Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for those that drive a stick shift/manual/standard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all this "rev-matching" you guys are talking about is just how I have always naturally driven a 5 speed, it just feels right going into gear at the right rpm instead of jerking...

Comment

i drive like that sometimes too, but i drop it into second gear alot and just let the clutch out . . . to help with braking . . . yea, i do it even when i know i dont need to
      -Mark-
      CB7
      CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
      Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

ooooook... um... so, er im still kinda unclear on the whole "heel toe" thing... Can you do it at low speeds too?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
        Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
        NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Heel-toe shifting isn't necessary in normal driving but I'll try and explain it as I know it anyway:

You're braking into a turn and downshifting, but you only have 2 feet...what do you do? Left foot on the clutch, right toes on the brake, and then you blip the throttle with your right heel...downshift, engage (let out) the clutch...you've heel-toed. I don't think the pedals in our car allow it, plus it's not that big of a deal anyway, and with our shitty brakes it's prob. better to take advantage of engine braking. Just my .02.

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7
            ooooook... um... so, er im still kinda unclear on the whole "heel toe" thing... Can you do it at low speeds too?

Basically, heel toe is mainly used for braking while cornering. You have your right heel on the brakes and the your toes on the gas. What this does is as follows, it will let you slow your car down before entering the turn, (heel on the brake pedal) and let you rev-match your engine to transmission (toes on the gas pedal). Causing a smooth, quick, non-jerking like turn, aswell as saving the life of transmission parts. Always remeber in the world of manual trannies, smoother is always better.

My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
              Heel-toe shifting isn't necessary in normal driving but I'll try and explain it as I know it anyway:

You're braking into a turn and downshifting, but you only have 2 feet...what do you do? Left foot on the clutch, right toes on the brake, and then you blip the throttle with your right heel...downshift, engage (let out) the clutch...you've heel-toed. I don't think the pedals in our car allow it, plus it's not that big of a deal anyway, and with our shitty brakes it's prob. better to take advantage of engine braking. Just my .02.
              damn, beat me to it... it's true, heel-toe isn't necessary in everyday driving it's mainly used in racing.. When I come into a turn, I slow down, then I downshift ( but I always rev match, i hate the jerking feeling of just dropping the clutch.)

My Ride

Comment

i have an auto CB, but i wanted to try it in my Z..., and i thought it was the heel on the gas...?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

look at this guys...

http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/driving/1.html

:Back In Business...

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7
                    i have an auto CB, but i wanted to try it in my Z..., and i thought it was the heel on the gas...?

i tried it like that, but for me i found it easier turning my foot in the other direction.. I guess thats just me.. I do catch the gas pedal really high up though..

My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by RyderzUnlimited
                      awesome find!!

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordf20a
                        i tried it like that, but for me i found it easier turning my foot in the other direction.. I guess thats just me.. I do catch the gas pedal really high up though..
                        different, but cool!

Comment

Working...
                        X