owequitit: 1973 Datsun PL620

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

owequitit: 1973 Datsun PL620

Well, here is my new toy/project/DD. I picked it up for $300. I have wanted one of these for about 23 years now, so when I found this, in the condition it is in for the price, I couldn't pass it up. Plus, the Accord is getting to the point where I am not going to want to DD it, so I figured I would DD this until the Accord is done, and then work on it. It will give me a good chance to start with some minor bodywork etc, and it is old, so it is simple, easy to work on, and parts are cheap.

The bad:

The paint (obviously)

The body. Overall it is REALLY straight. There are a couple of minor dents here and there, but it is completely rust free, and everything is in overall great shape metal wise. The worst part is the front of the driver's door where it appears it has overtravelled and messed up the front. All of the glass is good except for the passenger window, which is apparently MIA.

The interior. Well, I found some stuff tucked away (like the cluster, ignition switch, and some of the plastic) so it is better than I expected. But, that isn't saying much. The good is that the basics are there, the wiring is intact, and there is NO rust on the floor. The brown in the dirt is some very minor surface rust and dirt.

The mechanical:

The owners said it ran and drove when they parked it. They bought it for their son, who later decided he wanted a Mustang, so they parked it, and used it for parts for the other 620 they have. They pretty much seem to have just taken the starter.

The engine is all there, but a freeze plug popped. I don't know if it is still the L16, as they replaced it not too long ago. I am sort of hoping they put an L20 in there since they are probably more plentiful, but if not, oh well. I didn't buy it for its speed anyway. Tomorrow will be spent covering the basics to see if we can get it to start or not. Here's to hoping. Even if it doesn't run well.

The Future:

I have a general plan for this truck. I haven't finallized all of the details yet, but I think I am going to incorporate a degree of California custom style, minitrucking and my hot rod background. It will be a fun project I think.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

nice man, sr20det? hehe
    So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

Originally posted by nghtrydr23
      nice man, sr20det? hehe

Nope. I like it old, carbureted and SOHC.

Comment

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
        Honda Accord Euro-R
        Honda Odyssey Absolute
        Honda City I-DSi
        Honda Stream

Comment

i was watchin pinks the other day..*** show...sick cars

i saw a "hot-rod" truck..man..i wanna make one for my next project

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
            Nope. I like it old, carbureted and SOHC.
            That is no fun. A KA24 (or whatever it is out of the '90s Nissan trucks) with a turbo would be cool.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I saw a thread reveiling this project yesterday, still hasn't settled with me that you and this truck have a "thing" going. I would have never thought.

Then again, how many would think or know that I will replace my red Accord when it takes a crap with a Honda Ridgeline truck and that I know a lot about trucks, especially axles and differentials, 4-wheel drive systems, etc.

I guess it is another side of us people don't know about.

I still wonder if we're brothers...you got a truck project and I'll have one in the not so distant future. I'm still keeping the frost white Accord for spring/summer driving fun!
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

If you plan on using it for a truck function in the future, make sure your powertrain and drivetrain backs up the use you intend is all I can recommend, whether it is original to the truck or not, because in the end that is what matters or you will just be busting parts/wasting money.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Nice find. GL on the work...
                  RETIRED...

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                    That is no fun. A KA24 (or whatever it is out of the '90s Nissan trucks) with a turbo would be cool.

It's plenty fun. I want an old school cruiser. Besides, when fully built, the L series is no slouch. No slouch at all. They are cast iron = strong, and it is basically the Nissan 240-280Z motor with cylinders chopped off.

The Nissan Hardbody had the KA24E which was also SOHC.
                    Last edited by owequitit; 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DhN
                      i was watchin pinks the other day..*** show...sick cars

i saw a "hot-rod" truck..man..i wanna make one for my next project

good luck
                      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                        I saw a thread reveiling this project yesterday, still hasn't settled with me that you and this truck have a "thing" going. I would have never thought.

Then again, how many would think or know that I will replace my red Accord when it takes a crap with a Honda Ridgeline truck and that I know a lot about trucks, especially axles and differentials, 4-wheel drive systems, etc.

I guess it is another side of us people don't know about.

I still wonder if we're brothers...you got a truck project and I'll have one in the not so distant future. I'm still keeping the frost white Accord for spring/summer driving fun!

LOL! It is a possibility. I could use a little truck from time to time, and they are efficient and cheap and rare. Right up my alley. Like I said though, I have wanted one for a long long time. Luckily, I got it when I did, because there was another local guy who wanted to turn it into a dirt track truck, and it is just too clean for that. Even though it doesn't look like it in the pictures. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                          If you plan on using it for a truck function in the future, make sure your powertrain and drivetrain backs up the use you intend is all I can recommend, whether it is original to the truck or not, because in the end that is what matters or you will just be busting parts/wasting money.

I don't think that will be a problem LOL!

It has a cast iron engine with a whopping 96HP. It has what basically amounts to a Ford 9" rear end stock, and it has a 6 lug wheel setup. These things were so overbuilt, it isn't funny. It is 2WD so I won't be offroading, and it is too small to really tow anything, so mostly, I may have occasional use of the bed.

Comment

Sweet. Ive got a cheap ca18det here if you want it

Comment

Oh wow thats awesome, perfect project old skool datsun.

Looks like she isn't too bad, just some tlc and some customization and she should be ready to go.

Props on keeping it simple i.e. SOHC.

Comment

Working...
                              X