Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

JDM Climate Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM Climate Control

I am interested in putting this in my cousin's car.

I understand what this type of system needs to function:

1. sensors (sunlight, ambient temp., cabin temp., A/C Evap. temp., and Cooling System temp.),

2. Air Mix Control (vacuum or electric actuated)

3. Transistorized blower control (with a High Pass Relay)

This is not my first time doing this sort of thing, my 5th Gen thread.

In my car (a 1997 Honda Accord EX-V6 w/Leather), I went from my stock US 5th Gen Honda Accord climate control…

To a fully operational digital climate control.

But, I do have some questions with regard to installing the JDM equivalent in my cousin’s car.

On the Accord 2.0 Si, was the Heater Valve vacuum controlled? I know that both the Vacuum Solenoid and Electronic Auto Mode Motor Assembly use a 5V reference for position and are completely interchangeable in some situations; it really depends on the HVAC design. I simply would like to know more about the original design so that I can make an educated decision as to how I will design my adaptation to my cousin’s 1990 Honda Accord EX Sedan.

For everyone that has a JDM climate control in a US Accord and has it functioning properly, did you guys and gals use a JDM Transistor, or did you guys try any of the other Transistor Assemblies that came with the Acura Legend, Vigor, RL, TL, TSX or MDX.

Can someone post a pinout for the actual climate control unit? Or at least let everyone know how many connectors go into the control unit and how many pins it/they have? I know of only two designs: a single connector design (found in the US 1G CL), and a dual connector design (found in the 5G RHD Accords with digital climate controls). The colors of the wires are identical in both, but can often lead redundant sensor input if not wired correctly, e.g. using a Heater Core Sensor and Cooling System Temperature Sensor, at the same time.

Lastly, what color is the display on the JDM climate control? Blue-green? Amber? Did the Accord 2.0 Si come with both colors as options?

This should be a fun swap. After doing my car, I felt like I had installed a radio with alot of wiring; so I know what to expect. I got mine done in 22 hours, it was a blast. You guys should see more of me on this site. My cousin is Ford guy (ex-Mach 1 owner), but ended up with the Accord recently. He does not know much about them, but is learning from me everyday; as I learn from you guys and the Helms manual. Right now, he is letting me play with his car until school starts. In April, I threw rear disc brakes on the car; it took about 30 minutes to get it out of the junkyard and 2 and a half hours to install it in his car. Last weekend I did a 5th gen upgrade to the trunk space.
    Last edited by James Matteu; 07-03-2009, 09:12 PM.
    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
    C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
    MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
    ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
    You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Damn, you are one to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by James Matteu View Post

Lastly, what color is the display on the JDM climate control? Blue-green? Amber? Did the Accord 2.0 Si come with both colors as options?
      The only one i know... lol...

Its Amber.

The CD5 swap looks great btw!

Comment

the valve was vacuum operated on the accord, controlled by a solenoid obviously. ive found that believe it or not just about all of the accord/prelude/acura stuff is completely interchangeable. the mix control motor bracketry may line up incorrectly but thats always a custom job anyway. your experience with the 5th gen is just about all you need, short of sourcing another set of the parts and getting the pinouts (which i cant really help you with)

good luck and keep us updated, ive been sitting on a set of these parts for 3 years now, and im very familiar with how to hook it all up... just havent had the push to do it yet.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

lol I have yet to find a harness for mines too. but once I do there will be "wolf digi CC harnesses" for sale

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
            lol I have yet to find a harness for mines too. but once I do there will be "wolf digi CC harnesses" for sale
            thats one of the things that i have extra of? lol from mr phil. not ready to sell it just yet though, just fyi.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              thats one of the things that i have extra of? lol from mr phil. not ready to sell it just yet though, just fyi.
              so you were the one that got it!

lol I need it just too look at it. once I see the colors of the 2 main plugs that go to the CC. I can make clones!

cuz so far I have yet to see a honda/acura in the US with those 2 plugs that the JDM CC use. & Ive checked vigors/CLs/legends/ex...

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                so you were the one that got it!

lol I need it just too look at it. once I see the colors of the 2 main plugs that go to the CC. I can make clones!

cuz so far I have yet to see a honda/acura in the US with those 2 plugs that the JDM CC use. & Ive checked vigors/CLs/legends/ex...
                Me too, I only need to see the plugs and the colors of the wires coming out. Honda/Acura reuses many of their connectors, so I can just make my own...

I have fabricated my own harness before. I bought a OEM Optional Security System without the harness. I used the 22-pin green connector from the Gauge Cluster of another Accord (it is the same 22-pin green connector as the Security System) and made my own harness; see above. After moving some wires around to have the colors in the right places, I had a pigtail that looked no different from the real deal. For the Security System's Memory Input Voltage, I used the 1-pin brown connector that grounds the Rear Window Defogger found on 1996-97 Accords.

I can pretty much use any connector that matches the pin size and pin number of the digital climate control connectors. 'Night Wolf', I did not know there were two connectors.
                Last edited by James Matteu; 07-03-2009, 10:47 PM.
                1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:

You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

A Plan!

I slept on this idea last night and this is the idea I woke up with this morning. Okay, here it goes.

I will disconnect my CL Digital Climate Control (DCC) and use jumper wires to connect the CL connector to the 4th Gen JDM DCC. That way I will be able to test the 4G JDM DCC's ability to use the CL's sensors and transistor assembly. I will leave it in my car for a week to test the 4G JDM DCC in a variety of conditions.

What I really need is someone that has a pigtail for the 4G JDM DCC to post a pic of the connector with the wires splayed out, like so...

I have a hunch that the 4G JDM DCC is wired identically to that of the 5th Gen JDM DCC (see below) given they both have two connectors rather than a single one like other US Market DCCs,

and if that is the case, then the wiring should be something like this:

20-pin BLK JDM DCC unit connector:

1 ORN/BLK - Power transistor
                  2 GRY - Airmix motor
                  3 RED/WHT - Airmix motor????????
                  4 RED/YEL - Airmix motor
                  5 BLU - Mode ctrl motor
                  6 BLU/RED - Mode ctrl motor
                  7 YEL/GRN - Mode ctrl motor
                  8 LT GRN/BLK - Mode ctrl motor
                  9 LT GRN/WHT - Mode ctrl motor
                  10 BLU/BLK - A/C Compressor Pressure Switch
                  11 BRN - Evaporator temp sensor
                  12 YEL/GRN - All temp sensors common ground
                  13 WHT/RED - Sunload temp sensor
                  14 PNK - Heater Core Temperature Sensor
                  15 BRN/WHT - Ambient temp sensor
                  16 YEL/RED - Inside temp sensor
                  17 PNK/BLK - Airmix motor
                  18 LT GRN - Mode ctrl motor
                  19 Not used
                  20 Not used

8-pin GRY JDM DCC unit connector:

1 BLK/YEL - Fuse #8, 12V, 7.5A, Hot with key in the ON position
                  2 GRN/RED - Recirculation motor
                  3 GRN/WHT - Recirculation motor
                  4 WHT/YEL - Memory, 12V, 7.5A, Hot all times, wire this to the stereo's WHT/YEL wire (C429 pin 4)
                  5 RED - Brightness controller
                  6 RED/BLK - Brightness controler
                  7 BLK - Ground (-)
                  8 BLU/RED - Blower motor and power transistor

So, pleeeease someone photograph their pigtail so I can get this tested.
                  1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:

Comment

Looking for pics of the connector!

I paypal'd the money for the Digital Climate Control (DCC), so any day now I will be able to get a good look at this thing before heading out to the junkyard to salvage a connector.

I hope it is blue-green...

and not amber. If it is amber, I will test it, build a harness for it (sensors and airmix mode ctrl motor included) and then sell it on this forum.

Things will definately go much faster if I can get a photo of the connector. Thanks!
                    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:

Comment

would definitely eyeing this thread..a person i knew doing this says 4th gen preludes & accords having quite the same wiring..its fuckin hard to search for the actual diagram for accords..anyway,good luck and keep on posting..

Comment

damm iwanna see the progress on this

Comment

if you haven't..

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=79144&page=7

Comment

Originally posted by casterX View Post
                            Thank you 'casterX' for the link, I appreciate your taking an interest in my fun project.

Yes, "I have" used the Search function and read all of the following:

Thread 1
                            Thread 1
                            Thread 2
                            Thread 3
                            Thread 4
                            Thread 5
                            Thread 6
                            Thread 7
                            Thread 8
                            Thread 9
                            Thread 10
                            Thread 11
                            Thread 12

That is how I knew to show what I had already done to my 1997 Honda Accord EX-V6 in order to avoid the "it's hard, so don't do it" type of responses. Hey, nothing against the responders, in most cases that type of response is/was a bit of sobering reality. When I searched other forums, I found that everyone pretty much gives the same type of responses as those found here.

However, I was disappointed by the lack of any posted wiring diagrams by those who have done the swap. Not to mention the photo posted by 'xScott' is a total tease, I can see the wires behind the unit, but not the connector itself .

I still would like a photo of somebody's connectors.
                            Last edited by James Matteu; 07-05-2009, 06:54 PM.
                            1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:

Comment

thats tight your one smart guy
                              CB-K for the win !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X