Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding FWD and snow driving....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
    1. Get good snow tires

2. When you're driving in snow it's important to remember that as long as you keep the car pointed towards where you want to go; it will go there. The steering wheel will move around on you in the snow and you have to adjust to that, but dont panic when that happens, as long as you car is still moving in the right direction you'll be good. I like to keep minimal hand pressure on the wheel in the snow because of the way the steering wheel moves around, there are times when the wheel will be at a 45 degree angle yet the car will still be moving straight. Remember you're not on ice, you still have some traction. Basically think of yourself as a 3000lbs machine moving through the snow, you won't go off course unless you do something to make that happen. The car will listen to what you want it to do as long as you're not out of control.

3. Never slam the brakes. Downshift whenever possible and always anticipate when you have to brake. When you do brake slightly pump the brakes.

4. Handbrakes are fun in the snow! Learn to use the handbrake. This will allow you to feel comfortable if you do get into a sticky situation.

1. I can't rock winter tires all year round because where I live, it's seasonal....so I can invest in good winter tires and rims, but most people here just rock all seasons and do just fine, so im not sure if it's worth the extra money yet. I think i just need NEW tires.

2.I have always heard that....steer in the direction you want to go. I think I just need more practice, because holy fuck that shit was freightneing. Before I had a chance to steer it was over and I do believe my dumbass hit the brakes on at least one occasion.

3. Ya def didn't lock the brakes, but I did apply them softly which I think only made it worse.

4. See I tried using the handbrake to try to even out the brake/weight ratio so it would stop a little better but in one case, it failed miserable as I ended up doing a 180.

I guess I just need more practice!
    Always next year!! LOL

Comment

^^yeah man practice is key and I get a lot of it here..lol..but it wasnt always easy...I remember the first day my mom leant me her car after I got my license, I was sixteen and just driving to a friends house 10 minutes away. It was a blizzard outside and I came to an intersection that I thought was a threeway stop, turns out it wasnt and I ended up going head-on into a car. I tried everything to turn, but I wasnt experienced, locked the brakes and I was done..good thing I wasnt going fast

SOLD!!
      Boosted H22
      375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
        ^^yeah man practice is key and I get a lot of it here..lol..but it wasnt always easy...I remember the first day my mom leant me her car after I got my license, I was sixteen and just driving to a friends house 10 minutes away. It was a blizzard outside and I came to an intersection that I thought was a threeway stop, turns out it wasnt and I ended up going head-on into a car. I tried everything to turn, but I wasnt experienced, locked the brakes and I was done..good thing I wasnt going fast
        Damn. Ya that's crazy.

If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't have driven the other day but they had already called for snow and it didn't show so when they said the next day that there would be snow, everyone was kind of like, "ok lol".

Sure enough it snowed all night and I had to clean off my wifes car before she left for work, and I barely cleaned mine.....

then I had to get to work and I was making good time but my drive is like 50 mins, so I was driving through different conditions, mostly slush though.

I though I was going slow enough as I didn't feel the car slipping, which would tell me to slow down.

Just the fucking stops

Comment

Instead of winter tires, do you guy's think I should just buy this-

http://www.carvision.com/web/used/Su...vania/6365231/

LMAO.

I was just reading about it again, and noticed SI-Drive...

never heard of it, so I read about it on their website.

Pretty fucking cool.

That 2.5GT is really growing on me.

Comment

Your lucky you have abs... But id recommend getting some studdded tires. i have a set back home in washington.. They work like a charm. They last forever too because i only use they in the snow.
            idc what any one else says. If they are NOT studded they are NOT snow tires.
            They will make your life so much easier.
            Last edited by CB7 Coupe <3; 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

How am I luck to have ABS?

Didn't most of the cb's come with ABS?

Every car today should have ABS.

I have a 2002 Accord fyi.

That's why I don't understand why people remove ABS/PS/A/c

I guess if you want to do like high 13's etc, fine.

It's a dd....so Abs/ps/a/c stays!

I was looking at studded tires the other day. Prices weren't too bad. I also have to account for wheels though, as I don't have 4 spare wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

I was looking at studded tires the other day. Prices weren't too bad. I also have to account for wheels though, as I don't have 4 spare wheels.

What model accord do you have? The 02 DX and LX(optional) did not have ABS. My 04 civic(base) also doesnt have abs.

Also studded tires are not allowed in every state so make sure to check yours before you purchase.

Comment

I have a 02 Special Edition.

I thought every car after 1991 came with ABS lol.

Comment

I have a 02 Special Edition.

I thought every car after 1991 came with ABS lol.
                    Definitely not man.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Go to a used tire place and get 14in honda steelies.. i got mine for sooo cheap.

Power steering and ac put tremendous loads on our little engines, and rob horse power and fuel economy. Im from washington so a/c is no big deal.. but im in Arizona right now soo im dying.. I prefer the way it feels with no ps. I feel like i have more control.

Engine bay is cleaner too

the only cb7s with abs are ex's ex-r's and se's dx and lx have rear drums and no abs. I have an lx
                      Last edited by CB7 Coupe <3; 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Wow.

Well I have drums in the back but I have ABS too lol.

Comment

Not sure if this old. I'm responding from the first post.

My 4 tires was super bald, I was doing 90 on the highway, it's snowing Car is running smooth. Then I hit a new " freshly" paved section of I95 and all of a sudden, my cars starts losing control. ( this is where playing video games with a steering wheel helped). IE forza. I downshifted, and closely followed a trucks tire path.

Once I'm off the highway, I took a shortcut with lots of curves ( perfect for a little touge ). Worst idea, I was the only one, and my car started sliding again with how slow I was going. I ended up doing 40-60mph through the curves, she gripped hard. I'm not familiar with physics but what just happened there?0.o

I got 4 brand new tires now and I definetly feel the difference, when I think I'm cruising at 60 on the highway, I'm going 90 with no effort!.

Ps: no reason why I was speeding during the snow storm, I just wanted to be home.
                          Edit: I didn't have power steering during that time. My steering hand was legit almost bruised with how much I was trying to keep the steering straight. Never again.
                          Last edited by Turbo617; 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X