Manual Tranny size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Tranny size

hey guys . its been a minute since ive posted here and ive figured its best to ask you guys since cb7tuner's have always been experts at everything in my opinion .

ive never replaced the tranny fluid inside a manual transmission, and i havent seen a dipstick in any. so how can you be accurate in exactly how much transmission fluid its needed. especially in cars with non-factory transmissions .

the only thing i can come up with is measure the amount of fluid that comes out of it but im sure you guys have better suggestions

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Fill it till it comes out of the top hole. Stop filling it.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

ah so no such thing as over filling in a manual transaxle.

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Comment

yes there is but if you must know. honda says 1.8 quarts. i use 2 qts....works fine

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by tear2wo View Post
          the only thing i can come up with is measure the amount of fluid that comes out of it but im sure you guys have better suggestions
          You fill from fill hole till it runs out from that hole. There's no way you can over fill it.

Since the capacity of MTF is known, there's nothing I can add. But, the method you thought of doing, I wouldn't be doing it. Because you could have been low on MTF to begin with. If you use that as your reference, it will be low when you fill that quantity.
          A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
            yes there is but if you must know. honda says 1.8 quarts. i use 2 qts....works fine
            that's with a completely empty/dry manual tranny right?

Comment

^Yup, I've never successfully put in 2 quarts, it's always alittle under. That's even w/ the pass. side tilted up some too.

Comment

I think I managed to get 2 quarts in my tranny last time I did my clutch. I probably spilled some, though.

What do you mean by non-factory transmission?

Comment

I've heard the rumor that you can't have too much oil in a manual transmission as well. And by that I don't mean that it's impossible to fill it too full due to the physical placement of the fill hole, I mean truly that you can't have too much oil in there. I've read that you can fill the trans via the VSS hole if you remove that, allowing you to fill the trans more than you can via the fill hole.

Barring the fact that filling the transmission via the VSS is a PITA, is there any benefit to filling it more than the fill hole allows? This is pretty much moot point, as the vast, vast, vast majority of folks run theirs filled at the fill hole (or lower, hah!) and have zero issues. Does more oil help with lubrication and shifting, perhaps? I've read that on the RX-8 this is a common thing to do to help with smoother shifts, especially into fourth gear for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                    that's with a completely empty/dry manual tranny right?
                    nope just drain.jack up driver side to get the extra out and refill.one takes 2 qts everytime no spills.
                    Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                    ^Yup, I've never successfully put in 2 quarts, it's always alittle under. That's even w/ the pass. side tilted up some too.
                    Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    I think I managed to get 2 quarts in my tranny last time I did my clutch. I probably spilled some, though.

What do you mean by non-factory transmission?
                    iv done it to multiple cb7s.its what i do.tranny swaps clutch jobs even drain and fills.full 2 qts every time.

my new turbo build

Comment

I usually dump in 2 qts through the backup sensor hole and be done with it. Takes me about 15 min to drain and fill.

Be sure to remove the neg. from the battery though since its right next to the live wire going to the starter and you should be good.

Rather than trying to pour the bottle through the opening in the fender, I found this to be an easier way. It could also be because my battery is relocated that its that much easier to access it, idk.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Also... why is this in Off Topic?

Comment

Working...
                        X