Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you were young, was everything handed to you or did you work for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cb7 I had to buy it from my dad even though it was just sitting in the yard. My parents didn't by me nothing. I got my first job and saved up for my first car. I am kinda glad though because I worked for it and I appreciate it a whole lot more. But my parents did buy my bothers car but he is going to college to be a lawyer so I guess the expect some money out of that IDK but its whatever.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      you think 10k dollar cars are flaunting? LOL I went to high school in North Scottsdale. Parents buy brand new Lexus' and BMWs for their kids. One kid even had a bright yellow Hummer H1.

I worked hard for my Accord. I spent the entire summer when I was 16 bagging groceries for 6 bucks an hour in 110*+ heat. I scrounged up a little over half the cost of my CB7, 2600 bucks and my parents put up 2000 for 4600 total back in 2003. Got her w/ 118k miles and drove the shit outta her lol, what else do you do when you're 16? Probably why the tranny blew 20k miles later lol...but that's a different thread.

Hard work teaches you the value of money especially when you have to buy your first car through the money you make at your job.

I now laugh at all the kids who went to the nearby community college afterwards and have made nothing of themselves. Can't wait to see how they turned out 10 yrs later.

X2 but with out blown tranny

Comment

My dad also bought me my car. I didn't have a job until this past summer but I paid for all my mods and gas myself. All my dad did was cover fees and insurance.

I emptied my savings for this car. Stupid? A little. Does anyone care or respect me more? Not really. I do my car for me with the little money I get regardless of what comments I get in return.

I have friends who have +$20k cars that mommy and daddy bought them, but they do their own work and buy their own mods for it and I respect them.

Do I hate on the girl at my school who's dad is in the mafia and lets her drive 2 different C-Class Mercedes? No... She looks hot driving them so I could care less.

As for your comment about other kids not appreciating their car as much as you, who are you to judge that? Just because my dad bought me this CB, and other members worked their butt off for their car means I can't appreciate my car as much as they appreciate theirs?

Comment

My mom bought me a 85 accord as my first car. I guess you can call that my graduation gift. We didn't have a lot of money back then either so I ended up working after graduation to buy my a 2001 civic. I just figured she needed the better car bc she had to drive far to work and her used Mazda van blew it's brains out on the freeway.

Anyhow I did all the repair work myself. Even put on a new exhaust when the old one rusted out.

Comment

Originally posted by zmanwit90accord View Post
            My dad also bought me my car. I didn't have a job until this past summer but I paid for all my mods and gas myself. All my dad did was cover fees and insurance.

I emptied my savings for this car. Stupid? A little. Does anyone care or respect me more? Not really. I do my car for me with the little money I get regardless of what comments I get in return.

I have friends who have +$20k cars that mommy and daddy bought them, but they do their own work and buy their own mods for it and I respect them.

Do I hate on the girl at my school who's dad is in the mafia and lets her drive 2 different C-Class Mercedes? No... She looks hot driving them so I could care less.

As for your comment about other kids not appreciating their car as much as you, who are you to judge that? Just because my dad bought me this CB, and other members worked their butt off for their car means I can't appreciate my car as much as they appreciate theirs?
            Im just saying that you will never know the feeling of working hard and having the Cb as a reward. Something that you know is all yours. You appreciate it how you like, but that feeling wont be there.

And thanks for chiming in with your stories everybody. That one about the supercars in canada is seriously fucked up.

Sold to: dbsharp, daheavyking X3
            Bought from:'93CB7Ex, xkjnboix, duffmanivxx, remix405, CB7tuner official shop

Comment

I worked and payed for 3 of my cars, 1 was given to me by my grandfater. My first car 3000gt vr4, I bought when I was 15. Sold my quad (which I also payed for) to pay for it. Started working the next summer, and dumped every penny I had into that car. It is now in better than In showroom condition, and has won tons of trophys, and I even got invited for my car to be an extra in f&f 4. After I finished that car at age 17, I started buying cars, fixing them up, then reselling them for a profit. Between doing that, working full time, I managed to save up enough to get another one of my dream cars (c5 corvette) Bought that last summer, and now its my daily driver. I also have a 1930 ford model a, which my grandfather gave me, and an 02 acura rsx type s.

Alot of people think because I have 4 cars at age 20, that my parents pay for all of them, but such is not the case.

If you are jealous that people have 10000 cars at your highschool, that is nothing. My old high school parents were buying their kids new audi's, bmw's an audi s5 and one girl got a 911 carrera convertible.

Comment

Personally, if youre getting pissed at what other people have, you clearly dont appreicate what you have. things could be worse, you could not have a car...

I have four cars, a 1965 ford falcon, 1968 chevy C20 and my 90 EX coupe and my newest addition, 1997 Silverado...( I really would like to have my mom back instead of her truck)

the 65 falcon two door, I got when I was 8 from my dad, he got it for free, it was complete, but lady wanted to get rid of it. so techincally no money was spent. the 68 chevy, I brought that. The 90 ex coupe, I brought that. the 97 silverado, I inherited that.

Like people have said, worry about your own shit and not what everyone else has. and like someone said, it builds character...and I have lots of that.

Comment

I think you shouldn't envy the kids that have it handed to them.. some are decent people. If they don't flaunt it, that's fine. The ones that flaunt will prob be the ones that will fail later when they are on their own and their car is broke down and they don't know how to fix it or the money to pay someone . And they can't fix it cause they never had to. I have seen it many times.
                  My parents helped me a lot but my dad did teach me how to work on my own car. I have saved thousands of dollars and I know its done right.
                  Learn how to do it on your own when possible and one day they will be calling you asking you to help.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

My parents were good to me. We were ok financially when I was really young (10 and under), though we never had a whole lot. Basically, my parents did a good job of hiding the fact that we were poor!

My folks split when I was 13, and then we had nothing at all. I didn't care. I had my bike, my video games (always a year or two after each new system came out... but whatever...), my guitar, and my CDs. That stuff, and my friends... that's all I needed to be happy.

I didn't have a car until I was 19 (1999). My mom's boyfriend (now my stepfather), co-owned a Chrysler dealership, and gave me my first car: a 1987 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo (automatic... 140hp.) Worth about $500. The transmission blew in a month, and I paid $600 of my own money (all I had) to replace it. I didn't even think to ask David (stepdad) to fix it... and he would have... I just assumed "this is my car... fixing it is my responsibility."
                    When my dad's Plymouth Reliant finally blew up (ran on 3 cylinders for a year!), I bought HIM another car (a 1980 Regal, that I sold to my friend after my dad died... that thing ran for about 25 years!)
                    I paid my own way through college... all 7 years of it. Money left to my mom by my grandmother when she died helped pay for Rutgers a bit. The rest was out of my own pocket.

So yeah... my parents put me through Catholic school, bought me braces, and gave me enough as a kid that I didn't realize we were poor... but I haven't had very much handed to me. I feel uncomfortable accepting something that I didn't earn

As for the kids that were given everything (I didn't know any of them very well... not where I grew up!) Those that didn't act like they were better than everyone else, and those that didn't completely take things for granted ("if I crash this new car, mommy will buy me another one!") were cool with me. I never thought I was any less for being poor, or that anyone else was any better for having money. If they saw things the same way, we were cool.
                    One thing I did learn quickly... the "my shit don't stink" rich kids that wanted to rub it in my face didn't know how to fight! That evened the playing field a little...

Comment

Originally posted by stewie View Post
                      heres how they're turning out...

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/mill...p=1&s=dd#video

this was last week in my area...
                      "charges of driving without due care and attention"... so that's what? A slap on the wrist and a fine? I'm sure whatever the fine is, it won't even be a drop in the bucket to mommy and daddy, who can afford to buy those cars for their kids!

Yeah, THOSE are the kids that piss me off... they have it, they take it for granted, and they show no sense of responsibility... because their parents will handle whatever trouble they get into.

Comment

Originally posted by Pali_Mo View Post
                        Im just saying that you will never know the feeling of working hard and having the Cb as a reward. Something that you know is all yours. You appreciate it how you like, but that feeling wont be there.
                        I completely disagree.

Once again, who are you to tell me how much I appreciate my car?

My CB is all mine. Just because I didn't work to obtain it, I've worked to keep it.

That's like saying a kid who pays his way through college will appreciate it more than one who's had it paid in full whether it be by parents or scholarships. You're thinking of very specific cases and I just don't think your statement (rant) can be generalized.

If someone truly loves something or someone (object or person) then they are going to appreciate it no matter how they got it and no matter what dollar amount was put into it.

Ever get a gift (item that was given to you for free) from someone you loves very much? And you hold that item very close to your heart? Don't you appreciate it? Don't you appreciate the fact that someone loves you enough and cares about you enough to do something for you.

Comment

It comes down to a matter of respect and appreciation for what you have... whether it's given to you, or you worked your fingers to the bone for it.

To look at the other side of the coin... I know people that worked their assess off to buy brand new cars, only to beat the shit out of those cars. In their mind, they worked for it, they earned it, so they'll do what they want to it. They don't respect it as you'd think someone who worked hard should.

Sure, it's easier for someone who was handed everything, and never had to work hard a day in their life to obtain what they have, to take it for granted. However, that doesn't mean that everyone that has been given nice things will take it for granted. That respect and appreciation is something the parents need to teach their kids.

Comment

When I was 17, my uncle's Accord was handed to me in a terrible shape (primed grey, rusted corners, miss match int. and parts) On the upside he gave me $300 to "refurnish" it and an H22 was already equipped. The car went through $2k that I had to earn while fixing the interior and body. Looked good as new when I sold it for 4k. It was never under my name, but I did chip in for insurance with my parents.

After I sold it, I saved upped and earned enough cash to out right buy a 2005 legacy (took me a year to save). Thinking back, I should've made payments instead to raise my credit ( I'm usually against car payments, but only if you're living by per paystub and know you'll struggle with the payments). I bought the car when I was 19 years old. Some people didn't/ don't believe me, so I have a video of showing my parents the car after I bought it (they never knew). I already spent at least $1800 just in modifications. I know I spent more, but I don't want sit, think, and cry about . Another thousand in suspension work will happen soon. Regarding the coverage, I pay full insurance, tag, registration, gas, etc on my own now.

Other Items I bought on my own include a ps3, games, two laptops, a 46'' lcd television, printers, clothing, phone, small stuff ,etc. I pretty much take care of myself, even when it comes to food. I just came home with a BK meal and the family had cooked. I prefer it this way because I feel proud to say "I did that!". Also, even though it's my parents, the thought of asking them for something doesn't feel right. I still always feel like I owe them. On the plus, I still live with my parents and they do pay for my phone bill.

I'm still a full time student and still pay for classes and books, but financial does help there. However, my biggest source of income is my job. It's full time and quite stressful at times. Funny though, I can maintain status as full time student and employee, yet keep weekends free. You'd be shocked becuase if ya met me, I would be the laziest mutha effa you'll know !
                            Last edited by ibr_adam09; 09-08-2011, 12:27 AM.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                            -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

sounds like a bunch of haters in here. Isnt that part of the reason everyone wants money, so they can take care of their family, kids, etc...so they dont have to put up with bullshit poor people do?

I worked/payed for all of my cars.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Don't worry about other people. I went to a high school that had the news write an article about the type of cars high school students were driving in (audi S4's, bmw m3's, etc...) I was reppin' my 92 accord. BTW, I can tell you right now, many people that were "the shit" in high school are nobodies now. Those popularity contests don't mean shit in the real world. Hit the books and get a higher education past high school. You will see that in college, the social aspect of high school is but a mere glimpse of the past.

I don't think you have enough basis to generalize and say having bought your own vehicle makes you appreciate it more than having it given to you. In high school, although I was working, my mom gave me a whopping $3k that she worked really hard for, to purchase a vehicle. Ironically, I appreciate the car even more because I know how much sacrifice went into making that money. I will tell you this, being financially independent and paying all your bills on time while seemingly easy to do, is a wonderful trait to have as an adult. Don't depend on your parents as much and you will be ahead of the curve at an early age. I've been financially independent since the day I graduated high school. I can tell you my mother appreciates it since she has enough to worry about and I appreciate the shit I buy even more because I know the value of a dollar.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
                                X