Last Shuttle Launch Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Shuttle Launch Pictures

here are some pictures from the last launch of shuttle Atlantis, compliments of my moms friend, and many others.

i grew up watching these things go off and some of these pictures kinda make me teary eyed knowing that i won't ever see these things go up again. they were quite amazing to see and hear, especially the night launches.
    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

now... when they say last flight. does it mean for that shuttle only?

cool pics. when i lived in houston. the hangout for us black nerds was nasa haha
    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

Makes me sad my cousin got to see them blast off. He would always tell me about them always wanted to see one in person.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Originally posted by drew12000 View Post
        now... when they say last flight. does it mean for that shuttle only?

cool pics. when i lived in houston. the hangout for us black nerds was nasa haha
        this the last flight as in no more shuttle launches, supposedly

the one before this(Endeavor) was suppose to be the last launch but they launched Atlantis one more time, for the 33rd mission
        Last edited by quaidum; 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM.
        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

So they are supposedly never sending anything into space again?

Meaning if they stay that course, ill never get to see a shuttle launch?

I was hoping to do that before i died lol.

Comment

It's a little confusing the way all the internet articles are saying "NASA retiring" and all that jazz. I've been asking all morning if they were scrapping the NASA shuttle launching program or is it just that one shuttle that they are retiring? I hope someone will clarify this soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
              So they are supposedly never sending anything into space again?

Meaning if they stay that course, ill never get to see a shuttle launch?

I was hoping to do that before i died lol.

Originally posted by Leung View Post
              It's a little confusing the way all the internet articles are saying "NASA retiring" and all that jazz. I've been asking all morning if they were scrapping the NASA shuttle launching program or is it just that one shuttle that they are retiring? I hope someone will clarify this soon.

the shuttle itself will never be launched again, supposedly

the rockets with satellites and such will still launch from the Cape Canaveral, NASA complex just not manned vessels.
              ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

here is my car next to a scale size model

''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Well that is sad to hear.

Comment

Now I know why my friends that work for NASA are thinking of moving out of Texas...

Comment

glad i made it to a shuttle launch a few years ago... sad to see they are done... hope it gets resurrected one day. the launch was the most impressive thing ive ever seen.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                      The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                        glad i made it to a shuttle launch a few years ago... sad to see they are done... hope it gets resurrected one day. the launch was the most impressive thing ive ever seen.
                        by any chance did you see a night launch
                        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

It will most likely be started up again. China and India are emerging as significant world powers, and it won't be long before they start sending regular manned vessels into space. The US won't want to be outdone, so once again we will show who has the biggest pair of spaceballs.

Right now, I'm sure they're cancelling the program (and making it VERY public) because people are bitching about misdirected spending. We're a mess financially. People are out of work, people are starving, children aren't getting the education they need... so the bigwigs need to make a show of cutting "unnecessary" programs to show that they're focusing on things that matter more. (though the space program has generated quite a bit of technology and information that has helped people in their everyday lives.)

Comment

Ok wait a minute. NASA isn't shutting down. They're just changing shifts. At same time, they're also are not going to receive any funding from the government due to budget cuts.

The 'shuttle' program is what's done for, as in those giant bricks with wings will all retire. Sure it was the signature model for NASA, but for their standards the shuttles are becoming more of a maintenance nightmare, plus they have been running the same design for 30 years. It's time to switch to something new, something that can work with 21st technology and not be retrofitted with it.

It back to the drawing board for a new rocket to carry humans, but for now NASA is doing the smarter thing moving on to robotic missions, which I believe is cheaper and more efficient at gathering information.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                            -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
                              Ok wait a minute. NASA isn't shutting down. They're just changing shifts. At same time, they're also are not going to receive any funding from the government due to budget cuts.

The 'shuttle' program is what's done for, as in those giant bricks with wings will all retire. Sure it was the signature model for NASA, but for their standards the shuttles are becoming more of a maintenance nightmare, plus they have been running the same design for 30 years. It's time to switch to something new, something that can work with 21st technology and not be retrofitted with it.

It back to the drawing board for a new rocket to carry humans, but for now NASA is doing the smarter thing moving on to robotic missions, which I believe is cheaper and more efficient at gathering information.
                              who said NASA was shutting down?
                              ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Working...
                              X