Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Random Sputter at startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Sputter at startup

I'm having a sputter at startup. It happens on random occassion and I'm starting to get irritated. When I start the car , I always let the fuel pump prime and start it up once the relay clicks. Once that's done I start the car up and sometimes it's sputtering mildly and catches itself after 3 seconds. Let the car warm up and it acts like it's normal. Drive the car around town, go home and rest if for a couple of hours. I start it again and the sputter is not there.

It first happened about 1 week ago, the second is today. I checked my spark plugs wires , spark plug , distributor internals , oil , coolant , main relay , ignition coil , oxygen sensor and they all look fine and dandy. All parts mentioned are approx 4 - 6 months old except for the distributor which is 1.5 year old and main relay being the original since mile zero.

Facts:
    - Idle is set properly
    - IACV is clean
    - FITV is tight
    - No vaccum leaks
    - No exhaust smoke and no sweet smell
    - No oil in coolant
    - No coolant in oil

I'm suspecting:
    - Fuel Pressure Regulator
    - Ignition Switch
    - Fuel Pump
    - HG (my coolant in overflow bottle disappears)
    - Ignition Timing
    - Battery cables
    - Weak ground

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ExplodingCake; 03-13-2009, 05:41 PM.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Coil?
    wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
      Coil?
      brand new

Comment

Losiracer had a similar problem, I'm sure he ended up fixing the problem.
        Hold on I'll dig the thread up.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2302114

From page 8 onwards http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=103423&page=8

Both threads came to the conclusion of a blown headgasket.
          I would confirm it first before you jump in and change it though

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

So, I should give the car a leakdown test.
            I can also feel the engine is weaker than it used to be and I keep filling the coolant overflow bottle every 2 weeks which is highy unusual.

Thanks for the information. I highly appreciate it.

Car gives me the irritation at the wrong time since day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Konigstiger View Post
              So, I should give the car a leakdown test.
              I can also feel the engine is weaker than it used to be and I keep filling the coolant overflow bottle every 2 weeks which is highy unusual.

Thanks for the information. I highly appreciate it.

Car gives me the irritation at the wrong time since day 1.
              Losing the coolant is a good indication to suspect the HG, Providing you don't have any leaks from anywhere else.
              Do a leak down test and the Honda test he described - Which is basically using a coolant pressure tester (pressurises the cooling system) and leave it on over night. In the morning check to see if there is any coolant in the bores.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                Losing the coolant is a good indication to suspect the HG, Providing you don't have any leaks from anywhere else.
                Do a leak down test and the Honda test he described - Which is basically using a coolant pressure tester (pressurises the cooling system) and leave it on over night. In the morning check to see if there is any coolant in the bores.
                It used to happend to me last year but it turned out to be the faulty coil wire. Now this happens again.

I got curious and got a quote from a shop which is owned by my friend and gave me $650 on everything (Honda parts) , new oil , new coolant , resurfacing and new head bolts. I might stick in the timing belt as well.

Hopefully after the test , it's not the headgasket.

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing. It sputtered for about the first 5-7 seconds after I started the car then stopped. It turned out to be my headgasket was leaking.
                  1990 LX Coupe-----1992 LX Sedan

Comment

i would say fuel system is bleeding down at night or coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber and will cause it too miss for a few seconds however there would be an indication of smoke upon star up.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      i would say fuel system is bleeding down at night or coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber and will cause it too miss for a few seconds however there would be an indication of smoke upon star up.
                      The miss does it randomly. Sometimes it does , sometimes it doesn't , but mostly it doesn't. For this past 2 weeks , I have experienced it two times.

Comment

UPDATE:

- Coolant

- I have a found a small leak on the radiator lower area. It's a small metal hose for the power steering cooler or auto tranny cooler. Will still go for leakdown and compression test just to be sure.

Comment

glad it's steering away from the HG.

Comment

dam i have the same problem to. i was thinking vacuum leak i have the sir and just the lil autozone oil breathers..hooking up the vacuum stuff soon.

but does your car like also feel weird between 1500-2500 rpm's trying to keep a constant speen about 40 or 50. idk if my car smokes a lil when it starts but i do know at idle its fine and clear as can be...i also am under the smog test by a good bit they say. lol. so idk lol. im gonna keep looking at this thread
                            Accord SE

93se
                            Members Ride
                            Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                            Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
                              dam i have the same problem to. i was thinking vacuum leak i have the sir and just the lil autozone oil breathers..hooking up the vacuum stuff soon.

but does your car like also feel weird between 1500-2500 rpm's trying to keep a constant speen about 40 or 50. idk if my car smokes a lil when it starts but i do know at idle its fine and clear as can be...i also am under the smog test by a good bit they say. lol. so idk lol. im gonna keep looking at this thread
                              Used to have that sputter on low rpms and it turned out to be is my oxygen sensor is loose.

Right now I'm still figuring it out my current problem.

The car was on and off yesterday but the sputtering at startup was not there. Now I'm figuring it's something electrical.
                              The tests will be done on wednesday or thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X