Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever deleted a partition by mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever deleted a partition by mistake?

I just spent the last 22 hours recovering over 300 gigs of data after mistakenly deleting it from my computer. Throughout the entire ordeal, i had that sickening feeling in my stomach and felt like i could shit a brick at any moment after coming to realize what i had did.

Seems like I got lucky as the software I had used was a hit or miss with people. Before any asks why i don't have a back up hard drive, that actually was my back up drive that i mistakenly deleted. It was a Hitachi SimpleDrive but the enclosure crapped out so i busted it open and yanked out the SATA drive which i then plugged into my tower. Anyhow, i think i'm going to unplug that drive so that it doesn't show up in my computer but when i need to make backups, i'll just plug it back in.

Just in case this occurs to anyone, the software was called EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional and it'll cost you $90 bucks. It was fairly easy to use but terribly freaking slow searching for files.

I've always had better luck with some freewares out there than pay-for products. It seems the ones you pay for are much larger programs that have a Jabba-like presence on your computer unless uninstalled.

If I were you I would borrow someone's spare drive and copy your data onto it temporarily and then reformat your external drive. Set up your external drive and reset your back up preferences and transfer everything back onto it.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

i deleted a partition once, but instead of doing a long ass recovery i used an app to undelete the partition. as soon as i clicked, all the files were back in place.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
        i deleted a partition once, but instead of doing a long ass recovery i used an app to undelete the partition. as soon as i clicked, all the files were back in place.
        really? do you remember what you used? It took so freaking long to recover those files and i hope i never have to go through that again.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        I've always had better luck with some freewares out there than pay-for products. It seems the ones you pay for are much larger programs that have a Jabba-like presence on your computer unless uninstalled.

If I were you I would borrow someone's spare drive and copy your data onto it temporarily and then reformat your external drive. Set up your external drive and reset your back up preferences and transfer everything back onto it.
        I was going to go that route by using the freewares but a lot of them didn't support the Dynamic disk type that Window's used. Medboot1 was too complicated to install and to figure out which was why i ended up with EaseUs.

As for the external drive, the drive itself is good but the enclosure that Hitachi used crapped out. The light on the front lights up but when you connect it to a USB slot, nothing. I went to Tomshardware.com and found an article where a lot of people were having issues with that type of drive and they all said that it was the connections on the rear. This led me to youtube to find a video on how to crack it open, did that and ripped the HDD out to find out it uses a SATA connection. Anyhow i'm going to leave it in my PC tower where it will be safe but i'll just unplug it from the power so it is not active.
        Last edited by Leung; 07-25-2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu can do this by default.....
          But free ones for Windows are better.
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
            Ubuntu can do this by default.....
            But free ones for Windows are better.
            one of the main reasons ive been meaning to run a or dual boot one of my machines with ubuntu.

i lost a backup drive once, but had a friend that worked for a huge company that dealt with ppl loosing their drives or computer crashes etc all the time, he did it for free(apparently they charged $65.00 an hr, pretty sure it was like under 6 clicks of a mouse, lmao) of course, it took though 8 hrs for a 320gig WD drive. only 290gigs were used. it was a horrible feeling but recovered.

-LoS
            " The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred " - Soichiro Honda

Comment

There is a buttload of software out there that can recover stuff (Had to do this many times in my life as I like to break and rebuild stuff). And I am not happy with ubuntu anymore they have become way bloated and I dislike Gnome 3 with a passion. You may look at a Backtrack linux for good recovery stuff for free!!!
              The CB7 Collector.
              Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
              92 LX Coupe F22A1
              2013 Toyota Corolla S
              92 EX Sedan F22A1
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Working...
              X