Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
    For 600$ i would recommend:

get a hardtail bike (one with front suspension and no rear suspension)... it can be easily converted into an on road commuter/cruiser if needed.

you have two options for wheel sizes, 29" and 26". most mountain bikes are 26" but 29ers are starting to become more popular. The 29er will roll easier over things on the trail due to the bigger wheel. But all in all, if you are just beginning i would just stick with a 26".

get a bike from a major brand: giant, specialized, gary fisher, kona, iron horse, trek, GT, cannondale

find a good bike shop to buy it from... DO NOT GET A WALMART BIKE, even from a major brand. they are shit. I'd also say don't get one online unless you know exactly what you are looking for. supporting a local business is always a good thing. if you have a problem with the bike they can always hook you up. It is hard to get good service from an online dealer.

this time of year is a good time to find close out deals on bikes. 2010 models are just rolling out and shops want to get rid of their old stock.

each of those brands mentioned above have good websites (i think they all have prices on there as well) and do some digging.

if you have any other questions let me know!

Very informative. Thanks alot. My hunt begins on thursday...
    RETIRED...

Comment

Originally posted by cvc7chris View Post
      just buy a next
      LOL. No.
      wat?

Comment

Try Iron Horse. I've got a Iron Horse Quantum 2. Its got some pretty good features for the 349 dollar price tag from Sports Authority:

-matte black Aluminum frame and blacked out wheels...everything
        -4" front travel Rock Shox Dart 1
        -24 spd Shimano gearset, Acera I think, rapid fire shifters
        -6" hayes MX4 mechanical Disc brakes front AND rear (will do endos at like 20mph lol) way better stopping power plus you won't have to replace pads as often. Stops well in wet or dry.
        -WTB Speed V saddle
        -ITS ninja tires
        -Truativ X flow crankset

Its a good quality bike. I used it alot for biking on campus when I had to park like half a mile away from ASU. Totally swallows curbs w/o having to lift the front wheel. The 8 speeds are nice too, you really don't need THAT many but its nice to have some gears in reserve if you ever do ride in the mtns. I really liked the design of it as well, the black on black is killer, sweet graphics as well. The seat, you might need to upgrade though. It started to dig in on my skinny ass, 5'11 145lbs, so I can't imagine what it'd do to anyone bigger. I eventually got a gel seat cover which is MUCH more comfy for like 20 bucks to put on top. Don't really use it a lot nowadays. Bought it back in April 2007 so idk if they still have that model out. But check out Iron Horse bikes, they've been around for a long time and have some outrageously priced bikes as well. But this one is a good entry level bike w/ disc brakes...which was the selling point for me. I wanted stopping power! haha.

LOL, some guy made a youtube vid about it here ya go!

Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-08-2009, 03:41 AM.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I have a older Giant that I recently bought from someone on craigslist.

It's an older bike (1996 model, I believe), but it's an aluminum frame with decent components.

Light as a feather and strong.

I'd rather pay the same for an old used GOOD bike, than a new POS from wal mart or target.

Comment

id be cautious buying a used bike. it may be trashed to shit. cracks in frames can be extremely tiny and can compromise the integrity of the frame. and no, you can't just weld it back together and expect it to stand up.

aluminum frames do deteriorate over time. yeah a AL frame from 96 may be whole and all but frame from 2009 will be a ton better in terms of strength, weight, and design. i am riding a giant XTC from 2004 (i think. bought it off a fellow racer friend of mine after my good race bike was stolen last year and i was strapped for cash). and in reality that frame is ancient. it has been raced for 5 years! which is haaarrrdd on a bike. once i find some more money a new bike will be on the way.

good luck!
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I've been considering buying a good road bike myself. I've been told that a $500-$600 budget is about what I'll need for something decent to get me started. My friends that know more about bikes have told me that I'm not going to find anything really worthwhile for less.

I need to get to a good bike shop and learn what size would be right for me. I rode a cheap mountain bike in my younger years, and I screwed up my knees seriously by doing so. I came up too high, always rode in high gear, and didn't fully extend. A properly sized bike is VERY important.

Comment

Working...
              X