To the Bikers out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the Bikers out there...

Well, not getting any younger however, would like to stay young and fit! Been wanting to do the "bike riding" thing for some time now and even tho summer is just about done and fall is upon us, wouldn'tmind starting up.

I really have no clue as to the type of bike, brand, specifics, etc to get. Only bike name I really know is Trek.

I know just like with any other hobby, can be costly but if I put monies into my cars, might as well into another hobby/my health.

To ALL the mountain bikers out there, kindly chime in as to what to get, to look for, etc etc etc...

Thank you for your time...

Parts Masta
    RETIRED...

I like to ride mountain bikes. Unfortunately mine is broken. I need to fix that. Running is boring as hell.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Ill think ill stick to my OCC chopper from Wal-Mart lawlz.

Comment

I have a Giant mountain bike - it's older, but it's still almost brand new. Chromolly frame, aluminum rims, center pull brakes, and shifter is a twisty type. Keep an eye out on CL and I'm sure you'll find something rather cheap. I love mine, and I only paid $300 for it brand new.

From what I know of MD, I'm thinking that there are a LOT of people communiting on bikes out there, am I correct?

I'd recommend going to a bike shop to have them tell you the frame size you'd need, and maybe give you an idea of what models to look out for. If you want a decent one, look on CL, keep in mind that bikes are still a top item for theft.
        Last edited by mj213; 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, as you stated, this, like any other hobby can be spendy.

I've seen mountain bikes range in price from a couple hundred dollars to around 10,000 dollars.

Figure out what you plan on using the bike for, street, trails, serious off road.

Things to look for, shocks, a nice soft seat, atleast an 18 speed. If you want to do some serious offroading and may run the risk of a flat tire, maybe some puncture proof tires.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-113814.html

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
            I like to ride mountain bikes. Unfortunately mine is broken. I need to fix that. Running is boring as hell.

Oh so true. Did the running thing for several years and is quite boring...

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
            I have a Giant mountain bike - it's older, but it's still almost brand new. Chromolly frame, aluminum rims, center pull brakes, and shifter is a twisty type. Keep an eye out on CL and I'm sure you'll find something rather cheap. I love mine, and I only paid $300 for it brand new.

From what I know of MD, I'm thinking that there are a LOT of people communiting on bikes out there, am I correct?

I'd recommend going to a bike shop to have them tell you the frame size you'd need, and maybe give you an idea of what models to look out for. If you want a decent one, look on CL, keep in mind that bikes are still a top item for theft.

Correct in regards to MD. Certain parts of Northern Virginia and good ole DC.

Scanned CL and yes saw fs ads for bikes as well as listing such as " Found in alley", or "Reward for stolen bike".

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
            Yes, as you stated, this, like any other hobby can be spendy.

I've seen mountain bikes range in price from a couple hundred dollars to around 10,000 dollars.

Figure out what you plan on using the bike for, street, trails, serious off road.

Things to look for, shocks, a nice soft seat, atleast an 18 speed. If you want to do some serious offroading and may run the risk of a flat tire, maybe some puncture proof tires.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-113814.html

Both street and trails. And thank you...
            RETIRED...

Comment

How much money would you spend

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                How much money would you spend

Just depends on accessories/options. Since a "starter" bike for me, no more than $600.
                RETIRED...

Comment

Gary Fisher is a decent mountain bike. I remember back in the day Trek, Cannondale, and Gary Fisher were some of the top bikes in decent price ranges.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

I spent $450 on my Specialized Rockhopper in '05. Still riding it to this day. Shemano gears, I get it tuned up once a qtr. Bought new tires for it the other day. I love it.

Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

For your budget, Look into Norco, Giant, or Cannondale. A good place for bike classifieds is www.Pinkbike.com

A good bike I can think of is a Giant yukon, I'm pretty sure you could find one for under $600. Look for DiskBrakes and shocks.
                      Last edited by 1990accordex-r; 09-07-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

just buy a next

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

For 600$ i would recommend:

get a hardtail bike (one with front suspension and no rear suspension)... it can be easily converted into an on road commuter/cruiser if needed.

you have two options for wheel sizes, 29" and 26". most mountain bikes are 26" but 29ers are starting to become more popular. The 29er will roll easier over things on the trail due to the bigger wheel. But all in all, if you are just beginning i would just stick with a 26".

get a bike from a major brand: giant, specialized, gary fisher, kona, iron horse, trek, GT, cannondale

find a good bike shop to buy it from... DO NOT GET A WALMART BIKE, even from a major brand. they are shit. I'd also say don't get one online unless you know exactly what you are looking for. supporting a local business is always a good thing. if you have a problem with the bike they can always hook you up. It is hard to get good service from an online dealer.

this time of year is a good time to find close out deals on bikes. 2010 models are just rolling out and shops want to get rid of their old stock.

each of those brands mentioned above have good websites (i think they all have prices on there as well) and do some digging.

if you have any other questions let me know!
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by cvc7chris View Post
                            just buy a next
                            next bikes are poo

if you want something that wont break on you going down the trail don't get a next....
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

heres my bike lol

Comment

Working...
                              X