No announcement yet.

To wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry nitrous,but as everyone knows the symbol for nitrous oxide=n2o hince thats where nos came from,a derivative of that periodic symbol.
    BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

Originally posted by doughboy415 View Post
      sorry nitrous,but as everyone knows the symbol for nitrous oxide=n2o hince thats where nos came from,a derivative of that periodic symbol.
      Sorry, brother, but no2 (nitrogen dioxide) would be a better match for NOS. If it was from the chemical tag, your dentist would have been giving you NAWZ a long time ago.

NOS comes from the Holley brand; Nitrous Oxide Systems. To back up my claim, go to any other nitrous manufacturer, ZEX, Cold Fusion, Compucar, Nitrous Express and see if they refer to their product as "nos" anywhere on the site. The word NOS is copywrite protected.

It just happens that they are the most recognized brand, like Kleenex or Band-aid.

Originally posted by wiki
      Nitrous is an often used as an abbreviation for the nitrous oxide, also referred to as NOS. The term NOS is derived from the initials of the company name Nitrous Oxide Systems, one of the pioneering companies in the development of nitrous oxide injection systems for automotive performance use. The term was used prominently in the film The Fast and the Furious Movie, and not surprisingly, shortly after the film's release, various automotive newsgroups and forums featured unprecedented numbers of inquiries about "NOS" and how to install and use it. To a biochemist, however, NOS refers to nitric oxide synthase.
      Last edited by visualpoet; 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
        It just happens that they are the most recognized brand, like Kleenex or Band-aid.
        Exactly.

Not to mention, it SOUNDS like an abbreviation for Nitrous Oxide. I've heard that argument many times before. I wonder if they had that in mind when they made the name...

Comment

i think ive seen this done before

Comment

this is a real old school repost..... sorry im calling them how i see em.. lolz

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide what I was saying N2O was rearranged to NOS for the name brand it just stuck and everyone calls nitrous nos thats all

Nitrous oxide, commonly known as happy gas or laughing gas, is a chemical compound with the chemical formula N2O. At room temperature, it is a colorless non-flammable gas, with a pleasant, slightly sweet odor and taste. It is used in surgery and dentistry for its anesthetic and analgesic effects. It is known as "laughing gas" due to the euphoric effects of inhaling it, a property that has led to its recreational use as an inhalant drug. It is also used as an oxidizer in rocketry and in motor racing to increase the power output of engines
              Last edited by doughboy415; 06-08-2009, 01:40 PM.
              BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

Originally posted by doughboy415 View Post
                Scroll down to "internal combustion engine":
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous...bustion_engine

In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous" in this context to differ from the acronym NOS which is the brand Nitrous Oxide Systems) allows the engine to burn more fuel and air, resulting in a more powerful combustion.

This thread is definitely going places. lol

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Working...
                X