Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much money have you SAVED by DIYing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much money have you SAVED by DIYing???

I was just thinking about this last week...I had to replace a broken lug nut, and I was like 'eh its friggin cold lemme see how much I can get this done for'...LMAO @ what people were charging!!! To just take of the caliper/bracket, hammer out a bolt and put/pull another bolt in places were looking to get me for $50-$100!!!! One guy told me they would have to remove the rotor and everything. LMAO!!!!!

Beyond that I've changed my shocks, pads, radiator, and my stereo is a perpetual 'work in progress'...that stuff alone is worth at least $750 in labor. The only stuff I won't do (esp. now) is stuff like tranny work/engine swapping/body work. I can basically do everything else...

I know cpmike just did an H22 swap like it was child's play...what work have you done lately? And how much would it have cost a shop to do???

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

i did everything but the body work on my car..i must have saved well over $3000.

turbo install
    breaks
    suspension install
    short shifter
    completely replaced the front knuckle when my wheel fell off. including all 4 studs.
    and of course all kinds of general maintence.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

I did the whole stereo install myself on my CB. 2 amps, 2 10" PUNCHes(those fuckers are heavy as hell! I had to use my computer chair to roll them out to the car!) the deck(i broke one dashtrim but all in the process of learning ) and the midrange speakers. not bad considdering i was 15

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
      Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
      NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

close to probably $5000 i've saved now
        turbo install
        head gasket/timing belt replacement
        all my bolt-ons
        dropped the tranny like 3 times now.
        general maintenance
        suspension install

the only things i've ever really taken the car to the shop for were like some amp wiring and an alignment.
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Probably like 40 dollars in oil changes... YES!
          Magnaflow exhaust for cb7's for sale

Comment

The installation of everything on my car...I mean everything...so thats narrowing 10gs...or more.

Comment

Im wit acclipseH23, ive done everything myself when it came to this car

body work
              complete engine rebuild
              supsension set up
              breaks & rotors
              turbo install
              routine maintenance
              basically anything you see on my car was done by me my car has yet to see a shop and i would like to keep it that way.

Comment

like 200 dollars in oil savings and general maintence

Comment

well general maintenance from VC gasket to fuel filter to numerous oil changes - thats a couple hundred

my brakes and soon to be 5-lug upgrade, that's a few undred more

did my tie rods and am about to do control arms, bushings, etc...

Oh. And my new clutch flywheel, and the F22b swap - which im sure saved me a grand or so to DIY

everything i do, i do myself - and if it ever HAD to go in i'd alrady know the problem, so that would help save me $ right there - so they have no excuse to say "duhhh well we looked for it, and that took 10 hours right there...."

I think the DIY is a win-win if you have the means, yeah it saves money, plus you learn a HELL of a lot about your car - so if in a dire case you ever needed to take her in you can rest assured no one could pull a one over on ya and gouge for pricing on shop labor

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

i did everything myself. you name it i did it.
                    paint job (damn this wouldve cost me a arm and a leg, 2 tone shit)
                    mounting those tires on 18s 215/35r18
                    molding
                    shaving
                    motor swap (took one day)
                    suspension, will never do those bushing kit again, but you never know
                    interior
                    lets can go on.
                    but the only thing that i didnt do was the alignment, my car is to low for the alignment rack so i send it out.

Comment

i think the only thing i put my car int he shop for was a paintjob and an alignment...otherwise i saved at least 200-300 for the clutch job that i did by myself.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I don't know about saving from DIYs but mrhonda has saved me a bundle over dealer shop prices (2 timing belts and an auto tranny for my 93 Accord, timing belt and full servicing of a 95 Civic, and timing belt and full service for a 00 Odyssey).
                        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

could've bought a new car at least 2 times over....
                          My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Suspension
                            Window regulators
                            Speakers
                            Headlights
                            Grills
                            Detailing (at $100 a pop professionally, I say that's an important job!)
                            Stereo
                            Occasional oil change... I'm lazy and often pay
                            So, for that... I dunno... a couple hundred, if I were to get the audio crap done at Best Buy...

Soon to be:
                            Nitrous kit
                            Turbo
                            Clutch and flywheel
                            sidemarkers
                            2 spoilers
                            custom stealth exhaust setup
                            This stuff would be more expensive in a shop...

Comment

LOL yea oddly enough the only thing I don't do is oil changes...I don't think my car can make it up a ramp and I just don't trust the jackstands to save my life, even though I've had my car up on them for hours at a time. It's different when you're staring 2,900# of metal in the oilpan...

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X