No announcement yet.

Dog breeds on the decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont agree with the article at all. Sure in some extreme examples this arguement can be made. But the owner is just as likely to be blamed for a dogs size(St. Bernard) as the genetics. Being overweight plays just as much a role in the shape of a dogs mid section as anything else.

So I guess what I am saying is that by picking the right pictures you can make a case like this article is suggesting. You could also argue against it just the same. To say the pictures this individual article reference represent the breed as a whole is just silly.

And that is exactly what the writer is trying to illustrate which is bullshit. I recently bought a boxer puppy and some of the pup's had extreme underbite's and others had none. All from the same mom/dad and litter though.

Now sure, generationally speaking you could select the traits and duplicate over and over and alter SOME of the puppies, but to change a breed across the board in some sort of uniform direction would take such a large organized effort that I just don't think that is the case here.

Sure, some breeders have specifically chased after certain attributes in a dog. Their dogs look similar. To say that that breeder altered the way every single puppy of that particular breed born going forward though is just nuts.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Im sure thats not all true. Like someone said above I think theyre comparing show dog lines to the old working dog lines. I have both an American Pit Bull terrier and an American Bully (classic razors edge build, not that extreme looking build) and I have seen both doing some extrordinary things such as jump over 6ft fences and climb small trees. Its all in choosing a good well-bred dog.
      Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
        Guys, I made this with the intent that we're making dogs WORSE.
        The article highlights the flaws we're introducing to them. Nothing about this is good.
        I know thats what I was agreeing with.

It's still called evolution - Controlled by nature but manipulated by us.

Evolution doesn't mean improvement, It means change.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Evolution SHOULD be improvements based on adaptations to the environment. Technically, yes... it's evolution. Tailored to human desires, though. Not for improved existence in the environment.

Although, a breed that "evolves" per the whims of human breeders is more likely to be desired. Since most dogs are domesticated, a breed that is in demand is most likely to be given a better life than an undesired breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

LOL Sorry, just had to.
            Ha! Auto correct gets me so jacked up its rediculous. Also I'm stupid. Maybe I'm pure bread.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

My wife just showed me that link the other day. Pretty crazy. Even some of the colors that breeds are coming up with now, like chocolate labs are caused from all the breeding and not an actual color. We just got this Duck face, Bat ears.

H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
                My wife just showed me that link the other day. Pretty crazy. Even some of the colors that breeds are coming up with now, like chocolate labs are caused from all the breeding and not an actual color. We just got this Duck face, Bat ears.

Breed?

We bought a boxer recently. I'll PM you a pic if interested. Hes brown brindle, duck face + elephant ears though.

Already had his tail cut in half and his thumbs cut off though which just feels funny to me given the nature of this thread

LOL
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

She is a french bulldog! finally got one, i've always wanted one.
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I have no doubt my GSD could clear an 8ft fence if he wanted to. He's as tall as me when standing on his hind legs and thin as a rail. I think diet and exercise plays a large role in what we are seeing in dogs. Many are most likely overfed and underworked/exercised.

Comment

Working...
                    X