Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one!!??

Hey all,
    I am doing my summer job and trieng to put into prospective how much I should save up for one of the cars I am deciding on. 3 choices, could get the Cb7(also which is the one I am most knowledgable on Thanks to you guys!)
    could get an E34 I believe 5 series 87-94 are the years I believe, I think that would be a lot of fun to drive going to get the 5 speed version(I dont know the power ratings). and last but not least the Nissan 240 sx(S13 models). Keep in mindthis thing has to last me about 4 years because I'll be going to post secondary school and it has to be quite reliable, I guess I can be doing basic maintenance, going to invest a haynes (sp? im feeling real stupid right now...listening to cam'ron "fruity tootey") manual. anyway just want to see your guys input. I'm kind of leaning towards the BMW because that one I doubt I would be touching the engine. Mostly cosmetic and interior oriented. Anyway gimme some input you guys are like my second family
    87-94- BMW 5 series
    11.76%
    92,93 CB7 honda accord
    61.76%
    S13 Nissan 240sx(maybe 4 cyl version)
    26.47%

Well, you say with the BMW, you would not be touching the engine... the only way that would happen is if the mechanic does it for ya. An older BMW would be quite a money pit IMO. Hard to find parts, $$$ parts. Yeah, they are a nice car, but I dont think I would want one unless I really had quite a bit extra saved for parts and maintenance. It aint cheap like the Honda.

240 or honda.. you chose. Both can be swapped easily (240 having a cheaper swap), but 240s are inflated in value due to drifting, and you probably wont find one cheap and not beaten on unless you are pretty lucky.

I would put the money towards a honda so you dont HAVE to work on it while at school as much as any of the others.

Comment

^^Thats true, but as the 240 concerns I live in canada and the drifting craze isn't really here. I could get a pretty nice mint one for about lets say 1500 USD just a ball park figure. I've looked on the local autotrader and thats what im seeing. o.k the 5's are money pits, would anybody know how often they break down and what they are known for. Also could also throw in a e36 into the mix maybe if its a bit better the the 5

Comment

Originally posted by Makaveli2k
        ^^Thats true, but as the 240 concerns I live in canada and the drifting craze isn't really here. I could get a pretty nice mint one for about lets say 1500 USD just a ball park figure. I've looked on the local autotrader and thats what im seeing. o.k the 5's are money pits, would anybody know how often they break down and what they are known for. Also could also throw in a e36 into the mix maybe if its a bit better the the 5
        Well, anything european is gonna hit the wallet hard for maintenance (bmw, audi, vw etc). Its not that they are totally unreliable, its that the parts cost so much for the basic things that will go wrong.

Comment

The Honda is probably going to be the cheapest and most reliable. BMWs are money pits.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

go for the nissan, get an sr20 engine and your good to go

Comment

i think you should buy a plane ticket, come to minnesota, buy me dinner, then purchase my atv from me for 1400 dollars. i need it GONE.

Comment

Would you consider a BMW 3 series? (E30) They are great cars! They handle great and get damn good gas mileage. I'm considering one for daily. They also have that old school luxury factor-I'm partial to it. Be nice to find an M3 version.

Out of the choices, I'd take the Beemer
                Past rides:
                -1989 Honda Accord LX-first love, sold
                -2000 Honda Prelude base-traded for the S

Present rides:
                -1993 Honda Accord wagon LX-still going!
                -2002 Honda S2000-white w/ red int.-No words to describe this little 4 banger!

Comment

there was a non-4cyl 240sx?
                  -Mark-
                  CB7
                  CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                  Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                    there was a non-4cyl 240sx?
                    No, I have no idea why he put that...prolly confused it with the 240Z that came with the L20 straight six from back in the day...2 different cars tho.

Comment

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...5&adid=5186843

I kind of thought something was up but there it was.

Comment

^^ No pics of the engine and I called the dude and he told me it was sold, Looks like the CB7 is taking hte lead but the BMW is still itching at me. especially the E34 M5 oooh that thing is pure sex 116 PERCENT INTERCOURSE i tell ya.

Comment

I had a friend who's sister constantly replace parts on her older modle BMW. BEWARE, this is not the only circumstance I have herad of. Cb7 was my vote!

Comment

Hey guys. Yes the BMW should be nice and pricey for basic maintenance stuff. I am a Honda AND Nissan freak- I've got 2 89-90 240sx's and a 92 CB7 EX, 93 VTEC Prelude, and 89 CRX. I got back into Honda's after I went to 240s when my GF Totaled my DC integra . I bought the 240 for $1100 Dollars, the Accord for $1800. Both of them have been very reliable, only needing things like shocks, which is to be expected for cars in the 180-200k mi. range. While they're really reliable, I'm always messing with the Hondas- it's too easy not to . Hands down my old-ass 240 takes insane abuse and just keeps on going. I call it my most reliable vehicle. You don't have to do anything to them and they just keep going. I don't know what the originator of this thread is going for. If you want something stock, it's a toss-up from my standpoint. My 240sx handles like it's on rails - the FWDs....not so much, even the Prelude will never reach that level of handling- and they both have full suspension including Polyurethane full bushing kits. You would have to put at least an H23 in an Accord to keep up with a stock 240 (Which I'm doing to mine right now ) . If you're looking for something to get you around reliably while you reach for high-performance, both hold 2.2l+ motors that can be turbo'd, but the 240sx is, IN MY OPINION, more of a true sports car, and RWD makes it a lot more fun to toss around. They're both great cars, that's why I picked them both, good luck with your ride!

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                            After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                            Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                            PM me and get it done right!

Comment

As you mention from your post you spoke about the knowledge you have acquired from the website. You know the cb7's are pretty cheap and reliable plus if you ever need help im sure there is some one here who will be able to help you and give good advice.
                              accordtypeR aka Seve aka The Godfather.

My Old Baby
                              ....................My New Baby
                              SOLD TO
                              ..grumpy93, iceplaya123, slr_theking, tn_accords

Comment

Working...
                              X