Porsche Cayman S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
    You say you aren't, but frankly, it sounds to me like you are after status...

Especially when you start cutting down what you perceive to be "inferior" choices...

For starters, as much as I love a good six or 8, it is pretty hard to crap on a K20, which is frankly one of the most sonorous and fun engines built in the last decade. Despite expensive Bimmers and other expensive hardware, it is just hard to get tired of it, especially for the price and cost of running it. Not saying you should buy an Si by any means, but it is no different to shit on it and talk about how "ordinary" and inferior it is than it is to talk about how people with a Cayman have a small dick.

And for $40K, I would personally have a list of cars other than a Cayman that I would like. They wouldn't make you feel as important, but they would be better overall cars IMO. I can think of about 5 off the top of my head that probably would end up in the garage before a Cayman, and only 1 is a Honda, and it isn't new.

But you are right, you should get what you want.

P.S. While building the Accord might not be a proposition, or a desired path (which I can understand), it is certainly possible to match the performance of some serious cars and still have a completely reliable car... I watched 2point6 run his against some serious hardware and keep up when it was +60WHP down from its final total with the H22, and they can handle, even though it is easier to start with a newer platform. Again, not saying that you want to to it or should, merely that it is possible.

Ultimately, like everything else, you are going to do what you want, and it doesn't really affect me, so I could care less. It just seems to me from an observatory standpoint that you are more interested in keeping up with the Jones's and finding a status symbol that can go fast based on the statements you have made. Just my $.02.
    when a car company you love doesn't produce any RWD sports coupes anymore, where are you left to go if that's what you're after? Do you wait around, hoping that in the next few years they would produce one? Or do you look around and maybe get something different?

I've loved my Accord, that's why I've owned it for almost 9 yrs. But there comes a time where you're tired of the same old stuff and want something new.

i've seen muscle car guys change to imports, import guys change to muscle cars, Idk I feel something new would be fun and interesting.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I won't say don't do it, because I personally like the Cayman and understand why you'd want one. I know like everyone else, I'd worry about cost of ownership being that it's German (I have no facts or figures like you asked though). Plus the fact that I've been dying for a Z06 Corvette (that would be cheaper/in the same price range used while still getting good gas mileage!) for the last few months isn't helping my decision

I'm not sure what it is, but the image of driving a 1990 Honda Accord and a newer Porsche at the same times just seems.. odd.

Best of luck with whatever you decide though

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
        You'd seriously tell me you'd rather have a civic then a Porsche? forget all the maint costs, insurance, etc. Which would you rather drive and have fun with on the weekends, opening up on a mountain road listening to the sweet sound of the exhaust? a 4 cyl civic? the 2012 version is disappointing.
        Good point. I wouldn't get either though. I'd go for something with a bit more power. Then you can show your buddies from work that their cars aren't all that fast )) I'm just not impressed at all with ~300hp Porsches

Comment

Originally posted by apuforyou View Post
          I won't say don't do it, because I personally like the Cayman and understand why you'd want one. I know like everyone else, I'd worry about cost of ownership being that it's German (I have no facts or figures like you asked though). Plus the fact that I've been dying for a Z06 Corvette (that would be cheaper/in the same price range used while still getting good gas mileage!) for the last few months isn't helping my decision

I'm not sure what it is, but the image of driving a 1990 Honda Accord and a newer Porsche at the same times just seems.. odd.

Best of luck with whatever you decide though
          yeah, I was browsing a porsche forum just for kicks, and noticed a lot of people that had Caymans, had some other VW/Audi product for DD, like an A4 or passat/jetta. Wish I could afford that, but if I get a Cayman, then I'd for sure not be able to afford another car.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

What honestly is so scary?
            Two words

Scheduled maintenance.

that, plus payments and insurance and theres no fucking way in the world I would do it.

Go get something nice(r) but I would stay away from a porsche. You are too young man, and the overall costs dont seem to be registering to you at all.

And how are you going to feel when your 40k used car(lol) breaks down, or gets spanked by a honda.

Racing the porsche is only going to ruine it-and you know this man. But, I am sure you will flog the shit out of it if you get one.

Also, its really not that fast at all. You are interested in the brand and status. You have to be, because nothing about this car screams performance like you are coming across like it should. I bet your buddies will still pwn you in a porsche man.

300hp is nothing to shake a stick at, but its also peanuts in the game of 'fast'

Why not get something that makes similar power for half the money. Get an ls2 GTO for like 12-15 grand, slap on a vararam intake, some long tube headers and a nice shot of the wet stuff and you could cut 11's no problem while DD'ing your status wagon.

My opinion, its too much status, too much cost, too much attention, too flashy, too much hype, too little potential.

Girls are going to assume you have a small penis if you drive one.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
              Honestly, most of the people here are either 16-21 students with no money, or older and simply put don't have very high paying jobs. Caymans are pretty sweet. Def not as *** as the Boxster and are more nimble in the corners than a 911.

You can easily nab a 06-07 for around $40k. Yeah maintenance will be high but fuck it, you're young and single. This is the time to do shit like this. Hell, I know I am trying to kinda do the same thing.
              That was the base price of a Cayman and Boxster brand new. He's looking around 20k for one of those...

Comment

Also, why is everyone trashing on the cost of ownership yet doesn't provide any convincing examples of what things would have to be replaced?

name some items other than pads, rotors, tires, obvious stuff that costs more since the car does have brembos, and a staggered michelin Pilot sport PS2 tire setup from the factory.

What honestly is so scary?
                When we had our Cayenne S, tires were 1200 bucks, brakes were around the same. An oil change was around $230+. We had a headlight go out, Porsche replaced the WHOLE assembly $500+, for ONE headlight. They don't just replace the bulb, if one thing goes wrong, they replace the whole thing. Windshield wipers, that was $100+ easy. Mind you we got every thing done at a Porsche dealership.

The Cayman should also be bear the same cost of maintenance. Porsche makes wonderful cars, no doubt but its repairs that get you! Our family could pay for repairs and stuff with ease and the car was reliable but it was time to be replaced.

I say go for it, as long as you have the money for the upkeep on it. If not, look as something entirely out of it's class. BMW, Audi, Merc, all have around the same cost of ownership...

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                  When we had our Cayenne S, tires were 1200 bucks, brakes were around the same. An oil change was around $230+. We had a headlight go out, Porsche replaced the WHOLE assembly $500+, for ONE headlight. They don't just replace the bulb, if one thing goes wrong, they replace the whole thing. Windshield wipers, that was $100+ easy. Mind you we got every thing done at a Porsche dealership.

The Cayman should also be bear the same cost of maintenance. Porsche makes wonderful cars, no doubt but its repairs that get you! Our family could pay for repairs and stuff with ease and the car was reliable but it was time to be replaced.

I say go for it, as long as you have the money for the upkeep on it. If not, look as something entirely out of it's class. BMW, Audi, Merc, all have around the same cost of ownership...
                  Well the key here would be to find a porsche authorized repair shop. Any dealership will rape you in price for repairs. I recall paying almost 400 for them to fix a sticking front left brake caliper on my Accord back in 2005 when I really didn't know about cars. Now that I know better, I can easily tackle things such as brakes, tires, etc at home or at a repair shop.

You should only go to the dealer if you have a warranty claim on something, otherwise, its just not worth it, there are plenty of shops out there that can do it for less than half the price and are still fully certified and accredited to do so.

Things like oil changes and brakes, I could do myself.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

It seems that you have already made up your mind about purchasing a Cayman.

Good luck.

Comment

Well the key here would be to find a porsche authorized repair shop. Any dealership will rape you in price for repairs. I recall paying almost 400 for them to fix a sticking front left brake caliper on my Accord back in 2005 when I really didn't know about cars. Now that I know better, I can easily tackle things such as brakes, tires, etc at home or at a repair shop.

You should only go to the dealer if you have a warranty claim on something, otherwise, its just not worth it, there are plenty of shops out there that can do it for less than half the price and are still fully certified and accredited to do so.

Things like oil changes and brakes, I could do myself.
                      We had our Cayenne S brand new with a warranty. Still costly to fix, even when you do have money. You can get your car fixed at an indy mechanic shop, but it's your choice.

Comment

See the thing your missing is if you take this step and then lose your job, how will you afford it?

That is the notion Scott was tying to pass on to you.

And PLEASE don't feed me bs about not losing a job.

If it weren't possible, then no one would worry about it.

Today is a different ball game...you might not know being you've been in school.

I, personally, think owning a car that costs that much to maintain(even half those prices at an authorized shop) is one of the bigges wastes ever.

I dream of driving them and owning them, but I also live in reality.

And things would not be different if I had a better paying job.

I look foward to spending money on my house and my family.

I'd love a project car, maybe an Accord, or maybe an old classic car....

but cars in that class like the Porsche......Idk....unless you have ass ends of money, it just isn't worth it.

You will get bored of it quickly, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                          That was the base price of a Cayman and Boxster brand new. He's looking around 20k for one of those...
                          Current prices:
                          $51,900 Cayman
                          $62,100 Cayman S

Did a quick auto trader search for Cayman 500 mi from me, no price params, with 2010 as max year. Cheapest was over $28k.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter
                          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                            Current prices:
                            $51,900 Cayman
                            $62,100 Cayman S

Did a quick auto trader search for Cayman 500 mi from me, no price params, with 2010 as max year. Cheapest was over $28k.
                            yeah the ones worth having are 06+ for the Cayman S and 07+ for the Boxter S since it got the Cayman's engine

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                              See the thing your missing is if you take this step and then lose your job, how will you afford it?

That is the notion Scott was tying to pass on to you.

And PLEASE don't feed me bs about not losing a job.

If it weren't possible, then no one would worry about it.

Today is a different ball game...you might not know being you've been in school.

I, personally, think owning a car that costs that much to maintain(even half those prices at an authorized shop) is one of the bigges wastes ever.

I dream of driving them and owning them, but I also live in reality.

And things would not be different if I had a better paying job.

I look foward to spending money on my house and my family.

I'd love a project car, maybe an Accord, or maybe an old classic car....

but cars in that class like the Porsche......Idk....unless you have ass ends of money, it just isn't worth it.

You will get bored of it quickly, trust me.
                              See the thing is, I Don't have a house or a family to support and I don't think I will for at least 10 yrs.

The career choice I've made is a solid choice and is FAR from being in jeopardy. I work with hybrid cars and hybrid technology. The government is mandating all cars meet CAFE standards of 35mpg for manufacturers in the very near future. How do you think they'll do that? with hybrid cars.

We have projects line up for at least the next 5 yrs down the road already.

People don't get bored of Porsches, I'm definitely bored of my Accord right now since I've practically modified everything on it.

The car isn't 150k new, its 60k new, I wont have to spend ass loads of money every week on it. I don't know where you got that mentality.

member's ride thread
                              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

See the thing is, I Don't have a house or a family to support and I don't think I will for at least 10 yrs.

The career choice I've made is a solid choice and is FAR from being in jeopardy. I work with hybrid cars and hybrid technology. The government is mandating all cars meet CAFE standards of 35mpg for manufacturers in the very near future. How do you think they'll do that? with hybrid cars.

We have projects line up for at least the next 5 yrs down the road already.

People don't get bored of Porsches, I'm definitely bored of my Accord right now since I've practically modified everything on it.

The car isn't 150k new, its 60k new, I wont have to spend ass loads of money every week on it. I don't know where you got that mentality.

You can get bored with everything.

Just do it bro, next post from you should have a pic of you standing next to a porsche
                                H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Working...
                                X