Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

$60 coilovers off craiglist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
    that's where your assumption is flawed, they dont...ground controls come with a spring rate of around 350lb, and you can customize it to any spring rate.

these e*** coilovers, all coil bind when lowered, not stiff at all. they dont aid in any performance whatsoever.

i love ppl who defend ebay generic products with the mantra "it's just the same..."

looks the same....

lets put up a ebay turbo vs. a garret or turbonetics...lets see whose fins in the turbo shoot out first.
    Chill out. If you look at my setup you'll see I don't cheap out and I never would buy ebay springs. Like I said, it was for the sake of argument to give more details to people about WHY these things are bad.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

He wasn't really attacking you... just going with that thought. There are far too many people out there that don't understand the difference between quality and cheap crap.

This forum is full of them. When you get your car for $500, spending $700 to PROPERLY and SAFELY lower your car seems outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        He wasn't really attacking you... just going with that thought. There are far too many people out there that don't understand the difference between quality and cheap crap.

This forum is full of them. When you get your car for $500, spending $700 to PROPERLY and SAFELY lower your car seems outrageous.
        Haha, I agree completely. I think most of the problem is that people just buy brand names. Brand names are usually good, but to truly get a good setup, people need to be educated about suspension theory..like in depth. Compression and Rebound differences, high-speed vs low-speed damping, progressive vs linear rates, center of gravity, roll center, etc.

Most people don't care enough to research that much, and people like me don't care enough to write stickies about it.

Comment

that's where your assumption is flawed, they dont...ground controls come with a spring rate of around 350lb, and you can customize it to any spring rate.

these e*** coilovers, all coil bind when lowered, not stiff at all. they dont aid in any performance whatsoever.

i love ppl who defend ebay generic products with the mantra "it's just the same..."

looks the same....

lets put up a ebay turbo vs. a garret or turbonetics...lets see whose fins in the turbo shoot out first.

Umm.... Usually, coilovers like the ones here are TOO stiff which is what causes the bounce. But the actual material quality causes it to lose that stiffness. I know for a fact the ebay coils like these in my garage are stiffer than the skunk2's I have installed. I'm debating puttong the rears in to get a little more stiffness and keep the rear shocks from bottoming out. An effect of having weak dampers on a really low car.

Comment

lol ebay stiff, maybe you're right and they "degrade" from possible loss of tension the springs have from poorer construction methods. what do i know, speculation, but most ppl with ebay coilovers say it rides like shit and a regret in purchasing.

but stiffness doesnt make bounce, springs that dont help keep the shock from traveling do--weak springs.

stiff springs dont allow the shock to travel much in normal conditions, which is why you FEEL every bump or dip it in the road. The force isnt being dampened and shoots straight to the chassis..this is called "teeth clattering" in slang..omni street/pro coilover guys know what's up

the whole point of this "stiffness" is to eliminate some body rolling on turns where much of the force being generated in the turn slumps to one side of the car causing a dip. A stiff suspension set up will remedy a lot of body roll and afford better control and performance.
            Last edited by ikayto; 12-10-2009, 02:14 AM.

Comment

lol ebay stiff, maybe you're right and they "degrade" from possible loss of tension the springs have from poorer construction methods. what do i know, speculation, but most ppl with ebay coilovers say it rides like shit and a regret in purchasing.

but stiffness doesnt make bounce, springs that dont help keep the shock from traveling do--weak springs.

stiff springs dont allow the shock to travel much in normal conditions, which is why you FEEL every bump or dip it in the road. The force isnt being dampened and shoots straight to the chassis..this is called "teeth clattering" in slang..omni street/pro coilover guys know what's up
              You have it backwards. A spring makes a constant upward and downward resonation(bounce) and a shock dampens it. It is stiff springs with too weak of a shock that causes a bouncy ride because the spring isn't being critically damped, it is under-damped.

If what you were saying were true, tein springs on Konis would ride like total crap, and they don't.

Comment

Those eBay sleeves suck. I bought a set from a guy off CL and I didn't notice but the sleeves were wrong! I had my car looking like this for a month.

Plus, the ride was bouncy as hell. And the fronts were all the way down! And the part where you adjust the height got bent and stuck in a week.

If anything, get Megan Racing sleeves if you're gonna cheap out. They're fairly decent.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                  You have it backwards. A spring makes a constant upward and downward resonation(bounce) and a shock dampens it. It is stiff springs with too weak of a shock that causes a bouncy ride because the spring isn't being critically damped, it is under-damped.

we are essentially saying the same thing..

if a spring is bouncing up and down too much it's spring rate is very low and doesnt take much force or weight to cause it to compress. the shock now has a weak partner in keeping the car stable and thus cannot keep up with the constant load of having to take the weight of the car and force--then blows.. Thus a higher spring rate aids the shock in taking the weight of the car and force so the dampener doesnt have to work so hard.
                  Last edited by ikayto; 12-10-2009, 02:27 AM.

Comment

we are essentially saying the same thing..

if a spring is bouncing up and down too much it's spring rate is very low and doesnt take much force or weight to cause it to compress. the shock now has a weak partner in keeping the car stable and thus cannot keep up with the constant load of having to take the weight of the car and force--then blows.. Thus a higher spring rate aids the shock in taking the weight of the car and force so the dampener doesnt have to work so hard.
                    its still the higher spring rates that cause a bouncy ride WITH a weak damper. Believe me, It would really take a decent amount of physics and dynamics to explain to you why, and its late lol.

Comment

Looks to me like another cheap set off ebay.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                        its still the higher spring rates that cause a bouncy ride WITH a weak damper. Believe me, It would really take a decent amount of physics and dynamics to explain to you why, and its late lol.

Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring

A high spring rate spring is less resistant to compress.

yea i agree in the bouncing, but it's more or less the shock compressing all the way and up, not doing its job with the stiff spring. as you need both stiff springs and good shocks that can tolerate much force.

it works both ways

shitty shock with stiff spring = shock not handling the load that the stiff spring is placing on it and car

shitty spring with stiff shocks: shock is on its own in keeping the car stable and blows out eventually

shitty shock with shitty spring = more fail blog, not only does the spring not aid the shock but the shock itself is inept at dampening the motion of the spring

typical combo is shitty spring and oem shock,

we are argueing both sides of the coin...whereas in your defense, you are blaming the shock for all the troubles of the worlds.

My argument is that the ebay spring is not stiff, the bounce you feel is the shock failing to dampen the motions of the car since the spring is not helping whatsoever.

stiff cars dont bounce all over the place, they thud...force travels straight through chassis since shock and spring arge not budging or compressing enough, which is good since they will tolerate much force to compress--helpful in cornering when car's weight shifts to a certain side and thus a la body roll..
                        Last edited by ikayto; 12-10-2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

yea i agree in the bouncing, but it's more or less the shock compressing all the way and up, not doing its job with the stiff spring.

it works both ways

shitty shock with stiff spring = shock not handling the load that the stiff spring is placing on it and car

shitty spring with stiff shocks: shock is on its own in keeping the car stable and blows out eventually

shitty shock with shitty spring = more fail blog, not only does the spring not aid the shock but the shock itself is inept at dampening the motion of the spring

typical combo is shitty spring and oem shock,

Lol, no a soft spring with a stiff shock will not blow faster. The shock dampens the spring's motion. The spring's natural motion is to return to neutral, that is, it is not under compression or tension. A stiffer shock will dampen this motion more quickly.

You're thinking of the spring being passive, but in reality the shock reacts to the spring's motion. It dampens it, aka, returns it to the neutral position. The spring doesn't react to the shock. It does what it wants independently, its motion is just controlled by the shock.

Comment

i said my piece, hopefully someone chimes in with more input.

x.x

Comment

another piece of the formula is ride height, spring length, progressive style springs, and x.x

Comment

ive been in a car with ground controll coils and blown oem springs.

it rode 1000000 times better than an accord with ebay coils and brand new agx's.

i hope that helps, eyekaytoe and emendude.

Comment

Working...
                                X