Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess)

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/01/tech...myth/index.htm

thought this was a good read. especially for all the cellphone junkies out here.

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess)

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- You've seen the 4G advertisements from T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon, bragging about a much-better wireless network with blazing fast speeds.

Here's the secret the carriers don't advertise: 4G is a myth. Like the unicorn, it hasn't been spotted anywhere in the wild just yet -- and won't be any time in the near future.

* Email
    * Print
    * Comment

The International Telecommunication Union, the global wireless standards-setting organization, determined last month that 4G is defined as a network capable of download speeds of 100 megabits per second (Mbps). That's fast enough to download an average high-definition movie in about three minutes.

None of the new networks the carriers are rolling out meet that standard.

Sprint (S, Fortune 500) was the first to launch a network called 4G, going live with it earlier this year. Then, T-Mobile launched its 4G network, claiming to be "America's largest 4G network." Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500) plans to launch its 4G network next week, which it claims will be the nation's largest and the fastest. AT&T (T, Fortune 500) is expected to unveil its 4G network next year.

Those networks have theoretical speeds of a fifth to a half that of the official 4G standard. The actual speeds the carriers say they'll achieve are just a tenth of "real" 4G.

So why are the carriers calling these networks 4G?

It's mostly a matter of PR, industry experts say. Explaining what the wireless carriers' new networks should be called, and what they'll be capable of, is a confusing mess.

To illustrate: Sprint bought a majority stake in Clearwire (CLWR), which uses a new network technology called WiMAX that's capable of speeds ranging from 3 Mbps to 10 Mbps. That's a different technology from Verizon's new network, based on a standard called Long Term Evolution (LTE), which will average 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps.

Seeing what its competitors were up to, T-Mobile opted to increase the speed capabilities of its existing 3G-HSPA+ network instead of pursuing a new technology. Its expanded network -- now called 4G -- will reach speeds of 5 Mbps to 12 Mbps.

No matter what they're called, all of these upgrades are clear improvements -- and the carriers shelled out billions to make them. Current "3G" networks offer actual speeds that range from between 500 kilobits per second to 1.5 Mbps.

So Sprint and Verizon have new, faster networks that are still technically not 4G, while T-Mobile has an old, though still faster network that is actually based on 3G technology.

Confused yet? That's why they all just opted to call themselves "4G."

The carriers get defensive about the topic.

"It's very misleading to make a decision about what's 4G based on speed alone," said Stephanie Vinge-Walsh, spokeswoman for Sprint Nextel. "It is a challenge we face in an extremely competitive industry."

T-Mobile did not respond to a request for comment.
    0:00 /0:55Sprint's 4G challenges iPhone

One network representative, who asked not to be identified, claimed that ITU's 4G line-in-the-sand is being misconstrued. The organization previously approved the use of the term "4G" for Sprint's WiMAX and Verizon's LTE networks, he said -- though not for T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.

ITU's PR department ignored that approval in its recent statement about how future wireless technologies would be measured, the representative said. ITU representatives were not immediately available for comment.

"I'm not getting into a technical debate," said Jeffrey Nelson, spokesman for Verizon Wireless. "Consumers will quickly realize that there's really a difference between the capabilities of various wireless data networks. All '4G' is not the same."

And that's what's so difficult. The term 4G has become meaningless and confusing as hell for wireless customers.

For instance, T-Mobile's 4G network, which is technically 3G, will have speeds that are at least equal to -- and possibly faster -- than Verizon's 4G-LTE network at launch. At the same time, AT&T's 3G network, which is also being scaled up like T-Mobile's, is not being labeled "4G."

That's why some industry experts predict that the term "4G" will soon vanish.

"The labeling of wireless broadband based on technical jargon is likely to fade away in 2011," said Dan Hays, partner at industry consultancy PRTM. "That will be good news for the consumer. Comparing carriers based on their network coverage and speed will give them more facts to make more informed decisions."

Hays expects that independent researchers -- or the Federal Communications Commission -- will step in next year to perform speed and coverage tests.

Meanwhile, don't expect anyone to hold the carriers' feet to the fire.

"Historically, ITU's classification system has not held a great degree of water and has not been used to enforce branding," Hays said. "Everyone started off declaring themselves to be 4G long before the official decision on labeling was made. The ITU was three to four years too late to make an meaningful impact on the industry's use of the term."
    Last edited by drew12000; 02-05-2011, 02:57 AM. Reason: cause i can't spell here.
    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

That standard for proper 4G labeling is really high! To have a long range wireless connection be the same speed as a hardwired Ethernet connection is pretty crazy. Especially if that is over several miles from a tower. I bet they just don't have that technology yet, but figure that the towers are going to need to be LTE/wimax ready for those speeds anyway. Might as well call it the upgrade something different, and the huge ass wireless companies probably have much much much more funding than the ITU so they just didn't care. lol.

I don't think the term 4G is going to go away. 1x and 3G seem to have stuck so why
    would they change the term 4G?
    Last edited by EJX_Michael; 02-05-2011, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post

I don't think the term 4G is going to go away. 1x and 3G seem to have stuck so why
      would they change the term 4G?
      kinda like

street fighter 2
      street fighter 2 championship edition
      street fighter 2 turbo
      super street fighter 2
      super street fighter 2 turbo

its basically the same thing, its just a few tweaks to make it seem better than the previous?

Comment

They could call it gonorrhea for all I care . All I know is I can get 10mb download speeds on my "4G" which makes me very happy.

Comment

It may be true that they are not living up to that high standard but there is a clear and obvious distinction in the performance of 3g and "what the carriers call 4g but isn't really 4g." I've seen 4g in action and it is pretty sweet!

Comment

is there anyone here that is on one of these "4g" networks? i would love to see some speedtest.net app results. the fastest i can get on my ip4 with att is around 5.5mbps.

Comment

According to that chart, LTE is in the lead...which is where ill be in a few weeks. Fuck yes.

Im not worried, someone i know has that wireless LTE dongle for his laptop and the speeds he gets is fucking ridiculous so if i can get half that on a cell phone ill be a very happy man.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                is there anyone here that is on one of these "4g" networks? i would love to see some speedtest.net app results. the fastest i can get on my ip4 with att is around 5.5mbps.
                I'm at work in another city and can't do a speed test on 4g here, but here is a snapshot I just did of my of one of my 4G tests awhile back on my EVO at home (Arlington)

Sprint caps the upload speeds around 1mb

Comment

i get charged that bs every $10 per month for this so called 4G and today was the second time Ive actually used 4G or seen its speed sonce ive owned my Epic. I had to drive over 50 miles south to Miami today to get a 4G connection on my phone...this is not exactly true, if i drive about 10 miles out west i get a connection also but i dont get it the Fort Lauderdale vicinity where i live and work.
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                  92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                  2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                  2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                  2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                  2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                  2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by drew12000 View Post

The International Telecommunication Union, the global wireless standards-setting organization, determined last month that 4G is defined as a network capable of download speeds of 100 megabits per second (Mbps).
                    So if a company comes out with something and calls it 4g many month ago how can someone just a month ago determine standards.

If I came up with and call my network "super G7" would it make sense for another company to say I don't meet "super G7" standards(That they say they just came up with)....

Maybe I am just missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      i get charged that bs every $10 per month for this so called 4G and today was the second time Ive actually used 4G or seen its speed sonce ive owned my Epic. I had to drive over 50 miles south to Miami today to get a 4G connection on my phone...this is not exactly true, if i drive about 10 miles out west i get a connection also but i dont get it the Fort Lauderdale vicinity where i live and work.
                      so whether or not you live within the service area, you pay more if you have a "4g" capable phone? thats complete bullshit!

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                        so whether or not you live within the service area, you pay more if you have a "4g" capable phone? thats complete bullshit!
                        Actually, you aren't paying for 4g with the $10 fee per month. You are paying the money for a "premium" phone. Basically all of the new phones are powerhouses and have so many apps and widgets that are using a shit ton of data. The fee is to help sprint keep up with everyone's unlimited data.

Edit: I currently use between 8-12gb of data per month. I definitely couldn't make it on AT&T unless I was still grandfathered in lol
                        Last edited by apuforyou; 02-06-2011, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Didn't feel like doing a second edit, but even with the extra $10 dollars a month, my bill is still cheaper then my Iphone was on AT&T

Comment

i am grandfathered in with att. and thank god for that. last month i tethered over 70gb. and they recently completed a new e/3g tower near my house... so now i get a 5bar 3g signal. hopefully, ill never need to pay for internet again.

Comment

Haha I would most surely be around there if I tethered at my house also. I thought about it, but I have too many things hooked up to my router at my house.

I really only use my tether when I'm at work because they block everything on our work computers so I just bring my laptop instead

Comment

Working...
                              X