Talk some sense into me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk some sense into me.

I found an 86 Starion on CL for $2500 or comparable trade. I've swapped a few emails and the guy is interested in a trade for my coupe (minus the ICE). I know the Starion/Conquest is unreliable and hard to find parts for. On the other hand, I've wanted one since the first time I drove one in 87 and it's not going to be my DD. It has 69k original miles, a broken cv shaft and a bent control arm. He has some extra parts to go with it, but I don't know what they all are yet.

Starion:
    69k miles
    2.6 liter turbocharged I4 making 187 hp
    5 speed, rear drive
    ugly burgundy leather interior
    black exterior

My coupe:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=101640

talk to Copilot. i can give u phone numbers. they are fun but no where near as reliable as an accord.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=68427 his members thread. i think your woman kill u if u HAVE to work on the car every few months. i just dont see a Starion making it to 200k miles on its original engine. hell not even to 100k w/o new headgasket

P.S i wanted one and did research, look at starquestclub.com
    Last edited by kc8enb07; 06-21-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Problems I see for you.
      1) 86 fuel systems are shit.
      2) 86 ignition systems are shit.
      3) Replacement control arms/axles are NOT EASY to find(hopefully he has some)
      4) They are HIGH maintenance. DD not recommended(yes i read your post)
      5) I love mine to death, but it's a love/hate relationship
      6) The 86 has 4 bolt axle shafts which are weak. The 88-89 have 6 bolts which are stronger. You will want to swap.

That said, the fuel system and ignition are pretty easy to replace. Swap in an 88-89 ecu, igniter, fuel injectors, replace injector clips. remove balance shafts and jet valves.

How does it run? Auto or manual? Stock or modded? I need some more details to help you out further.
      1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
      4.0L I-6 2WD
      293k miles, still running strong.
      Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

My Car
        FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

I don't know but there's no way I would trade my Accord for it...
          NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

i would get it.

seriously thats a clean car dude 69k miles is amazing ive been looking into getting one actually.
            ]

Comment

Originally posted by CoPilot1 View Post
              Problems I see for you.
              1) 86 fuel systems are shit.
              2) 86 ignition systems are shit.
              3) Replacement control arms/axles are NOT EASY to find(hopefully he has some)
              4) They are HIGH maintenance. DD not recommended(yes i read your post)
              5) I love mine to death, but it's a love/hate relationship
              6) The 86 has 4 bolt axle shafts which are weak. The 88-89 have 6 bolts which are stronger. You will want to swap.

That said, the fuel system and ignition are pretty easy to replace. Swap in an 88-89 ecu, igniter, fuel injectors, replace injector clips. remove balance shafts and jet valves.

How does it run? Auto or manual? Stock or modded? I need some more details to help you out further.

I haven't gone to check it out yet, but he assured me that it runs great (I would have to start it cold to be sure). It's a five speed, bone stock. THe more I think about it, the less I am inclined to trade. I'm already putting down about 150 hp in the cb7, another 50 shouldn't be a big deal ( I saw a complete NO2 set up for $150 on CL today! lol). I've put a lot of time and effort into it and I would hate to get rid of it. I think I'll keep my coupe, especially considering the info that co-pilot gave me. I'm going to continue waiting for an 88-89 in Fiji Blue with a black interior.

RoCknRicEr037 Here's one you can pick up for $2500! It's on craigslist in Columbus, Ohio.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Especially yours co-pilot, I almost traded for it. I knew they all had issues, but I didn't realize the 86-87 was so faulty.

Comment

OOO starion always liked those for some reason. Get it if its in clean shape. And I need those can of worms next time I go fishing lol.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Id go for it for a project car. Treat it right and you wont have to worry that much about reliability. Its a pretty cool car just because its so rare and its got the potential for some pretty decent performance.

My vote: get it.
                  To-Do List for Today
                  Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                    I haven't gone to check it out yet, but he assured me that it runs great (I would have to start it cold to be sure). It's a five speed, bone stock. THe more I think about it, the less I am inclined to trade. I'm already putting down about 150 hp in the cb7, another 50 shouldn't be a big deal ( I saw a complete NO2 set up for $150 on CL today! lol). I've put a lot of time and effort into it and I would hate to get rid of it. I think I'll keep my coupe, especially considering the info that co-pilot gave me. I'm going to continue waiting for an 88-89 in Fiji Blue with a black interior.

RoCknRicEr037 Here's one you can pick up for $2500! It's on craigslist in Columbus, Ohio.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Especially yours co-pilot, I almost traded for it. I knew they all had issues, but I didn't realize the 86-87 was so faulty.

One last thing. The 86s were rated at 167hp not 187. the 88-89 were 188hp/243lb ft. The fuel/ign/computer are all easy fixes. 88-89 Fijis are hard to come across in good shape. They are awesome cars, tons of fun, just require more attention than most. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you would be getting into. It's no Honda, but the RWD+LSD makes it worth being a little less reliable. 86 cars can be a good DD/toy if you are looking to keep it somewhat stock(exhaust, 1st Gen eclipse MAF, boost @ 10psi) but after that the computers cause issues. If you are swapping in a 88/9 ecu, trans(including flywheel), 88/9 fuel and ignition(which shouldnt run more than 2-300) it will be more reliable and more fun at higher boost levels without fuel cut. The 88/9 ecu has no limiters whatsoever(rev limiter, speed limiter, etc)

I would still get it
                    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                    4.0L I-6 2WD
                    293k miles, still running strong.
                    Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

You could always slap a turbo ls1 in that bad larry I read about one from North Carolina that has such a transplant.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Well, I'm going to at least go look at it then. If the guy wants to do a straight trade, I might, just might go for it. I'll have to give it some serious thought after I see it and find out if he wants to trade straight or if he's going to expect some cash in addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
                          You could always slap a turbo ls1 in that bad larry I read about one from North Carolina that has such a transplant.
                          that car was in some magazine i read a few days back lol.

no
                          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                          $30 HID kits here Thread
                          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Bah... screw a turbo LS1. Yeah, it'd be badass, but it turns an otherwise kickass Mitsubishi into a Camaro in disguise! I love the 2.6L 4 cylinder, because big 4s are just tough. I know the motor kinda sucks, and a 4g63 swap would be best (they DID come with the 4g63 in other markets, so it's not unnatural) but still...

I think the Starion/Conquest is in my "top 5 best looking cars" list. I love it. I wouldn't trade a reliable CB7 for one, though. It would make an amazing project car, but age alone would make it an unwise investment. If you trade the CB7 and need it as a daily, you're going to end up putting $2500 into it just to fix the things that are broken and breaking. Might as well just pay cash for it if you can, keep the CB7, and pump spare dough into it when you can afford it. If you can't afford to pay cash for it, you won't be able to afford to fix/maintain it.

I know... get it for your son.

Comment

Yea I have that mag its in Turbo as I recall. The dude works for UGR so he has access to stuff like that =D.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X