Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about the Lexus LS430?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys think about the Lexus LS430?

I'm still in search for a premium luxury car and still undecided. I want something that will keep that luxury appeal for awhile and wont need that much regular repairs.

I wanted to get an E38 740i sport model but 2001 being the last model I feel that it will look a little dated in a few years and plus bimmer costs an arm and a leg to maintain/repair.

According to my research, the LS430 is listed as #2 when the top 5 most reliable luxury sedans. They do have a timeless luxury look even with the newer LS models on the market. And with some nice wheels, a drop and possibly a pricey vip lips kit they can sexier and sporty.

BMW and lexus are the only 2 brands Im stuck on, the GS300/400 are listed as #1 as most reliable but I think they will need too much work for me to really love the car.

Comments?
    Last edited by Gemini; 11-08-2009, 03:48 PM.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

I think they're great cars. Heavy boats, and inefficient... but that's no different than the 740, S Class, or any other luxobarge.

The Lexus won't be all that cheap to maintain, either. Most of the parts are Lexus-only parts (at least as far as the US market goes), which means they will come at a premium. However, the Lexus is probably more reliable than the BMW, which means you'll be replacing fewer expensive parts.

I've noticed one thing with these cars. Those that can afford them brand new unload them before the warranty runs out. They don't want to be stuck fixing them either!

Personally, I'd get the Lexus over a 740. I think I might get an S Class over either, though.

Comment

You and I have very, very, very similar tastes.

Let me say something first though, I would copy your first post, and post it in the LS430 section over on clublexus, and the E38 section on bimmerforums. They'll help you out a lot. They may be a little biased, but they'll know the pros/cons moreso. I did, and learned a lot of helpful information.

I personally find the E38 has a timeless design. It was built for 6 years, with those specific six years being pretty revolutionary in terms of car design, in my opinion. The sport only though, the others look gross. The E38 is also the most expensive to maintain out of it's brothers and sisters of the same era. (5series, 3series) I don't want to say this, but don't get an E38, unless you want to fork out a lot on repairs. Unless you find a very well taken care of one, which isn't that hard.

But if you're worried about looking outdated in a few years, which to someone who isn't an enthusiast, you more than likely will, the LS430 is a great choice. I looked at them, but they were too pricy for me. The cost of ownership is a huge plus, too.

The GS, I would get a 400 or nothing at all. A friend of mine has one, and not only do they pull, but they also look amazing. They still look like new cars.

This is what you'll look like on the road in an LS430.

It makes me want one, too.

As far as the E38 is concerned there are several things to watch for. I would avoid anything without a full history and excellent service records. I would also lean towards a CPO or aftermarket warranty.

Some things to check:
      Loosing pixel display in temperature, mileage display.
      Catalytic converters failing
      Power steering hoses leaking
      Cup holders failing
      Nikasil engine block problems in 95 V8
      Oil pump bolts backing out, generally pre 99 years
      Radiator failures. Plastic neck breaking, all years
      A/C stepper motors failing.
      Original Water pumps with plastic impellers failing
      Coolant thermostat failing
      Poor quality jack
      Electric cooling fan failing in year 98 and newer
      Sunroof wind noise
      CD player skipping in models older than 97
      Older A/C temperature displays failing
      Phones not being upgradeable without major cost or modifications
      A/C drain lines need re-routing to stop gurgling sound

Summary of model years:

New 4.4 liter engine. Horsepower remained the same but torque went up from 295@4500 rpm to 310@3900 rpm. Standard steel sunroof changed, glass moonroof instead.

Side impact airbags standard for front seat passengers. Navigation system became available but fitted into few cars.

DSC became standard. HPS head airbags also standard and rear-seat side airbags optional. Navigation system more available. New AC control panel as well (although this was retrofitted to many pre-98 cars).

Mild face-lift with scalloped headlights, crystalized taillamps, door scoop illumination, and chrome strip on the trunk. The 4.4 liter engine receives VANOS variable valve timing and torque rises from 310 to 324. Updated side skirts without the round hole plugs for the jack. Sport package consisting of 18-inch rims, blackout trim, lower gear ratio, and vavona redwood interior trim became available on the 740i.

Features as standard that were options before. Xenon lights, rain sensing wipers, headlight washer nozzles, Navigation, DSP stereo with cassette in the dash and 6 disk changer in the trunk. Sport package became available on 740iL/750iL models, sans the lower gearing.

For the last year, they added body colored side skirts, and front and rear air dams (all were black until 2001) and crystal clear turn signals. Features as standard that were options before, Star tac phone with mayday system, 16 way comfort seats, side airbags with head protection skirts. Mid year (9/00 production and later) they changed to a wide navigation screen.

It's really a toss-up though. I bought my BMW...at the time I had all these plans, but I lost all motivation. So I'm just driving it around mostly stock. Since then, to me, my car looks out dated. Looks old. I see the GS300/400, and the LS430, and those cars look so much better to me now that I actually own the BMW.

Are you against getting something like...an M5? Just curious. Also, why not an 02+ E65 or E66? The 02's aren't THAT expensive I don't think. You can probably get one for a similar price to the LS430, or the 01 E38.
      Last edited by npor; 11-08-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

I think I might get an S Class over either, though.
        ew..... lol

Comment

Originally posted by npor View Post
          You and I have very, very, very similar tastes.

Let me say something first though, I would copy your first post, and post it in the LS430 section over on clublexus, and the E38 section on bimmerforums. They'll help you out a lot. They may be a little biased, but they'll know the pros/cons moreso. I did, and learned a lot of helpful information.

I personally find the E38 has a timeless design. It was built for 6 years, with those specific six years being pretty revolutionary in terms of car design, in my opinion. The sport only though, the others look gross. The E38 is also the most expensive out of it's brothers and sisters. (5series, 3series) I don't want to say this, but don't get an E38, unless you want to fork out a lot on repairs. Unless you find a very well taken care of one, which isn't that hard.

But if you're worried about looking outdated in a few years, which to someone who isn't an enthusiast, you more than likely will, the LS430 is a great choice. I looked at them, but they were too pricy for me. The cost of ownership is a huge plus, too.

The GS, I would get a 400 or nothing at all. A friend of mine has one, and not only do they pull, but they also look amazing. They still look like new cars.

This is what you'll look like on the road in an LS430.

It makes me want one, too.
          im on both sites and have read hours of reviews on both cars, im biased to the bimmer but I'm really diggin the LS right now.

That vid is sweet
          Last edited by Gemini; 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM.
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
            im on both sites and have read hours of reviews on both cars, im biased to the bimmer but I'm really diggin the LS right now.
            I have done tons of research on those BMW ... Tons of issues but they all seem to have the same issues... So there is alot of info on how to fix them... Parts aren't priced bad... Labor is high.. So if you do the work yourself they aren't bad to keep running..... The 7 series are super cheap though since everyone is afraid of them... They look old and will only get older... But I like the styling personally.. I also think the lexus looks old... I would go either 7 series or RL... RL are super cheap also... And decent... The Lexus just doesn't do anything for me... The benz I would even waste my time commenting on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post

That vid is sweet
              Then I'm sure you've already seen the "look-out" that I just updated my post with.

I was biased with the BMW's too, considering this is what my driveway looks like
              (not trying to thread-jack)

In hindsight, if I had known all of the information I now know, I would have gotten a Lexus. Or a newer model year BMW.

Comment

a lexus would be my choise

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Dean im all for the Ls430, that is slick shit right there, you already know doe.

Comment

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/to...vip-ls430.html

1999 BMW M3
                    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

There are problems with any car, A good inspection will keep you from picking up the wrong one.

It sounds like Maintenance is a big factor here, I wouldn't stick to either car as you seem to like them both, I'd look at a couple examples of both models and pick the one from the overall selection that has been serviced and taken care to the point where you feel comfortable.

Now let me just nitpick some of the items on the great list that Npor put up.

Cat's failing - I wouldn't be surprised, They're a depreciating product, after market replacements aren't that expensive.

Nikisil - Although you're looking 01's and this isn't a factor for this year. The Nikisil motors were known to wear away at the cylinder walls causing early destruction to the motor. If a Nikisil Motor has lasted uptil now without showing symptoms of the famous Nikisil failure then it shouldn't be a problem. After 95 BMw realized this and started using the Alusil Blocks in their cars.

Waterpump with plastic impellers - If somebody is telling you straight up that they're still on their original waterpump on an 01 or older e38 then walk away. That alone is an indication that the person is not up to date with their maintenance. Metal impellers were utilized as replacements so that's a plus.(This was also a thing with a couple BMW's e36's, e34's, etc)

Also I'm going to Level with you. Trying to find good looking Lip kits for the e38 is hard. In the styling department I'd venture with the LS.

Comment

Dean, just buy my suburban.

its gangsta.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                        Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                        NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

thats one hot soccer mom SUV lmao

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
                            Dean, just buy my suburban.

its gangsta.

ah no!
                            1993 Accord LX - Sold
                            93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

those kits for the LS are gangsta....ive sourced them already thru an californian dealer and they run $2k - $3k which is fucking ridiculous. Even tho I dont think a stock LS needs anything except a drop and wheels to be hot.
                              1993 Accord LX - Sold
                              93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X