CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension

Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Shadow1 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow1
Spring Rates for a DD

I want a nice stiff ride but nothing too stiff to the point that it feels like im on a track. lol.

i plan on getting some Megan Racing coilover sleeves. ive heard from a couple of people people that they're not too stiff and not too soft. now i went on the website and i saw that they sell different spring rates for the coilovers. they have 8k springs and 10k springs.

would the 10k be stiff for DD? what about the 8k?
Shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
mndude07
Contributing Member

mndude07 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to mndude07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
I want a nice stiff ride but nothing too stiff to the point that it feels like im on a track. lol.

i plan on getting some Megan Racing coilover sleeves. ive heard from a couple of people people that they're not too stiff and not too soft. now i went on the website and i saw that they sell different spring rates for the coilovers. they have 8k springs and 10k springs.

8K would be pretty close to the H&R or Neuspeed race springs...the fronts at least. I wouldn't do 8k all around...that's too stiff in the rear in relation to the front.

A huge factor is the shocks you're using though?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndude07 View Post
8K would be pretty close to the H&R or Neuspeed race springs...the fronts at least. I wouldn't do 8k all around...that's too stiff in the rear in relation to the front.

A huge factor is the shocks you're using though?

so what would be a good spring rate for the rear?

ill be using some Tokico Illumina struts.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
so what would be a good spring rate for the rear?

ill be using some Tokico Illumina struts.
It depends on if you're trying to correct some understeer or not.
Neuspeed and H&R race springs are both about 485lbs front, 300lbs rear. That's about 8.7kg front, and 5.4kg rear just to give you an idea.

So with an 8 kg front, maybe like a 5 or 6 kg rear spring?
The front and rear of the car have different weights on the axles, and the difference between the front and rear stiffness affects under/oversteer properties.(weight distribution is a big factor) Traditionally you don't want the rear to be the same or stiffer than the front.

You could get away with 10kg in the front and 8kg in the rear as well for a bit stiffer setup.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
It depends on if you're trying to correct some understeer or not.
Neuspeed and H&R race springs are both about 485lbs front, 300lbs rear. That's about 8.7kg front, and 5.4kg rear just to give you an idea.

So with an 8 kg front, maybe like a 5 or 6 kg rear spring?
The front and rear of the car have different weights on the axles, and the difference between the front and rear stiffness affects under/oversteer properties.(weight distribution is a big factor) Traditionally you don't want the rear to be the same or stiffer than the front.

You could get away with 10kg in the front and 8kg in the rear as well for a bit stiffer setup.

well i know about the difference in the weight for the front and the back.

i just wanted a nice ride without all the bounce but i also want a stiff ride tho. but not to the point where i kill my back every time i drive the car.

is 10k stiff tho?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
xkjnboix
CB7tuner Member

xkjnboix seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to xkjnboix
8k F and 6k rear is my vote its better to have a soft spring and strong dampner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[color="Magenta"]
xkjnboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkjnboix View Post
8k F and 6k rear is my vote its better to have a soft spring and strong dampner
yeah but whats the spring rate on the Megan sleeves tho?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
Megan sleeves are 450lbs F, 350lbs R....so about 8kg front and 6.25kg rear....that would be a good setup for the Illuminas. I would say 8k is right at the beginning of the threshold of "stiff"....but everyone has a different opinion. I don't think my race springs 485lbs F, 300lbs R are that stiff, but then again, they are paired with Koni yellows so I have proper damping.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
xkjnboix
CB7tuner Member

xkjnboix seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to xkjnboix
Quote:
megan sleeves have a harsh rate. go check out meganracing.com it should be on there. they arent as bad as skunk 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[color="Magenta"]
xkjnboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
Megan sleeves are 450lbs F, 350lbs R....so about 8kg front and 6.25kg rear....that would be a good setup for the Illuminas. I would say 8k is right at the beginning of the threshold of "stiff"....but everyone has a different opinion. I don't think my race springs 485lbs F, 300lbs R are that stiff, but then again, they are paired with Koni yellows so I have proper damping.
well thats cool then. since they have 8k in the beginning, i should be fine then.

why is it bad to match the spring rates with the front and rear?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
CB7xTURBO
CB7tuner Member

CB7xTURBO is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to CB7xTURBO
im using 10k's on my front tokico illuminas and 330lbs in on my rears also illuminas.. i wanna go stiffer.. but this is not good for daily..

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

1991 Honda Accord EX - MY NEW ONE
1991 Honda Accord LX - Impounded and GONE
1993 Honda Accord EX H22 - SOLD

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED
CB7xTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
Ronald_Type-R
Accord of the Month: March 2007

Ronald_Type-R is cool... so far.
Quote:
why is it bad to match the spring rates with the front and rear?
I assume it's got something to do with weight distribution and handling characteristics? Matching the spring rates between front and rear or even running stiffer springs in the rear will increase the chance of over-steering, depending on the rest of your suspension setup

I'm currently running 14K up front and 8K in the rear, and I honestly still don't think it's stiff enough Well, the 8K rear is alright, but the front could be stiffer...I'm still tempted to run 16K up front and have the front shocks re-valved hehe..

So will you be running Illumina shocks? Because if I remember correctly, they don't really perform well with super-stiff spring rates? But anyways, that aside, I'd try 10K front and 6K rear, see how you like it

Just remember, running stiff springs also mean that you'll have to run good tires with stiff sidewall to make them work properly, or else your tires will flex and absorb all the bumps on the road and you will end up with a harsh ride because your suspension is not working the way it's supposed to....Also, remember to upgrade your bushings

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Ronald_Type-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #13
mndude07
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
I assume it's got something to do with weight distribution and handling characteristics? Matching the spring rates between front and rear or even running stiffer springs in the rear will increase the chance of over-steering, depending on the rest of your suspension setup

I'm currently running 14K up front and 8K in the rear, and I honestly still don't think it's stiff enough Well, the 8K rear is alright, but the front could be stiffer...I'm still tempted to run 16K up front and have the front shocks re-valved hehe..

So will you be running Illumina shocks? Because if I remember correctly, they don't really perform well with super-stiff spring rates? But anyways, that aside, I'd try 10K front and 6K rear, see how you like it

Just remember, running stiff springs also mean that you'll have to run good tires with stiff sidewall to make them work properly, or else your tires will flex and absorb all the bumps on the road and you will end up with a harsh ride because your suspension is not working the way it's supposed to....Also, remember to upgrade your bushings

Ronald

I agree about the Illuminas not handling very high spring rates...that's reserved for the likes of Koni or Bilstein.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7xTURBO View Post
im using 10k's on my front tokico illuminas and 330lbs in on my rears also illuminas.. i wanna go stiffer.. but this is not good for daily..

good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post

Ronald
yeah. i figured the tires would come into play somewhere in there. lol. but dag boy. 14k? and i thought 10k was stiff. lol. and yeah. ill be replacing some of the bushings that i can. i was looking on TASauto the other day about some poly-urethane bushings. they're somewhat cheap from what i was thinking about. lol.

Quote:

I agree about the Illuminas not handling very high spring rates...that's reserved for the likes of Koni or Bilstein.
i would get some Koni Yellows but i dont have that kind of money. lol. plus id have to get them with the GC's that everyone gets them with. lol. and thats like $750+. if i got those, i had might as well got the Func./Form Type One's that i wanted.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:

Honestly, What is "too" stiff for yourself?
Some people love 4k and some love 12k its just a personal thing.

My suggestion would be to get adjustable damper coilovers rather than swapping springs.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
Honestly, What is "too" stiff for yourself?
Some people love 4k and some love 12k its just a personal thing.

My suggestion would be to get adjustable damper coilovers rather than swapping springs.
thats why im getting the Illuminas. they're 5 way adjustable so im sure one of those settings will be good enough for me.

im thinking of using the set up the guy im getting the Illuminas from. he has them paired with Skunk2s and he said they're too bouncy i doubt they are because he said my car rides smoother than his. and im on ebay coilovers with OEM struts. lol.

so ill try his setup for a little while with the Skunk2s. if i dont like them then ill go ahead and get the Megan Racing sleeves with some 10ks up front and some 8k in the rear.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #17
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
If your prepared to spend to spend the money, you would be better to get "proper" adjustable coilovers, not sleeves.
Then adjust the spring rates as you see necessary.

Personally on my Teins, I can go from almost stock comfort (soft setting), to solid race (hard setting) just by turning the damper setting on the top of the shocks in less than 1 minute for all 4 corners.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
Shadow1
MidAtlantic Regional Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
If your prepared to spend to spend the money, you would be better to get "proper" adjustable coilovers, not sleeves.
Then adjust the spring rates as you see necessary.

Personally on my Teins, I can go from almost stock comfort (soft setting), to solid race (hard setting) just by turning the damper setting on the top of the shocks in less than 1 minute for all 4 corners.
eh....i do want an adjustable FULL coilover set up. but it'll be a while before i do get one. i just dont want to get one thats like 32 or 46 or 58 way adjustable. lol. i dont need that much of adjustablility. im not tracking it. lol. and most full coilover set ups offer that. thats kinda why im sticking with a sleeve/strut combo. the struts i have in mind are only like MAX 5 or 6 way adjustable.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #19
evil_demon_01

Quote:
eh....i do want an adjustable FULL coilover set up. but it'll be a while before i do get one. i just dont want to get one thats like 32 or 46 or 58 way adjustable. lol. i dont need that much of adjustablility. im not tracking it. lol. and most full coilover set ups offer that. thats kinda why im sticking with a sleeve/strut combo. the struts i have in mind are only like MAX 5 or 6 way adjustable.
Yes and no, Basically just don't waste money now compromising for something you want later on.

The Teins are IIRC 16 settings, and honestly it's so easy to do. Just turn a screw by hand an go.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
I am on 8/5.5 now and over bad roads it's pretty rough

If you're not tracking the car I would do 6/4 (336/224). Def stiffer than stock (240/150) but within reason. My 1st & 2nd CBs were on Neuspeed Sports and KONI YELLOWS (the more important part) and they handled + rode way better than my car does now. I am going with this setup again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: