CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Swaps

Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

CBAccordA4 is cool... so far.
F22B To H22A Swap. Words and Pics

My attempt to make a swap thread. Please forgive me, there are limited pics as my wife took the camera to go on vaca with. There might be a few Key pics missing.

My reason for swapping the motor is actually because I spun a bearing on the F22B on cylinder #2, either due to a misshift or low oil. I tried to do a quick fix and replace all the rod bearings and smooth out the journal with emery. It ran smooth for 2 hours only until I hear that loose bearing noise again. Instead Of taking out the crank and dealing with so much disassembly, I went to pick up another F22B DOHC. The Engine Depot were all out but they had an H22 for a price my 2 friends wouldnt let me pass up so I checked and test compression, oil, etc and it was all good. So I ended up with the H22, dont get me wrong I always wanted one.

The F22B DOHC before we took it out.

As you can see or maybe not so well, the wiring harness is not in the best of shape. Shredded peices of loom and tape, soldering and crimping all haunt this engine bay even though it may be hard to see. This time around its going to be cleaned up. Luckily one of my swap homies does wirning for a living so instead of buying a new wire harness which is what I planned, he planned on cleaning the old one up.

The F22B on its way out with everything disconnected.

Remember to take off any accessories that might be in the way, In my case, we took off the Crank pully and took out the radiator instead of the accessories and it came out just fine.

The next step was to swap my tranny from the F22B over to the H22A. While its out of the car, might as well clean it.

Looks clean but its still a peice of shit.

Heres a pic of the head internals, not the cleanest I've seen, the owner probably skipped a few oil changes. I'm just gonna do 2 rapid oil changes ina a 2 week period and use Royal Purple, see what the hype is about.

The old head was so much cleaner

The next step was to swap the Automatic tensioner out for a Manual one. I used two vice grips to lock both cams to the belt on each side, then proceeded to take the tensioner parts out. You can use the following from your F22B or F22A.
A. Both the timing and balancer belt tensioner.
B. The through bolt that the tensioner assembly slides on.
C. The tensioner springs.
D. Spring perch for timing belt tensioner.
You need to order from HONDA the 1mm washer that spaces the tensioner assemly bolt from the block. You need to order the bolt on piece that the tesnioner arm is bolted to to set the final tension. You need to order the 10mm dowel pin the the right side of tensioner slides onto in order to set a correct and flush tension.
If you dont want to strip your old parts just order the entire conversion kit.

Everything is not converted and in place except for the bolt on piece for the left side tensioner arm to bolt to for final tesnion.

I had to also swap Top plenum and Throttle body. Not only was the Map and TPS sensor broken on the throttle body, but both inlets on the TB and plenum were at least 1mm to 2mm smaller than what came on my F22B. I had come to the conclusion that this must be one step on how they reduce power for the automatic setups. They were both stamped with a P13 with letter following and those letters were different on the two. One said HF1 and one didnt. Heres some pic of the differences.

Here is the F22B TB on the H22A plenum. You can see the ring inside which means its significantly smaller.

Now all the wirning is done and the harness looks like a brand new H22 harness. New tape, soldering and heat shrink done. The motor came without a V-tec pressure sensor. Luckily my boy had an extra one laying around, otherwise we would have to have the V-tec pressure wire cross paths with the solenoid wire. The motor was a 97 so I dont know if that had something to do with there being no sensor present.
Its time to put the motor back in and the harness is plugged to the sensors on the engine. Installing we kept the crank pulley off the get good clearance.
The F22A or F22B pulley muct be used or you will have clearance issues from hell. You can either use your old power steering pump by shaving down the back of the power steering bracket and bolting it on, or you can reweld your power steering line for the h22a fitting which is what I opted for.
The V-tec and Knock sensor wires are now routed in to the cab to go to the ecu plugs. The knock sensor can be skipped if you have an ecu to not ask for one.
I also had to buy a new speed sensor because my old one took a shit. Remember, no VSS, no V-tec.
Luckily a downpipe for the H22a was thrown in with the deal but unluckily it wasnt a direct fit. What we had to do was drill or cut holes or more space toward the center of the pipe. The Accord Catalytic and the H22a downpipe was the same shape, only the H22a was bigger, the goal was to get the holes closer toward the middle so that the CAT bolts can slide in, and they did.
Mounting up the engine was simple with minor manipulation. I used the H22A power steering belt and an H23 alternator belt. The only difference was the h22 accessory units have 6 grooves and the f22b/h23/f22a ahve 5. It worked for me regardless, the belts are tight and they dont wander or walk off track.
Now its ready to fire up and it fired up strong right after it for a little gas going to the motor. Very strong motor, the compression number were a little above 260 or 270 when I picked it up.
The H23/F22B spark plug wires cannot be used, they are too short, I was pissed because they were NGK. When i say too short I ment the length fro top the valve cover to the actual spark plug.

Heres how it came out after it was cranked for the first time.

Runs perfectly. The difference I feel at High RPM with this motor is like night and day from the F22B.

If anyone one wants some work done and likes the work we did, in NYC, Tri-state maybe, just let me know and we'll make something happen.

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'

Last edited by CBAccordA4; 05-05-2009 at 05:55 PM.
CBAccordA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
93cb7alldway
CB7tuner Member

93cb7alldway is cool... so far.
Nice work man! Where are you in Brooklyn? Where did you got the motor from?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93cb7alldway View Post
Nice work man! Where are you in Brooklyn? Where did you got the motor from?
Thanks. Im between Brooklyn and Queens. Got the motor from JDM Engine Depot. How bout You?

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
90LXKING
CB7tuner Member

90LXKING is cool... so far.
How is JDM DEPOT, i just checked out the site can you give me info on how there service was ?

93 SE
Junked The 90 LX
90LXKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Its pretty good. Between me and my friend we bought about 5 motors from them along with a few accessories. All compression tested, valve cover popped and the prices, well, I guess not that bad, but being we bought a few motors from them they might ease up a lil. Good people to deal with though

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
baracuda
Southern Regional Moderator

baracuda is cool... so far.
why did you swap for the h22? wanted v-tec and some more power?
baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baracuda View Post
why did you swap for the h22? wanted v-tec and some more power?
Well, not necessarily. Actually my F22B spun a bearing on cylinder #2. Long story short I wound up with an H22 taking the easy way out. My entire reasoning for swapping will be at the top of the thread.

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Pics After Driving and Cleaning

These are pics taken after I drove the car for a while then cleaned it up a lil. I'll take some daytime pics soon.

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
93cb7alldway
CB7tuner Member

93cb7alldway is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAccordA4 View Post
Thanks. Im between Brooklyn and Queens. Got the motor from JDM Engine Depot. How bout You?
Likewise I got my motor from Junar, Tony and Zach at jdmenginedepot way back and it is still running strong. I want to do an H22 auto swap on my other cb as soon as funds is sufficient. Now I know someone can do it for me when I am ready.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
baracuda
Southern Regional Moderator

baracuda is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAccordA4 View Post
These are pics taken after I drove the car for a while then cleaned it up a lil. I'll take some daytime pics soon.

how was the diffrence between the 2? always wanted to know
baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baracuda View Post
how was the diffrence between the 2? always wanted to know
I feel that that the F22B has better low end torque. The difference in the H22a is the mid to highrange power. From 4000 rpm and on, the motor pulls and feels way stronger and when the V-tec engages it jsut a continuous pull, feels like it doesnt get weary of revving. However the F22B kinda slows down once its closing in on the 6500-7000 rpm mark. I'm evaluating these motors fearly becasue I've used the same tranny with both.

I like the F22b butt dyno torque curve and I like the H22A's butt dyno horsepower.

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
Ant
CB7tuner Member

Ant is cool... so far.
Good job on the write-up. How much oil where you putting in the F22B?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Good job on the write-up. How much oil where you putting in the F22B?

About 4.5 quarts everytime I changed oil. I did scrape the oilpan to make the drian bolt leak, but slowly

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Haccord21
CB7tuner Member

Haccord21 is cool... so far.
Whats the redline on that h22? or rev limiter? If you got an ecu that took it past the stock redline would you only lose power after the redline? Just some questions. swap looks good though. cant wait for an h22
Haccord21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
highmilage
CB7tuner Member

highmilage is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to highmilage
yo imma need a hand wit my swap. im in bk but the motor is in queens thats were im doing the swap @ u down CBACCORDA4?
highmilage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haccord21 View Post
Whats the redline on that h22? or rev limiter? If you got an ecu that took it past the stock redline would you only lose power after the redline? Just some questions. swap looks good though. cant wait for an h22
Well I've been driving with a street tuned P28 that was tuned on another H22. The rev limiter was set to 8000 rpm there and it pulled all the way to 800 rpm as well. Im just putting in the stock p13 ecu for the first time. It sucks compared to the tuned p28. But in nuetral the rev limit is set to 6500. While driving the, the engine revved to about 7500, it didnt limit but I dont ever pass that point anyway, I baby this shit for the most part. So to answer your question, I dont rev it high enough to start losing significant power. I dont like to rev way past the powerbands peak. The stock ecu lets you rev enough for a stock motor in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmilage View Post
yo imma need a hand wit my swap. im in bk but the motor is in queens thats were im doing the swap @ u down CBACCORDA4?
Well Im kinda busy this weekend with with mothers day and shit, not that Im a mother, but I got alot of mothers around me, not only that Im busy making money. Do you have any help at all, do you have swap experience? How far along are you? If you didnt start yet, give the job to me OR PM me the address and if I have any time I'll see what I can do.

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
excalibur02
Wanna be JDM whore

Location: north new jersey Owns: Turbo cb6 & NA cb7 I'm: NJs 5-lug King ;-0
excalibur02 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to excalibur02
so what did you end up doing to your top intake manifold? You could of kept the h22 one and dremel off the tps sensor bolts. Then just use a good tps and philips screws

Instagram username MAURO02

If my pictures do not work and you see ****.com replace it with m1xe.com
excalibur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #18
CBAccordA4
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur02 View Post
so what did you end up doing to your top intake manifold? You could of kept the h22 one and dremel off the tps sensor bolts. Then just use a good tps and philips screws
If you mean the throttle body, I just used the one from the F22B. Both because the sensors were in tact and the map sensor on the H22a TB was an plug/electronic sensor where the F22B is a vacuum plug sensor that goes to the vaccuum box on the firewall as all CB7s have. If you meant the top plenum on the intake manifold, I also used the one from the F22B because the port hole was simply bigger than the H22a. The F22B had a stamp on it, p13 HF4 and the H22a read P13 HF1.

Top is F22B, bottom is H22a Plenum.
Chill

MY WHIP
H22A Swap
I'm 'THE STIG'
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
highmilage
CB7tuner Member

highmilage is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to highmilage
i didnt start the swap yet and i have a lil experience. im in the process of putting the motor back together. but i plan on putting the motor in around the end of may or beginging of june. i got a few hands but i figure it would deff be help ful to have some one there who has dont this swap before
highmilage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #20
d112crzy
Banned

d112crzy seems to have made some friends!
You're gonna love it tons more once you get that proper ecu
d112crzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: