Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody had trouble with a Honda "lemon"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody had trouble with a Honda "lemon"?

So the 2012 Civic LX I bought last January started to skip at various RPMs and its been to the dealer 3 times to have this issue fixed but they can't seem to get the problem figured out. It will only do it when its under a load like going up a hill but at around 4500 rpms it will kick and buck like you wouldn't believe. But here is a timeline of events.

1st visit: Went in for an oil change at 12k miles. Told them it was skipping at low speed going up a hill. They updated the ECU and that fixed the LOWER rpm skip.

In between the 1st and second visit: Noticed that when I was getting on the interstate or accelerating sorta hard going up a hill, it would skip to the point it was noticeable to my passengers in the higher rpm.

2nd visit: Went in for an oil change at 16k and told them it was skipping again but this time at a higher RPM. Left it there all day for them to figure out with no luck. Had to run up there to the dealer to get the car to act up for them. They told me it was normal and I argued that it was not. The service manager had the nerve to tell me the VTEC was cutting up. After explaining to him that either the solenoid was bad, the computer was cutting it in and out, or something was going wrong with the oil pressure, he figured out very rapidly not to talk to me like I was retarded. So I left in the car and drove it all week. Suddenly the problem gets worse during that week.

3rd visit: I finally had to tell them it was unacceptable that my car is skipping like this. I also explained as nicely as humanly possible that there was no way on gods green earth that they could convince me that there was nothing wrong with the car. NO CAR period is supposed to skip this way. So finally the mechanic gets in MY car and we go for a ride. He notices the skip the first take off out of the dealership. For some reason, they couldn't pick up this problem before then after it had been there all day. For some reason, I am the only person that can make the car skip like this. So then he decides to get another 2012 LX exactly like mine. Well what do you know....NO SKIP in that car at all. So we get back in MY car with the lap top and go up and down the road taking snap shots of the car when it was skipping. Basically the mechanic said that the engine itself is running fine but he noticed a fluctuation in rpms when it started to skip. I now have to wait to see what Honda says about the problem.

So I talked to a lemon law attorney and he is saying I have a pretty good case. I also have a good feeling the dealer won't be finding the problem anytime soon. So right now I am without my car, Honda downright refuses to give me a loaner, and the customer service at the dealer and the Honda hotline is downright terrible. I am ready to give up but I like the little bastard of a car when its running right. From what one of the employees at the dealer is telling me is that Honda is going downhill very rapidly and he has seen 3 Si's in there with either blown engines or something terribly wrong. I see K24's on Craigslist all the time with broken timing chains and other major problems. Yall think I should go ahead and hire a lawyer or will be able to get the car lemon'd out pretty easily on my own???

Also, I took my 90 CB to the dealer to have the seat belts replaced. They told me they no longer make the seat belts but are trying to find some as we speak. If they can't find my seat belts, they will go to the junkyard and find good ones. What are yalls opinion on what they have told me?

My k24 is not as smooth as it should be at some points.. Its the VTC in my case.

Lemon law is easy..
    Document everything
    Follow your state laws..
    And you will be all set.

Comment

honda is supposed to warranty seatbelts. dont think age matters. pretty sure it only covers the actual belt part though not the track or anything.
      COUPE K24

Comment

this could be way off topic:

my mom has an 07 fit sport. it had a misfire from time to time but through no check engine light. It would be a brief misfire, it would buck, and then keep going. Come to find out the coil packs went bad. Dunno if that may be your problem I could be way off base.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
          Also, I took my 90 CB to the dealer to have the seat belts replaced. They told me they no longer make the seat belts but are trying to find some as we speak. If they can't find my seat belts, they will go to the junkyard and find good ones. What are yalls opinion on what they have told me?
          That sounds truthful to me. I'd be surprised if they can't find new belts though; my dealer seemed to think new belts wouldn't be an issue, but they might not be in a matching color. I'm surprised they'd offer to pull some from a junkyard for you, considering the liability and all.

Good luck with the K24; hopefully they can find the issue for you.

Comment

Sorry mine is just an LX so R18 for me. That new K24 they come out with is a real piece of SHIT. I drove a 12 Si and did not like it at ALL. Should have dealt with not having a back seat in my CR-Z and just kept it instead of trading it for this piece of crap I have now.

But now I am going to wait and see what happens. Once this is all over I am going to find me a really fresh H22A automatic swap for my CB and just rock that bitch until I can afford a good used Lexus.

Comment

I think the first problem with your car is that it's a 2012 Civic.

Wasn't that rated the worst ever Civic, that for 2013 they completely revamped them?

I have an R18 as well. Runs smooth as butter though.

On the 8g forum, guys have all sorts of problems with these cars, but I think in the end, it's because they all drive them like race cars.
              Last edited by crazymikey; 01-22-2013, 12:09 AM.

Comment

It wasn't disliked for being poorly built. It was disliked for being terribly bland. It was one of the most unnoticeable redesigns ever, and the sportiness was all but absent. The 2013 was practically a rush makeover to salvage the brand!

If it's a lemon, it's a lemon. As ChIoVnIdCa, document everything, follow your state's laws, and you'll be fine. Lemons happen, even in the best of cars.

Comment

Ive got an 09 ex, same r18 engine. Every once in a while ill get something that feels like a misfire; it occurs rarely and randomly. I just figured i got some bad gas or something.

Comment

My mom had a 2010 civic. Before she got rid of it, it had the tranny and motor replaced, and was towed to the dealership 4 times. It would just cut off going down the road. My 08 crv has a k24 in it...and it's loud. It sound like my cb9 when the valves need adjusted. They said its normal. Beside having a short somewhere in the airbag system, that took them 3 times to fix, they finally replaced the entire system...and a bad o2 sensor...I haven't had a bit of problems out of it. I wasn't really impressed with it, with all the k24 hype, but once I dropped it in 1st on accident, and damn it pulls. So now everyone in a while, I'll kicke the od off, and shift the auto out...lol

Comment

This isnt a random misfire. It only does it at a certain rpm. But today I FINALLY got a rental car from Honda. Now im riding around in a Cube. Gonna find out tomorrow what the deal is with my car hopefully. I got bets going that they wont find it lol. And Ill be back riding old school again!!

Comment

Just to put it out there.
                        You DO realise that the Techs actually have to find the cause of the problem in order to fix it, And that the cause doesn't usually jump out and say "Here I am"?

So what if they couldn't find the problem in One day, That doesn't mean they didn't try. (And One day doesn't mean they spent the whole day on it, they also had other customers booked in that day)
                        Give them some slack.
                        Dealer or not, not everything is a simple fix.

As far as lemons go - All models have one or two, it's normal.
                        And as for the K24 timing chain issue - Thats due to lack of servicing at the required intervals.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they can fix your car, just don't expect them to do it in 24hrs ESPECIALLY if they have never seen the fault on any other car.
                        Customers always think, "Plug the tester on it, that will tell the tech what to fix" - It doesn't.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                          Customers always think, "Plug the tester on it, that will tell the tech what to fix" - It doesn't.
                          I had that

When people who know nothing about cars go " oh just hook it up to the machine and it will tell you whats wrong "

When i bought my legend the guy told me he had it " hooked up to the machine " and they told him the o2 sensors were bad

It had a CEL for the VSS that wasn't working LOL, not sure what " machine " they hooked a 1994 acura legend up to

Comment

Don't hit vtec, problem solved.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                              I had that

When people who know nothing about cars go " oh just hook it up to the machine and it will tell you whats wrong "

When i bought my legend the guy told me he had it " hooked up to the machine " and they told him the o2 sensors were bad

It had a CEL for the VSS that wasn't working LOL, not sure what " machine " they hooked a 1994 acura legend up to
                              Yea we get it on a daily Basis and it sucks, cause the customers think we're ripping them by by wanting to re-diagnose the fault properly.

It's funny though when you say, Ok we'll do what your mate said and change the O2 sensors for you, but we wont guarantee that it will fix it.
                              Then they get all upset that their mates diagnosis might not fix it

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X