network anomaly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network anomaly

Here's the situation, I've got a machine with a gig integrated network card. I pulled data from another machine and ran at about 50MB/s - good speed. I modified the files and now I'm sending it back to the other machine. As soon as I start the transfer my NIC throws a ! symbol.

I troubleshoot the network connection and get "the default gateway is not available.... fixed"

But otherwise, I can use the machine just fine. I uninstalled the NIC driver and reinstalled it. I swapped ethernet ports on the router - all with the same issue.

I can pull data from another computer to this one but not vise versa. I can also download data from the internet (10gb so far).

Any suggestions?
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Is it on a "work group" or "home group"? try un-joining and rejoining on either end.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemic View Post
      Here's the situation, I've got a machine with a gig integrated network card. I pulled data from another machine and ran at about 50MB/s - good speed. I modified the files and now I'm sending it back to the other machine. As soon as I start the transfer my NIC throws a ! symbol.

I troubleshoot the network connection and get "the default gateway is not available.... fixed"

But otherwise, I can use the machine just fine. I uninstalled the NIC driver and reinstalled it. I swapped ethernet ports on the router - all with the same issue.

I can pull data from another computer to this one but not vise versa. I can also download data from the internet (10gb so far).

Any suggestions?
      Hey Pandemic, I'm pretty sure you know PCs, so I'll spare the simple steps here. Reasons I've seen this caused:

- Bad NIC driver which cannot determine auto-negotiation. Try setting the NIC to 100MBps FULL and see if the problem is there.
      - Homegroup set to Public on the problem machine. This causes the firewall to block incoming connections and act kind of weird. This is one to check as incoming connections are subject to firewall rues where outgoing are not.
      - Problem PC has too much traffic already. Try safe mode with networking to rule out any ghost application interference.

Most likely in the end its going to be a bad NIC driver, or that version of driver. If the problem persists in safe mode w/ networking then its hardware/driver related. If safe mode w/ networking works then you have a application / firewall issue on that PC (probably firewall related).

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Reasons I've seen this caused:

- Bad NIC driver which cannot determine auto-negotiation. Try setting the NIC to 100MBps FULL and see if the problem is there.

- Homegroup set to Public on the problem machine. This causes the firewall to block incoming connections and act kind of weird. This is one to check as incoming connections are subject to firewall rues where outgoing are not.

Most likely in the end its going to be a bad NIC driver, or that version of driver. If the problem persists in safe mode w/ networking then its hardware/driver related. If safe mode w/ networking works then you have a application / firewall issue on that PC (probably firewall related).

This is more or less what I would've said too.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I've given all wired machines static IP's

Machines we're working with:
          laptop
          media
          desktop

I uninstalled drivers for the NIC on the desktop (problem machine)
          -same issue

desktop can download files from media machine fine (50MB/s)

desktop can download/upload to NAS drive fine (9MB/s probably due to poor cable)

desktop can not upload to media machine without having the NIC fail and all network activity going offline

laptop can download/upload to media machine fine.

My Car

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemic View Post
            I've given all wired machines static IP's

Machines we're working with:
            laptop
            media
            desktop

I uninstalled drivers for the NIC on the desktop (problem machine)
            -same issue

desktop can download files from media machine fine (50MB/s)

desktop can download/upload to NAS drive fine (9MB/s probably due to poor cable)

desktop can not upload to media machine without having the NIC fail and all network activity going offline

laptop can download/upload to media machine fine.

I see you have posted at TomsHardware as well, if some one knew, my guess would be that there is some one at that site that could give you some insight.

Another thought, maybe the NIC card in your desktop does not like communicating with your "media server" have you tried a different card in your desktop? That'd be the first thing I would do.

Comment

Make sure you are also using the same cable standard too. This sounds strange but I have had this happen to me in the past as well. Of course checking for the mentioned above, but that is something else I would also check. You should be using 568B (most common over the 568A of course)
              The CB7 Collector.
              Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
              92 LX Coupe F22A1
              2013 Toyota Corolla S
              92 EX Sedan F22A1
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                This is more or less what I would've said too.
                Sure sure oldielocks

More than likely it's your firewall. Had the same problem once. Turned my firewall off and it worked just fine
                visit vgruk

Comment

Doubt he's still monitoring this thread for answers 2 months later guys...

Comment

^^^^^^^^^this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ββ:-P
                    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

course I am.

It's not a firewall. I am, however, going to try a different router to see what happens.
                      My Car

Comment

I've had the same problem in the past. I did all the above mentioned steps to no avail...

after some research found out that the Comcast router i was using had some bugs. I replaced it with a different router, and problem solved.

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

Pfsense!!!! Problem solved!!!
                          The CB7 Collector.
                          Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                          92 LX Coupe F22A1
                          2013 Toyota Corolla S
                          92 EX Sedan F22A1
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Working...
                          X