Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should i take a break from school to buy my dad's classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i take a break from school to buy my dad's classic?

well i just found out that my Dad is considering selling the family treasure
    1959 chevy biscayne sedan, still original motor 126,000 miles (regretibly inline six)

/\ took that picture three years ago with a sanyo katana cell phone, so poor quality ii know

my family has been the original owners, my great grandpa bought it in 1959

i remember when growing up, while visiting family in UT my dad would talk about how this was his birthday car, (he was born in 1959)

it has been passed down in our family since then and i looked forward to having it in 100 years, (being my dad's only son), but now my dad is feeling that he does not have enough time for the car, and feels he could use the money for a newer car for him, (he drives the tan buick century next to the car)

this saddens me as i was looking forward to helping my dad to restore this beautiful car. he thinks he cannot get more than 8 thousand for it, i am pondering taking a break from school for 6 months to get a second job to make 6 grand and buy it from him.
    _

the sentimental value is deff. understanding man , my father got rid of his 76 ford gran torino elite , it was the last one off of the assembly line , we have a pic from the newspaper when my grandfather and him bought it from the dealership brand new. I was pissed when he told us he sold it . But i would try to explain to him that you love the car enough to want to buy it , and work out a deal with him so u can stay in school man
    93 accord Black 10th Anniversary (REBUILD)
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=125009

1992 Accord Lx Frost White - SOLD
    1993 Accord Se Coupe - Totaled
    1992 Accord Ex Sedan 5 speed - SOLD
    1992 Accord Lx Coupe - SOLD
    1990 Accord Ex Sedan 5 Speed - Daily Driver
    1993 Accord 10th Anniversary - STOLEN (REBUILD)

Comment

finishing college equals greater pay

stopping school to work on a car equals less than no money

to hell with sentimentality that never pays off...get paid!
      ____

Comment

A car is no reason to take a break from education. Those breaks turn into surprisingly long ones.
        Talk to your dad, see if you can work something out with him, like tony^ said.
        Sneak over and hit it with some polishing compound and wax one day when he's not around, renew his interest in it by bringing some beauty back. Or don't; there's a lot of interest among domestic guys in seeing unrestored old American iron with the patina of age on them. Talk him into showing it (with you, as a bonding thing) at car shows until you graduate and then buy it from him.
        Let him know how much it means to you, that's the most important part.

Comment

stopping school is a terrible idea. A car is not going to do anything positive for your future and is only going to drain your wallet, when you get a degree you can get a good job and afford to do the things you want and built the car you want. Look to the future, its just a car and not worth putting life on hold for!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
          member ride thread
          11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
          DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
          People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
          I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
          John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Playing devil's advocate.

Hard to find jobs even with college degree, one that pay well. I got lucky.

That car could be worth a ton later.

Your dad has a car already, why does he want to sell it? He doesn't seem to care much for it

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18 View Post
              Playing devil's advocate.

Hard to find jobs even with college degree, one that pay well. I got lucky.

That car could be worth a ton later.

Your dad has a car already, why does he want to sell it? He doesn't seem to care much for it

not if you get a degree in the medical field. Avoid automotive mechanics degrees/jobs. Diesel mechanics do ok, no car mechanics...they never do. Average pay is what...35k? That is not sufficient in today's world...and the average is not what you will get.

The only associates degrees that I know of that do not pay are automotive mechanics ones.

The only bachelors degrees that I know of that do not pay are psychology ones.

There are plenty of web sites that say where the jobs are and what is in demand...get a degree in one of those fields, I wish I had someone tell me that. I kept looking for a job I would just love...that is stupid. Find a job with demand and pay and go for that.

It is a hard lesson to learn in life but must be learned...fuck your dream job, get a good paying job and your dream job will be your hobby IF you are lucky. Real world says you need a job that pays...and it sure as hell is not your dream job
              ____

Comment

solution- just tell your dad to give it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by accord=inspire? View Post
                  solution- just tell your dad to give it to you.
                  x2, too bad it isn't a 2dr, any rare options or just a plain jane car.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                  "The Turtle"
                  DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                    finishing college equals greater pay

stopping school to work on a car equals less than no money

to hell with sentimentality that never pays off...get paid!
                    you hit the nail on the head.

If I was in the OP's position, my parents would laugh at me all the way back to school and tell me not to leave til I'm done. THEN, if they still had the car, I could probably have it.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                      A car is no reason to take a break from education. Those breaks turn into surprisingly long ones.
                      Indeed. I took a semester long "break" from school. 3 years later, I still haven't stepped foot on a campus.

I've been accepted to a new college this fall, just have to get the motivation to go.

DON'T TAKE A "BREAK" FOR A DAMN CAR.

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                        Indeed. I took a semester long "break" from school. 3 years later, I still haven't stepped foot on a campus.

I've been accepted to a new college this fall, just have to get the motivation to go.

I took a break from hockey for one year so I could skip the 2nd year of one of the divisions and yeah...haven't set foot/skate on a rink since.

Just like when you take a "break" with your girlfriend. Are you broken up? Do you bang other chicks? Do you get back together with her and then break it off because "we're too different and this isn't what we want?"

I finished high school in 2004. Didn't know what I wanted to do for post secondary education, so I decided to wait. Meanwhile, I did co-op in my last semester of grade 12 and the company I did my co-op at offered me a full time job afterwards. So I went and worked there. Started making money right away, right out of school. Wasn't much, but I was working, I liked my job, I had freedom and I wasn't stuck in a classroom anymore.

Personally, education is the best thing for anyone, but I just don't have the will power to go sit in a classroom all day. I went to trade school for my Gas Fitter licence 2 years ago. Yeah...I think I slept through half the classes and ended up not getting my ticket because I failed the exam by 3% that I completely winged and didnt study for.

Now I'm almost 25, finally moved out of my parents house when I was 23, rent a house, have a new-ish car and have a good full time job with full benefits, and the only education I needed for this job was how to drive a truck, how to read blueprints and be strong enough to lift stuff. Life's still not easy. I'm happy though, but if I stuck out school, or went back, there's plenty better things I could be doing now. I really regret not taking my education so serious because I always had better things, or girls to do.

Comment

Ken...go to school bro. As good as some might have said mine looked today, it has been untouched for about 2 months; you shouldve seen it thursday. Reason=School. 8-10hr work days, Wife, and 2 classes...yeah, CB is the least of my worries. I wasnt surprised when the leak developed, shit...I just check the fluids this morning, and took off...

Cars...although a great hobby, not worth leaving school for. You got my two cents...

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

I'm all for education, anything to stop stupidity... but there are special occasions and a diploma does not guarantee success.

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                            not if you get a degree in the medical field. Avoid automotive mechanics degrees/jobs. Diesel mechanics do ok, no car mechanics...they never do. Average pay is what...35k? That is not sufficient in today's world...and the average is not what you will get.

The only associates degrees that I know of that do not pay are automotive mechanics ones.

The only bachelors degrees that I know of that do not pay are psychology ones.

There are plenty of web sites that say where the jobs are and what is in demand...get a degree in one of those fields, I wish I had someone tell me that. I kept looking for a job I would just love...that is stupid. Find a job with demand and pay and go for that.

It is a hard lesson to learn in life but must be learned...fuck your dream job, get a good paying job and your dream job will be your hobby IF you are lucky. Real world says you need a job that pays...and it sure as hell is not your dream job
                            Plenty of jobs and I'm sure there are plenty of openings, enough to stop/reduce unemployment right?

Every area is different, different job demands, different pay, different things. What you see on websites are bullshit.

If you are good at what you do, you will make it big. If not you're not doing it right or good enough.

Originally posted by JoshM View Post

What happened to you may not happen to others... If you are really interested in education you can take breaks and still go back with motivation and not make any excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                              Talk to your dad, see if you can work something out with him, like tony^ said.
                              Sneak over and hit it with some polishing compound and wax one day when he's not around, renew his interest in it by bringing some beauty back. Or don't; there's a lot of interest among domestic guys in seeing unrestored old American iron with the patina of age on them. Talk him into showing it (with you, as a bonding thing) at car shows until you graduate and then buy it from him.
                              Let him know how much it means to you, that's the most important part.
                              listen. do. succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X