Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone....

Research and follow torque specs. They are there for a reason. If you don't follow them, they could end up costing you lots of money, as well as headaches.

Cliffs: I tightened my front cross member to where I thought would be good (didn't want to strip it).

I've had a knock for the past few weeks. When I replaced my passenger side axle I noticed the ball joint was a little wobbly. I also noticed my rotors were beginning to warp. I replaced both on both sides. The knock was still there, and still getting louder and more frequent. Replaced the upper ball joints (again, no play attached, but detached there were wobbly) for free under warranty, noice still there.
    So now I'm all out of suspension ideas, and I know I still have a tire wear issue. My drivers side inner part is worn so bad it actually has an angle to it!
    Three separate people suggest motor mounts, and I do have a bit of play, but I don't think that's the issue.
    I recall in the past I've had issues with my radius rods loosening, and wonder if they (or the crossmember) could've loosened again. I check the torque specs in my digitized manual, see they're at 47 and 49 ft lbs. I grab my torque wrench and head out.
    Well,
    my passenger side was so loose I could move it with my hand. Both bolts.

I tightened those fuckers up! The drivers side was better, but I checked it just in case.

Took it for a test drive, looks like I fixed the issue, but it's wet out, so when I slam on the brakes I slide. (ABS is broken because of a leak).

Anyways, torque specs save lives, as this isn't the first time it's happened.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

had one that continued to keep loosening and turned out to be a bad differential bearing. caused such violent axle movement that it would loosen the radius rod nut. i even used green lock tite!
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
      had one that continued to keep loosening and turned out to be a bad differential bearing. caused such violent axle movement that it would loosen the radius rod nut. i even used green lock tite!
      Green is the weakest! Blue is standard (and what I used), red is permanent.
      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I did the opposite with my crossmember. I overtorqued the bolts, stripping them. I now have a traction bar welded in place.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I did the opposite with my crossmember. I overtorqued the bolts, stripping them. I now have a traction bar welded in place.
          I know, that's why I wanted to be gentle in the first place!
          MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Im real meticoulous when it comes down to lugnuts when I was still friends with certain people they did not take care of their cars properly. After I saw that their lugnuts were stripped I helped them replace the bolts.

After that point I always watched the lugnut pattern for one and I always made sure they are put on the top of the cars windshield in the gutter part to make sure that no debris or tiny rocks get caught in there to unless un-holy hell on the lugnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
              Green is the weakest! Blue is standard (and what I used), red is permanent.
              and...another reason why you work at autozone.
              I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                and...another reason why you work at autozone.
                Green is penetrating, yes?
                PSI is least on that one, yes?
                I'll take some pics tomorrow night, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                  Green is penetrating, yes?
                  PSI is least on that one, yes?
                  I'll take some pics tomorrow night, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
                  not 680, google it.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                  X