Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a M235i...but should I wait for the 2015 Mustang GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's interesting that the world is finally doing what the Japanese have been doing since the 80s!
    Diesels are Europe's bread and butter, and they're gaining a foothold... but yeah, small displacement with boost is the trend.

We've gone through another HUGE leap in expected horsepower numbers. 15 years ago, 160hp from a V6 was considered reasonable. 220hp was acceptable V6 output for pricier cars. 280-300hp from a v8 was what you got in performance vehicles. Anything over 300hp was special.

Now, you can buy a V6 Hyundai with 350hp for well under $40,000. It's hard to find a V8 that makes less than 400hp. In fact, I'm not even sure you can buy a new V8 equipped car with under 400hp anymore (trucks maybe, but they focus on low-end power rather than peak horsepower.) Turbo 4 cylinder engines are expected to make 260-300hp right out of the box these days.

We appear to be reaching a plateau now in terms of engine output. As the owner of a 400hp car, I can say that there really is little use for all that power on public roads. I'd imagine it'd be difficult to make much use out of 300hp, honestly. Now that we've gotten practically un-usable power from damn near every commonly used engine (in the US, anyway), we're off to start making them more efficient and reliable.
    I could see 50mpg in the next decade. Then again, I also foresee a sharp rise in electric vehicles. Tesla alone has gone from making a modified Lotus to creating their own legitimate luxury vehicle that offers everything you'd get from a V8 luxury sport sedan (or more, honestly) for roughly the same price... all in less than 10 years. Once others follow in their footsteps, and technology increases due to that added participation, we're going to see EVs competing with traditional gasoline-powered vehicles left and right. The Tesla Model S is already nearly as practical in terms of range as comparable vehicles (it'd probably get more miles on a charge than my CTS-V gets to a full tank...)
    Imagine what we'll see in the next decade, as fuel cells grow smaller and lighter, charging options become more practical and abundant, and new applications are devised.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      BMW. I have my own reasons of course. It also has always seemed to be a step above the mustang, and a lot plastic interior bothers me.
      The cheap interiors have always been a turnoff for me when it came to Mustangs. Honda interiors, I feel, are a step above the competition in most cases... so being a Honda guy, I'm often disappointed.

The new Mustang is supposed to be significantly better, interior included. I'll have to see it to believe it.

Comment

I would go with the BMW. Its about as computerized as any other car nowadays IMO. My girlfriends dad is a Shop Foreman at Toyota and I damn near go into a meltdown just listnening to all the electronics he goes on about.

As far as maintenance costs, any car can be expensive. Its a matter of how well you maintain it, how much of the work you do yourself, and knowing where to buy parts. From my experience, these factors have played a huge role in determining cost. As far as longevity is concerned, that is going to rely on how well you stay up on preventative measures.

I agree with Deev and Raf completely I've compared (at least tried to) BMW's interiors to other cars but can't seem to find a model that can compare(unless its another high-end luxury). Even in similar priced models, I'd rather take the BMW. I might be biased though.

So yeah, in conclusion, BMW all the way.
        Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
        The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

Dude... BMW man, BMW !

ps. is it bad i don't even own the car and i am still thinking about boosting it.
          Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
          den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

Originally posted by tutsuo View Post
            Dude... BMW man, BMW !

ps. is it bad i don't even own the car and i am still thinking about boosting it.
            You realize that it comes boosted, right?

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
              You could def get an E90 M3 for less. I have seen them in the 30-40K range easy.

Personally, while I like the 1M, I see it as a little bit of a missed opportunity... IMO, it should have been the swan song for the naturally aspirated 6. BMW should have thrown a one off big 6 in there... like a 4.0L making 400 or so HP. BMW doesn't have any more NA cars, and I think that is going to be the case for all cars sold in Europe.

Anyways, for just outright performance, the M235i is every bit as good as the 1M. Just make sure you get the optional LSD and sport suspension (which should have been standard).

OOOoo a new video review. Watching it right now! I'm also leaning towards the Automatic....that ZF 8sp seems to shift just as fast as an Audi DSG, it even rev matches when braking. As much as I love driving my 5spd cars, this new 8sp shifts so fast that I think there is enjoyment to be had, in concentrating on driving in general.

Another car I just discovered, is the Audi TTRS. That thing sounds like a Lambo Gallardo....all with a boosted 2.5L 5 cyl. I could probably get a 12' for about the same price.

Check out how awesome this car sounds.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 04-08-2014, 02:35 AM.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I have driven some really fast DSG cars... I just can't, yet. I think a 12-13 second 6MT car is the sweet spot. Faster than that you need a DSG, but you also need a track or Johnny Cochran's ghost

I drove the 370Z 7AT which is in the same league as this. Decent tranny, rev matching, quick shifting. More power than my Z too. I was still happy to get back into my 350Z. Def test drive both... in my experience, DSGs are good for track time and racing but kinda zzzzz on the street

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

American Car manufactures are producing awd v6 suvs/cars and eco turbo cars now because the Saudi Petrol dollar is no more, America has done a deal with Mexico and well you know they don't wanna buy tooooooo much from Mexico.

I would go with the BMW
                  Last edited by 8ball; 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Mustang it really speaks for itself the new 5.0 is something else. I've seen them run an its impressive to see and they sound amazing around here we have 8th mile tracks an anything in their price range isn't a competition. A bolt on Gt with a set of radials put a zr1 to shame an ran 90+MPH. Besides the shear an well used power they handle pretty well the biggest issues I've read is the lack of braking once playing hard in bends. I've test drove a boss 302 interior wasn't bad I'm my opinion look at a dodge product if you want to see cheap an tons of plastic, from my experience in said 302 the powerplant is great it handles pretty well and they look good to me. Now the 2015 meh don't like the look to astion martin looking for a mustang i'd go for an older coyote.

Don't take opinions or reviews on such simply go drive em.
                    Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 04-08-2014, 10:30 PM.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

You really have to see those Mustangs in person though. When I was walking between garages here at Ford, I got to see an almost bullet green GT and it looked pretty fantastic.

Also, that rake for the rear tail lights isn't as bad in person as it looks in magazine photos and videos and all the lines and everything in the back flow really well. Its got that nice fastback look to it. Fit and finish is better than the last gen between panel gaps I believe.

You also don't even have to lower it, because they took care of that wheel gap issue the previous gen. had. The Shelby GT350 sounds amazing with the flat plane crank in that engine but the GT sounds nice and throaty as well.

Another cool feature that I would appreciate, with me being in AZ, is it has heated and COOLED seats. When it gets as hot as it does here, that'd be a nice feature to have.

Idk, part of me wants that Germanic quality and craftsmanship that comes with BMWs, but another part of me is intrigued in getting an all new IRS mustang that looks pretty sweet and has a lot of upmarket and improved features over the last gen.

So hard to choose between the two.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Im telling you, fuck bwm.

It's just the name.

Im sure it will be enjoyable to drive, and plenty of comfort, but it won't be half as fun as a 5.0

Go with the second feeling lol.

Especially where you live, all those winding roads.....hell yea!

Comment

Another great comparison between the M235i and the CLA 45 AMG.

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                          X