Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of many reasons to torque nuts/bolts to spec...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of many reasons to torque nuts/bolts to spec...

So what bolt used you piston as a Jump House?

Comment

Originally posted by tishock View Post
      So what bolt used you piston as a Jump House?

It's in a zero turn mower I'm fixing for a friend. He replaced the carburetor and did not torque a small bolt to spec like the instructions that came with it specifically said to do. So after a few yards it decided to ingest the bolt. He says he "torqued it" but not to spec.

Comment

You mean to tell me there not supposed to look like that?
        -Will

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhorn7 View Post
          You mean to tell me there not supposed to look like that?
          Well, it depends. Are we talking import or GM? If were talking GM and that's all that's wrong with it, I'd say its in good shape!

Comment

That'll buff out!

Comment

I figured it would.

I'm waiting for a call this morning from the machine shop on whether or not .020 over will clean the cylinder wall up. Unfortunately Briggs only makes STD and .020 for most applications.

So far its about a $200 mistake. If the block doesn't clean up then it's about a $1400 mistake.

Comment

Call Darton and see if they can make a custom sleeve. Get a custom forged piston made by Wiseco or Arias. Then boost it Screw mulching... it'll liquify the clippings!

Comment

I have an old T25 from a Z32.

I have tossed around ideas before about something similar. From Delta's website "We are able to grind everything from a 2 hp. Briggs & Stratton to a Top Fuel Dragster." I'd go all motor of course. For reliability issues.

What would I put it on?

A person could use an old Harley Davidson transmission. They were separate from the engine and use a sprocket input and output.

It wouldn't be real fast but I'm sure a person could gear it down and have a bit of fun off road with it.

Comment

Man I wish you lived closer-

I am looking at riding mowers and I have been looking at used ones, but I don't know much about working on them.

How is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                      Man I wish you lived closer-

I am looking at riding mowers and I have been looking at used ones, but I don't know much about working on them.

How is it?
                      I would totally help you too. IMO, it's fairly easy. It's a bit more tedious than working on Japanese vehicles though.

I have 13 running riding mowers and over 20 good, rebuild-able, or parts engines. If you were closer I'd sell you a real good rider at fellow Honda enthusiast discounted price.

Most riding lawn mowers have Briggs & Stratton engines. There are 4 basic types. Single cylinder flat head, Single cylinder OHV (over head valve), Twin cylinder (sometimes called a Twin II) and a twin cylinder V Twin. I listed those is order from most basic and affordable to the most advanced and highest cost.

Here are some of my mowers for a better idea. I'm embarrassed at how dusty a couple of these are. I do go out and start them up and drive them around at least once a month.

Twin cylinders (Twin II's) have horizontally opposed cylinders. Below are a few examples I can give.

-

Here is a V twin for comparison. Notice it's in a V configuration. You might not think a V twin to a regular twin or twin II is much difference. The difference is a V twin has two rods on one journal. A regular twin or twin II has two separate journals. Most people don't know that.

-

Here is a single cylinder flat head.

And here is a single cylinder OHV.

Just for shits here is a Kohler Magnum 18 opposed twin. I really like Kohlers but they do have an added cost.

Comment

It cleaned up! Glad it could be saved. Should have never happened though. Will have it back together and running in about a couple hours.

Comment

Wow, thanks dude!

Doesn't look too bad, I have done some reading online as well.

Im holding out for a sale that is basically someone who bought one and needs to dump it LOW because they're moving etc.

I have looked in my area, and there haven't been any really clean ones in my price range.

I also need a trailer to get it home. I could rent one, but I feel like I should buy one to have anyway but idk where i'd store it.

Here's my current mower. It's push. I went with a Husqvarna with a Honda motor.

Power Of Dreams by rjr.photography, on Flickr

So far, I have no complaints. Obv when I try to mow really thick or tall grass, it struggles, but for 4hp, she hasn't really let me down. Starts right up everytime!

I have a Generac 5000w Generator that has an OHV setup.

Haven't had to really use it yet, but she runs great!
                          Last edited by Ralphie; 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I don't think you will have any problems. Most Honda people don't.

The best way I can describe small engine repair is the components you are working with are simplistic. So simple that they must be near perfect to operate as desired.

I use a regular 5x8 trailer now, but I have used an ATV trailer. They will fit one mower, really light, they tilt and are relatively cheap compared to some other trailers.

Husqys are great mowers and are even better with a Honda on them. I bet it serves you well! Honda small engines are quiet, economical on fuel and have an long service life. I don't work on many Honda's. They simply don't need much.

OHV helps a ton. I don't think anyone even makes a flathead anymore. You can feel how much more power a 12.5hp OHV has over a 12.5 flathead.

The best Briggs IMO is a Twin II horizontally opposed as for everything factored in. I have personally worked one so hard year after year until it wouldn't start once it was warm and eventually one day it wouldn't hardly start anymore period. I tore it down and the bore was wore, no parts damaged, just a worn. Unfortunately they don't make Twin IIs anymore and haven't for some time. Hence my reason for hoarding them.

Comment

Next. 16hp Briggs single cylinder that broke a rod. I would show you the other half of the rod but it's pulverized. Getting the crank turned .020.

Luckily this one didn't come through the block. Doesn't happen much, but its good when it they are rebuildable.

Comment

Working...
                              X