazed how hard it is for me to get those hex IDs lol. And I'm internal.

And no, I don't know White. She's IT?

Comment

She is Process Design, business systems analyst.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Hmm, the system said her job title is Drive IT, no idea what that is lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X