Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for those that drive a stick shift/manual/standard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question for those that drive a stick shift/manual/standard...

Hey, any standard drivers here that use Heel-Toe..? I have seen that alot on best motoring and Initial D...? How do you do it? I tried in a nissan truck the other day, and all I did was grind the gears... Is there only certian condition that you do it in? Like High rev, high speed, cornering...? How does it work?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

I mostly use heel-toe for rev matching. I can do it in my 240, but my feet won't turn the right way to do it in my Accord.
    -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
      I mostly use heel-toe for rev matching. I can do it in my 240, but my feet won't turn the right way to do it in my Accord.
      rev matching..?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

Yea, heel-toe is good for rev matching. Rev matching is when you rev your motor while in neutral when you're downshifting. This puts less strain on your tranny. Hmmmm.....I'm trying to think of a way to explain this in simple terms.

Ok, if you're in 4th gear and you downshift into 3rd, when it goes into 3rd gear the revs will go up to maybe 4500 rpm (just for example). Knowing where the revs will be when you go into 3rd gear, you can rev match next time you downshift into 3rd. So, when you take it out of 4th gear, you are in neutral and the revs will fall. Before you put it into 3rd, you rev the motor to around 4500 rpm and then you put your car in 3rd.

Kind of confusing, but it makes a lot more sense when you do it for real.
        "I'm out for presidents to represent me"

Comment

when your downshifting, you want to match the RPM's that your at when the clutch is in to what they would be when you take the clutch out in a lower gear. heres.an example . . . your in 3rd gear going 35, but you dont feel like your in the powerband (cuz your not . . . 35 is like 2500ish RPMs) so you downshift to 2nd gear, you would need to tap the gas and rev to about 3500 RPMs and the transition would be smoother than just dropping the clutch. it also makes your car faster around the track (if you race auto-x or road races) because your hitting the RPM right as the clutch comes out, and not gradually . . . its kinda like the reverse of engine braking
          EDIT: wow, you posted almost the same thing i wrote . . . like one minute before me . . . haha
          -Mark-
          CB7
          CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
          Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

yeah it can come in handy if you want to rev match a downshift while driving hard, and you want to rev match the downshift AND braking at the same time. I cant do it, very little room, so instead im braking, rev match the downshift then back on the brakes.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Thats another question i had, when Tsuchiya was talking about drifting, he was saying something about the power/torque band...? What is that?

and let me try to understand, so if your going like 4500rpm and brake, you rev the engine while braking to about 4500 and shift down?

Comment

i think what he was referring to there is the clutch kick. if your going fast in a RWD car, and you drop the clutch at high RPM the rear will kick out and you will start to drift . . . my friend with a 240 has done it once or twice, and hes basically stock.
                -Mark-
                CB7
                CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

very very interesting guys...

Comment

This is a great thread, I always wondered what exactly rev-matching was. I had an idea, but never utilized it. I plan to do so this weekend, to see exactly how my car will perform. Thanks guys!

Holy FF d0rift0! Lol j/k I doubt I'll ever try something like FF drift.
                    '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
                    -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                    -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                    -'93 AGP EX 4AT
                    10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Originally posted by br0nx finest
                      its damn near impossible... best to try when its wet outside so that you don't destroy your tires...

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                        its damn near impossible... best to try when its wet outside so that you don't destroy your tires...
                        I honestly wouldn't do something *** like that, but I have drifted Chevy Savanah 1500s (Cargo van used by Uhaul) and you can ask 91ACCORDSIR about this. We even had it on video, but he lost his camera phone (loser).

It was extremely crazy, but I'd go 30 down to a corner, engage the kick e-brake and let that bitch slide through, then pull the disengagement for the e-brake and hammer the gas and be gone! I drifted into the parking lot before and did a complete 180 before as well. He can vouch for this!
                        '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
                        -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                        -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                        -'93 AGP EX 4AT
                        10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                          Hell, I find it hard to do even in the snow.
                          -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by br0nx finest

Wait till its -30c outside with hard snow and a empty street.

floor it half way, turn wheel and handbrake= FF drift in the snow

but watch out for tickets

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

ok so you all explained revmatching very well... but this is what the heel-toe actually is

Originally posted by starchland
                              and you want to rev match the downshift AND braking at the same time. I cant do it, very little room, so instead im braking, rev match the downshift then back on the brakes.
                              its because your heel is on one pedal, toes on the other, so you can brake and revmatch and be faster through the corners
                              HSHO #3

Comment

Working...
                              X