Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, to break my bad eating habits, I'm making a change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, to break my bad eating habits, I'm making a change...

I'm going pescetarian, at least for a while. That's basically a vegetarian that eats fish. I need my protein, and I don't want to rely solely on protein-rich plant foods (such as soybeans and peanuts) to provide it. Nor do I want to take supplements.

So, yeah... I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for breakfast. Time to go out and get some stuff to cook!

My whole point of doing this is that I've been REALLY bad when it comes to going out for fast food. McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell... Now, to go to one of those places for anything but "meat" makes no sense. Who really wants something meatless from McDonalds? Well... aside from the usual hamburgers...

By limiting my diet to healthy foods that can't be found at unhealthy places, I'll break myself of that habit. No more "eh, I'll just have some McNuggets today and I'll be good tomorrow!"

When I eat that crap, I feel like crap... and I look like crap. I've lost weight, but I'm not in good shape yet.

I figured I'd share. See if there's anyone else with a similar diet to the one I'm choosing. Any suggestions on stuff to cook is always welcome! I'm not big into cooking complex things, as my kitchen is terribly small...

subway?

Comment

They don't speak English at my local Subway shops. I hate going there.

Comment

Asian food

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
        Honda Accord Euro-R
        Honda Odyssey Absolute
        Honda City I-DSi
        Honda Stream

Comment

I hate subway, look quiznos but they are extremely unhealthy. My fat ass will be starting a diet pretty soon(Felipe got the bomb diets yo) which should help me alot. My arm is now just feeling like it did so i can start light weight training along with cardio. New lifestyle and body for 2009

Oh, that vegetarian thing I realy cant do Mike, I tried it for 2 weeks, no cookie
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

That's why I'm sticking with fish.

I won't be doing it forever... just for a few months, I figure. So I can break the routine of eating crappy food. You can't go to McDonalds and order a grilled fish sandwich and a side of broccoli.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
              That's why I'm sticking with fish.

I won't be doing it forever... just for a few months, I figure. So I can break the routine of eating crappy food. You can't go to McDonalds and order a grilled fish sandwich and a side of broccoli.
              Well, that depends where the Mickey D's is located
              1993 Accord LX - Sold
              93 BMW 525it - SOLD
              92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
              2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
              2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
              2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
              2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
              2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Even their "healthy" stuff is bad for you! Their buns are filled with sugar.

I'm cutting that out as well... sugar. I have no insurance, so I wanna keep my teeth!

Heading to Wawa in hopes of finding something edible...

Comment

chicken and Pork are very lean, depending on what part of the animal you eat.

You can get your fat from avocado and your protein from vegetarian chilli
                  14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Yeah, but chicken can be had at fast food restaurants If I allow myself chicken, I'll convince myself that a Wendy's Grilled Chicken sandwich is ok...

And if I allow pork, those wonderfully awesome tasty little Wawa breakfast sausage sandwiches that I can't get enough of will be on the menu too.

FISH!!! Can't go wrong with fish. It keeps sushi in the diet, which is all good.

Comment

Meat really isn't bad for. Steak is actually a pretty healthy thing (assuming it's not a high percentage of fat).

I've found that it's best to look way back in history to figure out what are some of the best eating habits. Meat and Potatoes is a common saying and has kept people alive for CENTURIES!

Here is where the problem comes in. Back in the day, meat and potatoes was basically it. You baked your potatoe and cooked your meat and MAYBE threw some salt on it if you were fairly well off. Now a days, you will get a HUGE steak with a loaded potato with cheese, bacon, butter, and who knows what else. And if you want to look at the way most people get their meat and potatoes go down to McDonalds. Hamburger and fries has replaced the healthy steak and baked potato.

Deeve, you said you don't really have a big kitchen so I'll go into that know. If you have an oven and a stove-top range, then your possibilities are endless. The majority of your hot food should come from those two places. Stuff that comes out of the microwave isn't usually so healthy. Plus, microwaveable meals are pricey. The microwave is great for re-heating food (the main reason it was created), but it's just no match against a meal from the stove.

Now you are probably thinking, "If I have to use the stove for everything I'll never get a chance to actually cook anything, it takes forever to cook stuff there!" Wrong. Take your day off for example. You have ample time to cook up food for the upcoming week. You can set some water to boil and cook some bulk pasta up. After it's done, eat some at the next meal, and refrigerate the rest. Later in the week when you don't have time to cook something up fresh, bust it out and re-heat it. Same goes for Macaroni, Rice, Beans, you name it.

I couldn't think of a good place to fit this in, so I'll just say it here. Try and get your taste from ****es instead of fat. You will find that you can have food that tastes better than you've ever had and it will be far healthier.

Snaking - Stay away from things like chips. They will destroy your health and make you fat incredibly fast because without thinking, you'll eat an entire bag. Instead, eat and apple or banana or carrots with some peanut butter. It's very healthy, and it will fill you up quicker than the other snacks.

You said you are worried about breakfast. Here is where one of the main problem vegetarians, presectarians, ect. comes out; an over abundance of carbohydrates. Breakfast isn't just about cereal, oatmeal, grits (you're from up north so I don't expect you to understand, but I threw it in there anyway), Pop-tarts, waffles, pancakes, ect. You always see the stupid cereal commercials where they talk about "Part of a complete breakfast". This is absolutely true. You don't have to have the full spread every day, but don't get into a rut just eating one thing. Mix it up with eggs, toast, bananas, apples, kiwi, juices, oatmeal, ect. It is more about a good balance of a few different types of foods than filling up on just one. Plus, a good breakfast will keep you full longer and lead you to eat a smaller lunch, where you are more likely to eat food that isn't as healthy.

Alright, I'll wrap up now and just give a run down of what I generally eat. I need to strengthen up some areas of my diet (vegetables), but I fell like I'm doing a pretty decent job.

Breakfast:
                      Eggs - All types; scrambled, over easy, sunny side up
                      Cereal - Cold and hot (oatmeal)
                      Grits - Fuck yeah
                      Country Ham
                      Toast and jam
                      Fruits - Banana, Apple, ect.

Lunch:
                      Sandwiches - Peanut Butter and Jelly, Ham/Turkey/Cheese (don't use mayo)
                      Fruit - Banana, Apple, ect.

Dinner:
                      Meat - Beef Tips, Chicken of all types (except fried), Fish
                      Carbs - Pasta, Rice, Beans of all types, potatoes

It's not so much about going crazy with a diet but more about keeping it simple and manageable.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

I think the racial-slur filter needs to be backed off, it killed the word S-p-i-c-e-s in my last post
                        Last edited by Tnwagn; 11-02-2008, 11:25 AM.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

if you can stomach canned tuna at any meal of the day you will save loads of money, and keep your calorie intake to a minimum. there are numerous ways to prepare it right in the can so it isn't time consuming, and is mildly tasty.

one can pair it with fibrous fruits or veggies and have a near fat free yet filling 300 calorie meal.

which judging by your approximate size you will have to eat at least 6 times a day to not feel sickly.
                          '92 LX.
                          JDM H22a.

My Member's Ride Thread

Sold to: tysCb7, johnD1079, AccordHybrid92, GUA-D'zCb-7, judonoh, DriftProjectR, AeyJayCB7, C91BLX7, H23CB7

Comment

Yea Deev ive read that a very lean cut of steak is sometimes healthier then salads when you add in croutons, baconbits, dressing etc.

But your approach is awesome.

Fish was a good choice.

I need to make a decision sometime soon too.

BTW i was on The Parkways page and youve lost mad weight bro, congrats!!

Comment

Just cook at home, Aviod fast food places...can't cook..well look for recipes online

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Working...
                              X