No announcement yet.

gonna get a swap soon but ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm talking more about stock-for-stock performance. The K is the platform to have when it comes to mods, of course. The aftermarket is huge... probably bigger and better than it ever was even for the B series. Since the K is shared throughout many Honda models, and not just limited to the smaller Civics and such, it's a hugely popular and available platform.

But if the swap isn't going to be the start of a significant build project, I'd say the H is still far superior, IMO.

When it comes to turbo, I don't see the point of a swap at all. At least until the F22A becomes so rare and unsupported that it's no longer a practical option, anyway. The cost of a K swap alone would exceed the cost of installing decent forged internals in an F22A.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      I'm talking more about stock-for-stock performance. The K is the platform to have when it comes to mods, of course. The aftermarket is huge... probably bigger and better than it ever was even for the B series. Since the K is shared throughout many Honda models, and not just limited to the smaller Civics and such, it's a hugely popular and available platform.

But if the swap isn't going to be the start of a significant build project, I'd say the H is still far superior, IMO.

When it comes to turbo, I don't see the point of a swap at all. At least until the F22A becomes so rare and unsupported that it's no longer a practical option, anyway. The cost of a K swap alone would exceed the cost of installing decent forged internals in an F22A.
      With the price of the H going up and the prospects of the K (who is really going to have a completely stock swap), I disagree. Just assuming stock bolt ons for stock bolt ons the K wins by a comfortable end margin, and as time goes on, the economics of the K only improve while the H's get worse due to age/parts availability.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Even the K24Ws have the H's beat. They are already less than 1k for the motor, have the latest tech that Honda has to offer, and will be mass produced in HUGE quantities through Honda's lineup. All it takes is for one person to blaze a trail to get the peripheral parts at a bargain basement price and an installation that's easily reproduced and you'll have the F-series of today. They make 180 ft-lbs and about 200whp stock(edit:with bolt ons and tune), and will probably get close to 40 mpg.
        Last edited by sonikaccord; 04-11-2016, 09:09 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

True. I don't disagree with the age thing... and I suppose the H engines will be less practical as they get older.

Part of it for me is the aesthetics. I simply don't like the way the K looks in the CB.

The issue I have with installing a K is the additional cost... ECU, mounts, etc... chances are, a $1000 engine is still going to cost more in the end than a $2000 H22A.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            True. I don't disagree with the age thing... and I suppose the H engines will be less practical as they get older.

Part of it for me is the aesthetics. I simply don't like the way the K looks in the CB.

The issue I have with installing a K is the additional cost... ECU, mounts, etc... chances are, a $1000 engine is still going to cost more in the end than a $2000 H22A.
            I think parts prices have really dropped dramatically since there is now a large pool of RSX's, Si's and other K series powered cars being totaled, etc.

I don't particularly care for the idea either, but frankly, I probably wouldn't swap a car if I had it to do over. As you age you start to understand the benefit of just buying what you want.

Want an M3? Why convert a CB7 to RWD and put a J-series in it when you can just go buy a used M3? Want 400HP? Well, GM makes tons of those cars.

I'm just saying the headroom in the K series is vastly higher than an H22. As an example, take an H22, put a high end header, exhaust, intake mods, and mild cams and you are sitting at ~200WHP.

Do those same exact mods to the K series (probably with almost identical cost) and you are probably 30-50HP higher. A well tuned K20 can get to nearly 250WHP with a decent set of cams, bolt-ons and a good tune. At this point, 220 is relatively common with basic stuff. They also leverage that power over a broader range (cam phasing + higher redline) and produce pretty similar torque. It's just a better engine.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

hes just trolling you guys, notice that there's no follow up
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

From Sparkle, you never know... this isn't exactly out of character for him as a legit question...

Comment

Actually this was awhiles back but im not in a cb7 no they are actually quite a difficult ways to find in good condition anyway. Im talking about a gsr swap in a eg hatch. Alot of people are just doin frankenstein swaps.

Comment

Then why didn't you say that, doofus?

Comment

If I ever get a hatch of that gen, it's getting an F22A.

Civic hatchbacks, to me, each have their own personality, and there are certain engines that I feel belong in each one.

"EF"/CRX - B16
                      "EG" - F22, maybe B16
                      "EK" - K20
                      "EP" - K24

I couldn't tell you why...
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-22-2016, 10:37 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I see the only thing that's changed around here is Deev's post count

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Eric!!
                          These days, most of my posts are in OT. I wonder how many I actually have. I'm a little afraid to try to find out, as I may break the software!

Comment

Working...
                          X