Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

boot-leg Blacktrax spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boot-leg Blacktrax spacer

i saw green cb7 made 5hp & 5tq with the Blacktrax spacer on his car. well it got me to think'n why can't i just use an extra IAB i have. the butterflys were already removed and the ends JB welded. so i put it on and of corse the studs & bolts were to short. so i hit up different auto shops and couldn't find bolts long enuf. so i put the idea on the back burner.

well i go out side today so i could start on my ABS removeal. and i tripped on a bolt. i look down and it's three of my AC compresser bolts. i pick it up & run in the house to try it out. there the right thread pitch & they'er long enuf.

update....only 3 of the AC bolts will work. the two spots that have studs are longer than the bolts. to replace them you need two 8 x 1.25 100mm bolts
    Last edited by sulimed; 10-25-2007, 11:02 PM.

lucky u man....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

Pretty cool project out of an extra IAB plate Doing an ABS removal too huh? I'm hoping to remove mine sometime too.

Comment

but isn't the material that's important metal will just transfer heat while their's is like a high grade plastic which doesn't carry much heat....

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
        My Ride thread
        Flickr
        Originally posted by d112crzy
        And it can only get better. That's the best part.
        All I gotta really say is:
        People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

the ENTIRE point of the spacer is that its insulating from heat... because its plastic... adding a blank IAB plate wont do anything whatsoever for you.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
            the ENTIRE point of the spacer is that its insulating from heat... because its plastic... adding a blank IAB plate wont do anything whatsoever for you.
            Well, not exactly the extra plate will increase runner volume, thus introducing more torque. But still the results will not be the same because the IAB plate is metal, and that conducts heat very well.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

guess you've never heard of air volume & velocity. basic principals of a 4 stroke combustion engine.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed
                guess you've never heard of air volume & velocity. basic principals of a 4 stroke combustion engine.
                yea tru but the main point of them is the material they are made of to insulate from heat....if it was just meant to be a spacer whats the point...everyone could just use an extra iab plate
                My Members Ride Thread

Comment

many cars benefit from increased plenum (V6 VQ 3.5 comes to mind) height and length, however if your going to the work may as well may it a material that doesnt conduct heat.

http://www.modernplastics.com/ptfe-v...et-p-1022.html

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by ceelooboob
                    yea tru but the main point of them is the material they are made of to insulate from heat....if it was just meant to be a spacer whats the point...everyone could just use an extra iab plate
                    uh...the main point is to make power by making the runners longer. It's not called an insulator, it's called a spacer.

I'm sure there wouldn't be much of a power difference between the plastic spacer and a normal IAB plate.(IF, and only IF, both were the exact same design).

There's probably more of a difference from cold morning to hot sunny day.

IF you're looking for thermal differences, then get one of those phenolic insulating IM gaskets.
                    Last edited by d112crzy; 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

uh...the main point is to make power by making the runners longer. It's not called an insulator, it's called a spacer.

I'm sure there wouldn't be much of a power difference between the plastic spacer and a normal IAB plate.(IF, and only IF, both were the exact same design).

IF you're looking for thermal differences, then get one of those phenolic insulating IM gaskets.
                      yes i know that increasing runner length will give power...i meant whats the point of just buying it as a spacer...for that just go to the junkyard and get an iab plate for 10 bucks and unscrew the 4 plates...and bam u gotta spacer for cheap...
                      My Members Ride Thread

Comment

actually i thought the blacktrax spacers were aimed at thermal isolation... news to me!!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

there used for both

Comment

actually i thought the blacktrax spacers were aimed at thermal isolation... news to me!!
                            x2..... ..... so for someone like me that already has an IM phenolic gasket, wouldn't benefit much more from this and a stacked IAB plate with butterflies deleted?...
                            Last edited by prNonVtec4u; 09-18-2007, 10:23 PM.

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                            My Ride thread
                            Flickr
                            And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                            All I gotta really say is:
                            People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

Originally posted by ceelooboob
                              yes i know that increasing runner length will give power...i meant whats the point of just buying it as a spacer...for that just go to the junkyard and get an iab plate for 10 bucks and unscrew the 4 plates...and bam u gotta spacer for cheap...
                              I don't see why people don't do that

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
                              X