No announcement yet.

New EPA proposal to prohibit conversion of road cars to race cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As senseless as it may seem, that appears to be exactly what they're proposing! It's in the best interests of the automakers, and it satisfies the legal/environmental busybodies that have taken notice to the blatant disregard for safe or environmentally conscious modified vehicles.
    It doesn't have to actually solve any significant problems, and it doesn't have to prevent future problems... it only needs to grease the squeaky wheel.
    Lots of people would vote for it. Have a conversation with someone that doesn't understand why anyone would modify a car. Explain to them that to get an extra 200hp from an old Honda, you have to spend 3x the value of the vehicle, add or replace numerous parts, and still potentially sacrifice a fair amount of reliability and fuel economy. They'll think you're crazy!

You have a point about street racing increasing if tracks are forced to shut down. Street racing is enough of a problem with a fairly large distribution of tracks! They still race in Philadelphia, even though there are two decent tracks accessible to people in that area... only 1-2 hours away.

Comment

Thank you for the link af_1132
      I am glad you found that and posted us the link, as of right now we are almost half way to 200,000 signatures. I think I will keep checking back on the progress.
      I would like to see 2x to 3x the required signatures.
      Signature # 142,928
      Last edited by cb9love; 02-15-2016, 10:57 AM.
      CB7TUNER.com
      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        As senseless as it may seem, that appears to be exactly what they're proposing! It's in the best interests of the automakers, and it satisfies the legal/environmental busybodies that have taken notice to the blatant disregard for safe or environmentally conscious modified vehicles.
        It doesn't have to actually solve any significant problems, and it doesn't have to prevent future problems... it only needs to grease the squeaky wheel.
        Lots of people would vote for it. Have a conversation with someone that doesn't understand why anyone would modify a car. Explain to them that to get an extra 200hp from an old Honda, you have to spend 3x the value of the vehicle, add or replace numerous parts, and still potentially sacrifice a fair amount of reliability and fuel economy. They'll think you're crazy!

You have a point about street racing increasing if tracks are forced to shut down. Street racing is enough of a problem with a fairly large distribution of tracks! They still race in Philadelphia, even though there are two decent tracks accessible to people in that area... only 1-2 hours away.
        Some days I think of winning billions and just creating my own country, starting over Car enthusiasts welcome of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Some days I think of winning billions and just creating my own country, starting over Car enthusiasts welcome of course.
          I like that idea! Just buy a small island, and build a track around the whole thing. Living space can be in the middle, consisting of small homes sitting on top of 4-car garages.
          I hear some of the Greek islands are selling super cheap these days...

Comment

Working...
          X