This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"VTEC fast" is very different from "regular fast"

I went for a spin in h22sparkle's Type-S'd up CB today...it was totally different from the usual fast I'm used to. Like, it almost felt like my car, but with some more torque, stretched all the way to 8000rpms. Not to say it was slow, just different from say, my old Maxima...about the same power, but totally different deliveries. Interesting.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

I've never been in a car with vtec so I have no idea
    Last edited by Stealthman80; 04-04-2006, 10:50 PM.

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
      I went for a spin in h22sparkle's Type-S'd up CB today...it was totally different from the usual fast I'm used to. Like, it almost felt like my car, but with some more torque, stretched all the way to 8000rpms. Not to say it was slow, just different from say, my old Maxima...about the same power, but totally different deliveries. Interesting.
      It is interesting... in your max, you most likely had a much broader torque curve that started much earlier and harder than any stock variant of the H22A, then fell off before the H22A makes its most power... this explains the difference in feel but the observation of relatively similar overall power.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
        I've never been ina car with vtech so I have no idea

me neither, I've never bought a cordless phone

Comment

i rode in it yesterday....i thought it was fast as fook..like my expectations were much lower before riding in it...cuz of the few bugs he was having..but i mean i only got to experience 1-2nd gear...shit was hella fast...his handling is top notch no doubt,...but ionno what you mean by diff deliveries or w/e..mind explaining?

Comment

and..ROFLJDHBGUJRBGUIRBUGREBUIBE @ doc ciph's sig hahahahaha

Comment

Its got mad VTAK engagement yo!!! Sounds like his cars running good. Id like to see some vids of his car runnin with the motor it would be nice.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                It is interesting... in your max, you most likely had a much broader torque curve that started much earlier and harder than any stock variant of the H22A, then fell off before the H22A makes its most power... this explains the difference in feel but the observation of relatively similar overall power.
                Nah, I'd say the H22's torque curve was broad compared to the Max...the Max torque curve peaked crazily around 4k and quickly died off...the H just had a straight constant pull up to redline. But yea, in the end they both get to whatever speeds at the same rate, so it all adds up to the same thing.

Interestingly enough, the 4th gen Max's curb weight is only about 3000#...which is about what my car (a 93 EX) would weigh with an H... It was definitely interesting though. A very different kind of fast.

*EDIT* Mike hooked up a VTEC light...it was hilarious. It's very audible when it engages anyway though...
                Last edited by gloryaccordy; 04-04-2006, 10:59 PM.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I've been in a 05 RSX type S with Intake and exhaust.

Can you compare the two cars?
                  Like how fast it felt?

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                    Nah, I'd say the H22's torque curve was broad compared to the Max...the Max torque curve peaked crazily around 4k and quickly died off...the H just had a straight constant pull up to redline. But yea, in the end they both get to whatever speeds at the same rate, so it all adds up to the same thing.

Interestingly enough, the 4th gen Max's curb weight is only about 3000#...which is about what my car (a 93 EX) would weigh with an H... It was definitely interesting though. A very different kind of fast.
                    It may feel like it, but really concentrate and don't get distracted by the fact that it has VTEC, how it sounds, or any of that.... try limiting yourself to 6000rpm with the H22 and see how much pull is missing. If the H22 had a linear torque curve that started nice and early, H22 cars would be fucking insane, not just quick.

Comment

i adore the feeling of the h22... youre right, its not a straight torquey power curve, it doesnt feel hugely different from an f22 till 5k, like you said... but once vtec cracks, as ricey as it may sound saying this, the car just... takes off. 5k and up, its just a stronger and stronger pull, thats why everybody loves trying to get them to rev higher. in my opinion, non-economy vtec is definately not overrated like some ppl say it is.

i like it like this so if you shift between 3k-5k, the car feels normal and blends into traffic as a normal car, but when you want to get on it and let it rev till redline, it certainly responds...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

cpmike your sig is hilarious...

But yea...we did about 3 3rd gear runs, and after CHIRPING INTO 3RD I watched the tach intensely, but could feel no discernable difference from 5k to 8k. It kind of died off like at the fuel cut, but it was nothing like the F. It was really cool though...especially hearing the noise change. It WAILED louder than the S2000 I drove...

Comment

the prelude VTEC engines are notorious for late vtec engagement so you'll hear it.....

if the power falls off a touch before vtec engages then it feels faster......there is about a .1-.3 difference in 1/4 mile times if you set it properly and lean it out a bit....they intentionally set it late so that when test driven, you'd 100% feel the crossover and that slight loss of power at around 5000rpm makes the vtec pull seem incredible

when set properly, you can't feel the crossover and the pull is linear, and that's faster

Comment

I think Mike's engaged at 5.5k...the only difference really came in the sound; it was smooth as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
                              I've never been in a car with vtec so I have no idea
                              Gosh, this is too bad. Trust me, after one does experience the V-TEC.....you'll find yourself longing for more. LOL! My bud has an SH Prelude, and I am still temped to play a joke and swap our motors when he's out of town....
                              1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X