Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Negative camber good or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the car is going down the road with the tires like this / \ its going to wear the tires faster than it would with the correct amount of camber. Period.

But whether it matters to you for whatever reason that’s your deal.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I hate when people use cars that come with negative camber stock as examples. Many of those cars have very different suspension setups. Our suspensions increase negative camber as they compress. Not every manufacturer does it that way (most likely do, but not all.)
      With our cars, negative camber WILL cause increased tire wear. It's a fact, not an opinion. It's really not something that can be argued.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        It's really not something that can be argued.
        ... Yet sombody always does.

Comment

You dont need more than ~-1 deg negative camber. Anywhere more than that, its just for looks

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Not to step on anyones toes hee but what the hell is the whole idea behind this camber stuff? A cars looks are relative but a bad ride (i can imagine) and tires not lasting a full oil change???? I dont get it at all. It reminds me of the 90's when people had rims but looked like they were riding on their axles.. .lol

Comment

Originally posted by harrisso1 View Post
              Not to step on anyones toes hee but what the hell is the whole idea behind this camber stuff? A cars looks are relative but a bad ride (i can imagine) and tires not lasting a full oil change???? I dont get it at all. It reminds me of the 90's when people had rims but looked like they were riding on their axles.. .lol
              It's just a fad that will hopefully die very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I hate when people use cars that come with negative camber stock as examples. Many of those cars have very different suspension setups. Our suspensions increase negative camber as they compress. Not every manufacturer does it that way (most likely do, but not all.)
                With our cars, negative camber WILL cause increased tire wear. It's a fact, not an opinion. It's really not something that can be argued.
                Like the rear of the Cadillac Catera. That’s what people normally throw at me for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ProSouth View Post
                  but, camber does kill tires. the weight of your car isnt distributed across the entire width of the tire. so it will wear faster, on the inside only.
                  Exactly...

Try Driving Around With negative Camber For A few hundred miles then lift the Car An try Taking the tire of with no gloves and see if you don't get a wake up call when ya ass get pricked by the metal wires coming out the inside of the tire i highly don't recommend lowering your car with out a camber kit or some form of camber adjustment part. Not Safe For A Daily driver and not good for the amount of money coming out of pocket for new tires every few hundred miles.. when the money spent buying new tires can be used for new adjustable uca which now a days are not too expensive with the amount of ebay and main stream companies making them..

Comment

Originally posted by GARGOLA88 View Post
                    Exactly...

Try Driving Around With negative Camber For A few hundred miles then lift the Car An try Taking the tire of with no gloves and see if you don't get a wake up call when ya ass get pricked by the metal wires coming out the inside of the tire i highly don't recommend lowering your car with out a camber kit or some form of camber adjustment part. Not Safe For A Daily driver and not good for the amount of money coming out of pocket for new tires every few hundred miles.. when the money spent buying new tires can be used for new adjustable uca which now a days are not too expensive with the amount of ebay and main stream companies making them..
                    A few hundred miles will not cause the wires to show from -3 degrees of camber. Unless they are used tires. This is quite an exaggeration and is nowhere near the truth of how much negative camber actually affects tire wear. I can easily put close to 25,000 - 30,000 miles on my tires before the wear becomes dangerous. My car has -3 degrees of camber and I'm only lowered on struts and springs. (2.5 inch drop). However, tires should last a lot longer than that and, with more camber, the wear becomes more excessive. In which case, you can flip tires to get a longer life out of them. But, again, this is not safe and can be very dangerous. I am not trying to argue for negative camber, but simply saying that smaller amounts of negative camber do not cause ridiculous amounts of wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Thormx353 View Post
                      It's just a fad that will hopefully die very soon.
                      we all need to progress from this /-\ to this \-/
                      visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                        A few hundred miles will not cause the wires to show from -3 degrees of camber. Unless they are used tires. This is quite an exaggeration and is nowhere near the truth of how much negative camber actually affects tire wear. I can easily put close to 25,000 - 30,000 miles on my tires before the wear becomes dangerous. My car has -3 degrees of camber and I'm only lowered on struts and springs. (2.5 inch drop). However, tires should last a lot longer than that and, with more camber, the wear becomes more excessive. In which case, you can flip tires to get a longer life out of them. But, again, this is not safe and can be very dangerous. I am not trying to argue for negative camber, but simply saying that smaller amounts of negative camber do not cause ridiculous amounts of wear.
                        There is no way in hell your putting 30k on a set of tires with -3*. That is no where near the truth. And you say you can do this easily? No way.

-3* of camber is too much. Any more than -1.75* is too much for a DD CB.

Also there aren’t many good tires you can "flip around and wear the other side out". You can’t do that with a directional tire and more and more tires are becoming directional. And flipping the tire over? That’s ridiculous. Isn’t it much easier just to get a camber kit? It will pay for its self in a short amount of time.

When you flip the tires around your exposing the thinnest part of the tire to the outside. It leaves you prone to puncturing a tire from a rock or debris on the side of the road. And prone to puncturing tires period.

Why are so many new people on here coming up with all kinds of excuses to do things the wrong way? It’s called bad advice. And it’s also called -1 credibility.
                        Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-20-2013, 01:56 AM.

Comment

You can flip directional tires. You just have to swap sides as well (LF goes to RF rim and opposite etc etc.) I'll take some pics of my tires wear tomorrow. As I run -3.3 camber on the front and even more on the back. I don't have mileage's but I do have dates when I bought the tires so we'll get an idea. Not saying camber doesn't wear tires because it definitely does, but it's not as bad as most people think.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Im tired and its late but I see what you mean and you can do that. I didnt think of it that far because its a bad idea IMO to begin with. I have put holes in tires low on tread a few times but I havent yet put a hole in a good tire. Lucky me.

For you the camber is what you like I take it and it looks good on your CB.

Im lowered on Eibach Pros with Koni STRTs. About a 1.5/1.75 drop. My camber is around -2 to -2.25 in the front. I have put 5k on them and they are pretty worn in the inside fronts.

But I imagine that a good performance tire would hold up to the negative camber better. By the looks of it I imagine thats what you have am I right?

Comment

Mine are not even close to that. I run dunlop dz101's, not exactly a performance tire but not bottom of the line either. There's also no stretch on my fronts (if that even makes a difference) but I dont think it does.

Just because I have it handy

Last edited by bassrock234; 01-20-2013, 02:30 AM.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Dunlop Direzza DZ101. Thats a pretty good tire if you ask me. Tire Rack classifies it as an Ultra High Performance Summer tire. Id say that has alot to do with why your tires are holding up to the negative camber better. Still yet Id say youll get slightly less than half the use out of them than if you were to have the proper camber. I could be off a little but I doubt by much.

But it looks good. You have to pay to play.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
                                Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-20-2013, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X