Discrimination Through Airbnb.com...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter5-2.html

Unfortunately, not every rental is covered by the federal fair housing laws. The following types of property are exempt:

- owner-occupied buildings with four or fewer rental units

- single-family housing rented without the use of advertising or without a real estate broker, as long as the landlord owns no more than three such homes at any one time

- certain types of housing operated by religious organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to their own members, and

- with respect to age discrimination only, housing reserved exclusively for senior citizens.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/FHA

Under federal Fair Housing law, the prohibition on discriminatory advertisements applies to all situations except the following:
    - Shared Housing Exemption -- If you are advertising a shared housing unit, in which tenants will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area, you may express a preference based upon sex only.
    - Private Club and Religious Exemptions -- A religious community or private club whose membership is not restricted based upon race, color, or national origin may restrict tenancy only to its members in a property that it owns, and may advertise to that effect.
    - Housing for Older Persons Exemption -- As discussed below, certain complexes for elderly persons are exempt from prohibitions on familial status discrimination, including the prohibitions on discriminatory advertising.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Not sure why you thought this was against the law.

If I am renting a room in my house, I can specify who I want to stay there. It is my house.

Comment

Take her to court, Anthony. I'm sure you'll win.

Oh, hey, look! Someone was smart enough to actually look up the law, rather than making assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          Not sure why you thought this was against the law.

If I am renting a room in my house, I can specify who I want to stay there. It is my house.
          Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Take her to court, Anthony. I'm sure you'll win.

Oh, hey, look! Someone was smart enough to actually look up the law, rather than making assumptions!
          "Fortunately for some tenants, however, many state fair housing laws cover properties or situations that are exempt under federal law. For example, owner-occupied buildings with four or fewer rental units are exempt under federal law but are protected under California law."

I'm glad he did post those sources. If the intention was to make me look ignorant, make sure you cover all angles first. If it was to help, thanks a bunch.

This was using Mike's source. I'm not even going to pull up the rest of the information.

Thanks Mike!

[B]Fortunately for some tenants, however, many state fair housing laws cover properties or situations that are exempt under federal law. For example, owner-occupied buildings with four or fewer rental units are exempt under federal law but are protected under California law.

There are exemptions, but they aren't applicable to all situations.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...=12955-12956.2

GOVERNMENT CODE
          SECTION 12955-12956.2

12955. It shall be unlawful:
          (a) For the owner of any housing accommodation to discriminate
          against or harass any person because of the race, color, religion,
          sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation,
          marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of
          income, disability, or genetic information of that person.
          (b) For the owner of any housing accommodation to make or to cause
          to be made any written or oral inquiry concerning the
          race, color,
          religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual
          orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial
          status, disability, or genetic information of any person seeking to
          purchase, rent, or lease any housing accommodation.
          (c) For any person to make, print, or publish, or cause to be
          made, printed, or published any notice, statement, or advertisement,
          with respect to the sale or rental of a housing accommodation that
          indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on
          race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender
          expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin,
          ancestry, familial status, source of income, disability, or genetic
          information or an intention to make that preference, limitation, or
          discrimination.
          (d) For any person subject to the provisions of Section 51 of the
          Civil Code, as that section applies to housing accommodations, to
          discriminate against any person on the basis of sex, gender, gender
          identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, color, race,
          religion, ancestry, national origin, familial status, marital status,
          disability, genetic information, source of income, or on any other
          basis prohibited by that section. Selection preferences based on age,
          imposed in connection with a federally approved housing program, do
          not constitute age discrimination in housing.

...no sex exemptions listed.

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
          Also, I think this could win in the court of law simple because it's clearly stated in the FHA. I'm not going to pursue a lawsuit, I'm just saying.
          For you Mr. Deever. I never said I was planning to sue. I just was making an observation, and gaining more insight about the topic.
          Last edited by Straight Success; 08-17-2015, 03:02 PM.
          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I'm quite certain that something like airbnb won't fall under such a thing, though. It's not so much a landlord/tenant relationship, as it is a short-term room-rental situation.

In a way, it's more like selecting a roommate than anything else... and a person can reject a roommate applicant for any reason they wish. It might not be wise to specify that their reason has to do with the prospective roommate's gender, race, religion, body type, etc... but a 5'1 woman looking for a roommate could turn away an intimidating 6'4 male applicant just because his presence makes her uncomfortable, and she is 100% within her rights to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I'm quite certain that something like airbnb won't fall under such a thing, though. It's not so much a landlord/tenant relationship, as it is a short-term room-rental situation.

In a way, it's more like selecting a roommate than anything else... and a person can reject a roommate applicant for any reason they wish. It might not be wise to specify that their reason has to do with the prospective roommate's gender, race, religion, body type, etc... but a 5'1 woman looking for a roommate could turn away an intimidating 6'4 male applicant just because his presence makes her uncomfortable, and she is 100% within her rights to do so.
              That does make a lot of sense. However, I m not lawyer and I know the law is interpreted different ways; lawyers.

I read the FHA in black and white without adding any gray areas or exemptions. That's what me wonder about the situation.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

if you did manage to find a place where a lady or group of women is willing to co-ed, make sure you have a camera with audio in your room, to cover your ass incase one of them shows up- sober or drunk. attempt to sleep with you, and then call rape, etc. cameras will save your life, literally.

alot of things dont make sense in this world, could you win in a court room, possibly, but to what cost?

lets say you fought it, and won, and guys see that, they then try and co-ed a place, and one unlucky lady or group of women had the unlucky chance of renting to a very bad apple, and now their lives is/are ruined.

edit: just think of the unwritten law- to protect the girls from the bad guys. if you have a female friend or relative, ask them to vouch for you, see if any of their friends are willing to rent. thats honestly the best way

edit2: some guy took a upskirt picture of a woman, he got arrested but then released because it wasn't against the law..

there was an outrage from women for about 2-3 days. saying what if their under age daughters was wearing a skirt, etc. and next thing i know, they made a law and was in effect almost immediately. Sillyme, i was always taught in school that laws take alot of time to be made, etc.. they came out with this one very fast.

what was the point in me mentioning it? if you did win, women will fight and then that fair housing thing will be modified to accomdate them
                Last edited by Turbo617; 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM.

Comment

The funny thing is, people will attack a man for being suspicious of a woman that "might claim false rape"... yet the idea that a woman being wary of a strange man that "might rape her" is a perfectly justifiable fear.

BOTH should be equally justifiable... because both are legitimate concerns. The world is a messed up place, with messed up people. You can't be too careful!

Comment

There are some very valid points here, and these ARE things that I think about.

I guess nothing in black and white stays black and white. Somehow things can be misinterpreted or bent to cater to a specific situation or an isolated incidence.

The world is very crazy.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                    X