Laptop suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop suggestions

I have a dell latitude d600 that's old as hell. I bought it off someone 5 years ago. The battery died, the hinges broke, then the charger went out. It did everything I needed it to do. So I go shopping at bestbuy. I get a asus something with a disk drive. It was the cheapest one they had, but the "computer expert" told me if I was happy with my old dell, it's all I needed. We got it home, and it instantly froze up, would stop working and basically sucked, so I took it back to a different bestbuy. They took it back. So I go to their "computer expert" tell him I want a laptop to do what my old dell did, he asked a few questions, like did I need a disk drive...I said no. So I ce home with a asus x401a. I took it ou the box, charged it overnight, and took it to work with me the next day. I played with it a bit at work, it was quick, seemed to be what I needed. That was Monday. Bring it home and put it up. Well I open it today, turn it on, and I be damn, all it wants to do is reload windows. So it's sitting in front of me for the past 4 hours trying to. So screw the "bestbuy experts" the closest on to me is a hour away. I've bought 2 different lap tops in 2 different store, and powered on both them a combined 5 times, and both suck. So this ones going back too, luckily i had planed to take my son to the zoo Saturday, so I'll take the 10 min to return this pos.

So I need a laptop, what I need it to do is, surf the web, iTunes, and music. I get all my music via zip files, when I load them on my iPod, I erase the zip, the extracted files, and iTunes. The zip files are readily available, so I don't need to store them on my computer......and that's about it. I don't play games, download or watch movies, or do word, or power points, or any of that shit. I don't use it daily. I don't need a disk drive. I would like to keep it in the $400 range, I just one something that can put music on my ipHone/iPod, and I can surf the web a bit...Any suggestions?

I've never had any issues with HP computers or laptops. If you're not using it everyday as you said, why not look into a mini laptop. They don't have disk drives, CD or otherwise. They're small enough you can almost throw it in your pocket, should have plenty ram and hard drive space to do what you want/need, since you don't store your music on it. And you can get one at WalMart for under 300 dollars. You may be able to get one for under 250, depending on where you shop.

Comment

You definitely looking for a netbook. They run $200+ on BestBuy.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
        You definitely looking for a netbook. They run $200+ on BestBuy.
        What I just got has no disk drive..and it's the cheapest one from bestbuy, or at least that's what the salesmen told me

I bought a hp net book in February, I didn't like how small it was, and sold it. Iam 6'5" and sitting in the recliner, it just was too small to see

I never thought of buying one from Walmart, but I guess I should, since there is one where I live, and returning it if it had a problem would beat the hell out of driving a hour one way to the nearest best buy

And if it had a disk drive or doesn't.....doesn't really bother me. I got a desk top if I need to put something to/from disk. My 2 year old has a iPad, and the car has headrest tv's, so I don't need a laptop to play movies on trips
        Last edited by Soufkackicustom; 09-26-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Well I have a few things to say about that. I you buy a computer from Best Buy you must do a clean install immediately. They have weird kiosk software and tons of bloatware. Second, I can't believe you had that much trouble with Asus, I consider them to be my favorite company (except Main Gear, but that's like buying a Lambo) and the only issues I had with them were cause from being Best Buy computers. I've had my G73 for a few years now and it's the tits, still faster than most even after all these years and has been problem free.
          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

My first laptop was a Toshiba that i bought from Best Buy for 650 bucks back in 2006; the only problem i had with it was it had Vista on it and its annoying and constant asking for permission. I'd recommend Dell but they are pricey as hell. I felt with a Toshiba, you're getting performance and reliability at a lower cost.

I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the mouths of anyone that works at Best Buy. Just browse their website and see what piques your interest and then search for reviews on it on the internet to see what people are saying about that particular model.

My younger brother ordered a Toshiba laptop off of Amazon his senior year of high school, the hard drive died in it over this past spring but a phone call to Toshiba and they had a box sent here for the warranty. They originally quoted us of taking at least a week for the turn around but we got it back in two days instead. Now that's what i call service.
            Last edited by Leung; 09-27-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
              Well I have a few things to say about that. I you buy a computer from Best Buy you must do a clean install immediately. They have weird kiosk software and tons of bloatware. Second, I can't believe you had that much trouble with Asus, I consider them to be my favorite company (except Main Gear, but that's like buying a Lambo) and the only issues I had with them were cause from being Best Buy computers. I've had my G73 for a few years now and it's the tits, still faster than most even after all these years and has been problem free.
              On amazon everyone gives asus great reviews. The one I have now finally loaded windows, but every time I restart it, it says "initializing first time use". It's usable, but not like it should be. The first time I used it, it was perfect. Today it went nuts, 2nd time it was powered on, 4 days old

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                My first laptop was a Toshiba that i bought from Best Buy for 650 bucks back in 2006; the only problem i had with it was it had Vista on it and its annoying and constant asking for permission. I'd recommend Dell but they are pricey as hell. I felt with a Toshiba, you're getting performance and reliability at a lower cost.

I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the mouths of anyone that works at Best Buy. Just browse their website and see what piques your interest and then search for reviews on it on the internet to see what people are saying about that particular model.

My younger brother ordered a Toshiba laptop off of Amazon his senior year of high school, the hard drive died in it over this past spring but a phone call to Toshiba and they had a box sent here for the warranty. They originally quoted us of taking at least a week for the turn around but we got it back in two days instead. Now that's what i call service.
                Vista is what's wrong with my hp desktop. The only reason I do
                T use it..well I hate sitting at the desk, and my wife runs her photograph business off it...and she always has the memory almost full. After Christmas she is getting a new desktop built

Comment

Well since it is so new, do a clean install on it ASAP. With new computer it only takes a few hours at most. Use your windows code sticker on it and download the boot and you can get Windows from Microsoft online. Seriously, don't do anymore to it and just do a clean install. The hardware is all fine. There are step by step instructions online, easy to follow.
                  '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by Soufkackicustom View Post
                    Vista is what's wrong with my hp desktop. The only reason I do
                    T use it..well I hate sitting at the desk, and my wife runs her photograph business off it...and she always has the memory almost full. After Christmas she is getting a new desktop built
                    If the desktop is still good, just buy a bigger hard drive and clone the old one.

I think Vista is the reason why my 2006 Toshiba was rarely ever used and was still in immaculate condition when i gave it to my sister. It was nice looking but it was so freaking annoying. i'd rather go back to using XP if Win7 didn't exist yet.

Comment

I would get a netbook for your convenience you can always get a portable cd drive burner. And besides they last longer as far as battery power to be honest with you and its lighter and portable.

I hate the idea of carrying around a huge ass laptop. I call my laptop my shelf top because its just sitting there collecting dust.

Comment

What do you know, powered up the asus, it said "preparing for first use" loaded up and a box popped up, so I clicked ok. The computer restarted, asked me all the setup questions like it did the day I got it, and now works perfectly. So I download mp3 rocket and start ripping songs off YouTube...I think I got 80 of them, no problems at all with loading mp3 rocket, java that's required to run it, or the 80 songs as fast as I could find them. It d/l them fast, and I streamed a radio station at the same time. Then loaded the mp3 player up, moved files on/off/ and around on it, deleted what I had ripped off the computer, and shut it down....it worked perfectly. Guess I'll see tomm if it's still working this way

Comment

I love Toshiba. They have fast response to customer service never on the phone for long periods of time like hp or dell. I've had two now.
                          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

With any OEM preloaded computer, the first thing you should do is run a program called PCDecrapifier. Its a free automated bloatware finder/uninstaller utility. Ideally it always best to do a clean os install where possible. Any recovery discs that you generate from that system will most likely restore all the bloatware on a reload.
                            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

I have had a HP HDX 16T for the past 4 years. It's been okay despite all of the software and driver compatibility issues. I've have a few problems here and there, some of which still exist 'til this day. She still fires up, but I see she's on her last few beats. I wouldn't recommend HP as a first choice, but they can sometimes get the job done.

I didn't see any talk about a Mac Book Pro. It serves every purpose you need it for, and you get the best mileage out of it for your buck. I see people still using their Macs from 2006 with no problems. What?
                              The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                              X