H.I.Ds in projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.I.Ds in projectors

After seeing that McCulloch HID kit on 92Accord EX-R prjectors, really makes me wanna do it. this question is actually for you 92Accord EX-R if your reading this, but anyways so when I buy this kit I should just get 9006 ballast assembly and than just the H3 bulbs right? Since the headlight is alittle different from O.E.M how much more time(if any) did it take to wire it all up? If thiers anything else I need to know to make this a succesful conversion please let me know.

If you are going to use a OEM HID projector, they use D2S bulbs which is what you will need. The EBAY projectors use H3 and I have had HID's in them and the out put is not nearly has good as OEM retrofit. Any kit should work as long as you have the right size bulb and the temperature of the bulb will play a big role in how well you can see as well.
    1991 Black Accord Coupe
    Sprint Lowering Springs
    Neuspeed/Koni Sport Shocks
    Suspension Techniques Front and Rear Sway Bar
    17" Motegi DP6 with Bridgestone Potenzas
    TSX HID Retrofit with 4300K Bulbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sthrnba711

Comment

I know its possible to retro fit the TSX headlights into the JDM healights but not to sure if they would fit the projectors off ebay. Regradless, I know its gonna take some work and was planning on going down that road till I saw the Mcculloch HID kit that 92Accord EX-R put on his and the output looks amazing. You should take a look at his thread Sthrnba711 if you haven't already, so I'm just gonna buy the HID kit off ebay instead of trying to do all this work with the TSX headlights. If it looks nearly identical, than why not. If anybody has anypictures of the TSX retro fit, I'd really like to see how it looks compared to whatr I'm trying to do.

Comment

Here are two pics of my HID setup's. 6000K phillips kit in Ebay projectors and then APC housings with TSX projectors and phillips 4300K bulbs.

Ebay pic with 6000K: kit:

APC Housings with 4300K:

Both pics were taken from about 20ft from the wall and the TSX werent aimed yet. The difference in real life driving at night is night and day.
        1991 Black Accord Coupe
        Sprint Lowering Springs

Comment

Their is big difference. Now I see what all this bickering is about. Thanks for the pics Sthrnba711. this really gave me a good idea of what it will all look like. Now my question for you is How much would you say all of this cost you?(the retro fit on the apc's) and what were all the parts you had to use. If its not too expensive I could try it because I could try and get all of this done while I still have in my one piece projectors and not have to worry about having to hurry up since I have headlights in thier and could take my time whit all of this. Again if its not too expensive, I could consider doing this whole retro fit. Great job on that retro fit Sthrnba711, it looks really good . I can only imagine how good it must look rolling down the street.

Comment

Imo, retrofit is the way to go IF you are willing to spend the money. The cost of a parts for retrofit is between 350-500$ USD, depending on the quality and brand of projectors and ballast you buy.
            projectors - $150-200
            bulbs - $50-70
            ballast - $130-180
            i would suggest getting a wire harness to protect the ballast.
            TSX is a little more expensive than most other ones. If you play to go with e55 or anything else, anyone can vouch that any oem hid projectors will be MUCH better than your current setup and better than an hid kit in oem or replacement housing.

But if money is an issue, and you really want hids, then go with a plug and play kit.

cb7 light output is horrible because of the way it's designed, even if you go with an hid kit. At first, you will be happy with the hid plug and play kit, but eventually you will find out why retrofit is better. If you plan on getting hids, save up and keep saving for projectors.

Things you have to consider if you plan to go with oem hid projectors. The project will take you as long as a week to two weeks. If you only drive the accord, and have no other car, you will have to get another set of headlight housings. One will be for the project and the other will be on your car. Basically, I'm saying is that you will have to spend more money on an extra set of housings, unless you have another car, or you already have an extra set or someone is willing to send you their set.

You can check my members page for some pictures of tsx projectors in oem housing in my 91.
            Last edited by drey; 03-27-2006, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Here is a thread I created on another forum when I sold the Audi A6 projectors. The pictures in this thread basically show you the difference between the plug and play philips 4300k hid kit vs. a pair of audi a6 projectors (these don't fit our 4th gens)

http://forums.torontoaccords.com/vie...=35840&start=0

hid plug and play kit

vs. A6 projectors

Comment

You could use your stock headlight housings in the retrofit or the APC Housings work as well. I used the TSX projectors which are the biggest you can fit inside, and are nice cause they are sealed so if you dont want a sheild you dont need one. The Valeos also fit and a few others. The kit itself can be a plug and play but just make sure you get it with D2S bulbs and 4300K is the best.
                The projectors ran me about $185, the HID Kit about $300, the housing $120(if you dont use your stock), and about $20 in screws, paint and other material.

Its a great project to do in spare time and perfect if you dont need them right away and can take your time and make sure they are absolutely perfect, and then enjoy.
                1991 Black Accord Coupe
                Sprint Lowering Springs

Comment

And remember in the pictures that the TSX photo would be a lot brighter and better if they were aimed correctly, i had just put them on and wanted to see what they looked like and didnt adjust them cause it was like 2 in the morning.
                  Also if you have noticed the with the Ebay projectors the weird beam pattern they cause is still a problem with an HID kit installed so you loose a lot of the output that the HID produces. It all depends on your situation with time and money. Either way is better then stock though.
                  1991 Black Accord Coupe
                  Sprint Lowering Springs

Comment

Thanks for all the input Sthrnba711 and drey. I definetly do have the time to do this and would still have a car with headlights because my CB7 is my one and only car but the thing is that I have the ebay prjectors on thier right now. I guess that kinda helps me alittle cause now I could try and get this retro fit piece by piece instead of just spending $500 all at once, that wouldn't make it too expensive. Than I could really take me time without rushing anything. How bout Mccullogh. Do any of you have any past experiences with them cause I see that you were using phillips and 92Accord EX-R seemed to have great succes with that HID kit on his projectors. Maybe that has a something to do with the outcome or maybe not. Either way, I really am seriously thinking about doing that whole retro fit since I would be able to take all the time I need and thats what really keeps me open to the thought of this.

Comment

my advice, i would stay away from using an hid kit if you're going to use oem projectors. reason being is that if one of the bulbs break/doesn't work, finding one bulb from the same brand and color/kelvin would be difficult. oem d2r/d2s bulbs are so much easier to replace.
                      and at the moment, i'm very sure no stores would sell one bulb, you would have to buy the whole kit. it's a chance that i wouldn't take but everyone is different

Comment

You could by a kit from ebay or some other sites that come with everything you need to fit into OEM HID projectors. HIDplanet.com has a great kit with bulbs, ballast, and all the wires need to work on our stock setup. Its up to you if you want to go with OEM ballast but you will have to custom wire them in which could be a pain and sometimes more expensive then just buying a D2S Kit.
                        1991 Black Accord Coupe
                        Sprint Lowering Springs

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback Sthrnba711 and drey. You guys gave me a really good idea of what to expect with the pics. I really don't have any money right now after doing my swap so I might just end up doing the HID kit on my projectors. I really would like to do the retro fit but seems like a good amount of work that need to be done and quite a bit of money that I just don't have. Maybe if I use the Mccullogh kit like 92Accord EX-R I could get the same results that he got which is pretty damn good. I'm just wonderin how often they come out lookin good compared to lookin like crap. one last quick question for Trey, in that picture with the A6 projectors and the HID plug and play kit, was that kit put on projectors or were they put on the stock headlights? Again, thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

it's drey (not trey)..haha, but doesnt matter.
                            the plug and play hid kit was in my projectors. so thats kinda what you would see within a 90-91 accord. im sure its almost the same for a 92-93.

when i went from silverstars to the hit p&p kit, it was a HUGE difference
                            but from the p&p kit to the tsx retrofit, its a BIGGER HUGER difference i can literally see around 15-20 metres infront of me. on a 3 lane freeway, i can see all three lanes clearly which i couldnt with the p&p kit

i would suggest you research more information on the online community at http://www.hidplanet.com. there's a million pictures there i hope this helps.
                            i know you have the urge to get hids, but from my experience, do it right the first time if you want hids

edit: lol i didnt answer your question. i used d2s bulbs and the correct ballast for the A6 projectors. the hid p&p kit was already installed in the housings of my headlights. to clearify, i had two hid kits, one was specifically for the A6 projectors and one was the hid kit
                            Last edited by drey; 03-24-2006, 03:40 AM.

Comment

anymore questions..im willing to help you out. the best i can.
                              i aint an hid guru, but im learning

Comment

Working...
                              X