Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

boot-leg Blacktrax spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did.... the day after i saw the thread on the blacktrax IM spacer i went out to my shed and tore down a spare IAB plate and pluged up the holes on the sides. looks exactly the same just transfers heat is all. im not sure how effective either would be on my car because i have the phenolic IM gasket

-sean
    Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
    Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

because its more effective marketing 'bad heat go away, gain 5 hp somewhere' than buy this 1/4 gasket and gain 1 hp.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

what about the all the coolant lines which run through intake the heat coming from there is takn and absorbed. Also the spacer is much larger so it can absorb more heat than the IM gasket. So I would think using both together would give the best performance.

Comment

Well duh it give the best performance if you use both.

My point is, that the thermal differences are most likely enough to be that significant. I'm sure the 5tq/hp comes from the extra runner length, not the heat difference.

The "lowers intake temp" is just a sale's pitch.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

My point is, that the thermal differences are most likely enough to be that significant. I'm sure the 5tq/hp comes from the extra runner length, not the heat difference.

I dunno, the math computes though for the temperature thing tho.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

I'm not saying that it doesn't lower temperature. I don't doubt that it lowers by quite a bit.

I'm saying the temperature difference isn't what gives you the extra power. At least not all of it, or even most of it.

Comment

forget it then, i'm just gonna pull the IAB plate for my old A6 mani and tear them babies down

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                My Ride thread
                Flickr
                And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                All I gotta really say is:
                People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

only one way to find out dyno, lower temp plus more air equals more power. See what the butt dyno says should feel the difference

Comment

i sure will, i should be able to get it done tomorrow or the next day, i'll see how that goes

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                    My Ride thread
                    Flickr
                    And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                    All I gotta really say is:
                    People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

so, what would perform better, install the extra plater under or above the iab's?

Comment

100X

Comment

Originally posted by Nocture
                          so, what would perform better, install the extra plater under or above the iab's?
                          most likely under. if you put it on top the air would get traped at the butterflies cause turbulence.......until they opened at least.

Comment

some info to back up my statements

quoted from Outlaw engineering, this is about their gasket kits.
                            Here's an example: One test vehicle (1994 Probe GT) recorded a best of 15.360@88.469 mph with a 60' time of 2.209 seconds prior to the installation of ThermoBlok spacers. Following the installation, the best run yielded a 15.262 @89.315 mph with a 60' time of 2.282 seconds. The temperature during both runs was 55°F. To summarize, the car was ~0.1 seconds quicker and ~1 mph faster, all with a .073 second slower launch. According to rule of thumb, it would require approximately 5 additional peak horsepower for the trap speed to increase by 1 mph.
                            While the products are completely different, the concept of getting power is the same.

you cannot feel a difference of .1 seconds. For all we know, that faster time could have been cause by slightly better shifting.

Those products would actually work better than the spacer. Why? Because the gaskets are installed where there is actually heat being produced. It stops the manifold from getting as hot with the IM/head gasket.

This spacer is all the way at the top of the runners. The runners are still as hot as before, just the top of the IM isn't.

I'm wondering where blacktrax measure the intake temp. I know its hard, but it should have been measured as close to the intake ports as possible.

I'm sure there would be a noticeable difference in temps at the IM from the bottom of the runners.

In conclusion, tho the material the spacer is made out of is designed for cooling and the site claims that its main purpose, the power actually comes from the extra runner length. Yes, the lower temps help, but not that much, especially since the runners are probably just as hot as they would be without the spacer.

I'm sure some good power can be had with both of these products combined tho.

Comment

While the products are completely different, the concept of getting power is the same.

you cannot feel a difference of .1 seconds. For all we know, that faster time could have been cause by slightly better shifting.

Those products would actually work better than the spacer. Why? Because the gaskets are installed where there is actually heat being produced. It stops the manifold from getting as hot with the IM/head gasket.

This spacer is all the way at the top of the runners. The runners are still as hot as before, just the top of the IM isn't.

I'm wondering where blacktrax measure the intake temp. I know its hard, but it should have been measured as close to the intake ports as possible.

I'm sure there would be a noticeable difference in temps at the IM from the bottom of the runners.

In conclusion, tho the material the spacer is made out of is designed for cooling and the site claims that its main purpose, the power actually comes from the extra runner length. Yes, the lower temps help, but not that much, especially since the runners are probably just as hot as they would be without the spacer.

your my hero right now

Comment

good info, yeah the blacktrax spacer helps cool down the temp a bit but like u said they provide more runner length, which helped lean out the motor in which more power was made. But if u think about it less heat is being transferred to the runners, as all the coolant which flows through tb, iacv, fiv cause heat to go down to the runners without the spacer there. But there's still the heat from the head

I noticed while i was at the track how hot the plenium was compared to the runnersrunners, spacer does it's job there. But i agree the extra runner length is what made most of the power

Comment

Working...
                                X