Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

accord forward flip hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accord forward flip hood

Hi there all i am new here and i have a chance to buy all the goodies to do a forward opening hood from a 1983 accord the lines look close so i was thinking it might work. Anyone have any ideas. Im going to buy it anyway and try what the hell for $60.00 i get the hood the front hinges the core support the latch on the firewall and the hood release cable and t
    he grill if it doesnt work oh well lol

Anything can be done with any combination of skill time and money.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

They're called "clam-shell" hoods. older bimmers use them quite a bit...not sure how a CB would look with one...

Good Luck!

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Hmmm nice idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
          Anything can be done with any combination of skill time and money.
          I know this wont be a direct bolt on mod but it looks really close and i was thinking i could mod my 92 cb9 hood with the goodies anyway. I just thought it would look cool and be different to pop the hood and it opens to the front of the car instead of to the window lol. Was wondering if anyone has thought of this and if so why didnt they do it. I plan on other mods as well they will mostly be interior mods as i work for an upholstery shop and know how to customize my interior.

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
            They're called "clam-shell" hoods. older bimmers use them quite a bit...not sure how a CB would look with one...

Good Luck!
            1983 honda accord is what a cb3 chassis right im not sure on that but if so some parts from cb3 work on cb7's correct

Comment

i'll try to find some pics of how the hood on my E30 works...

You'll need to find a way to keep it secure under/near the cowling. Also, some type of pivoting mechanism behind the grille so it will roll away from the nose and not fall into the grille itself. Then you'll have to find a way to get it to rest in an erect position. Since the hood blocks access to the front of the engine bay, a prop rod will only exacerbate the problem. My BMW uses a gas shock to dampen the return of the hood to the closed position as well as keep the hood standing up and to keep it from falling on you while working in the engine bay. Might be a cool feature to add instead of using a prop rod which, in my estimation, will just get in the way.

food for thought..

here's a pic to look at...hopefully it gives you a better idea of what you'll need to make it work and make it safe.

Here you can see some of the pivoting mechanism. It's VERY sturdy since it supports the weight of the hood. It's incorporated into the rad core support and the surrounding body work. Not entirely sure about its exact design...but i know it needs to be strong and pivot the hood AWAY from the grille.

unfortunately i can't find a pic of how the hood secures under the cowling. It's more complex than you might think though. It uses rollers and, again, it very sturdy.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by jasen klems View Post
                1983 honda accord is what a cb3 chassis right im not sure on that but if so some parts from cb3 work on cb7's correct
                No, this is incorrect. USDM Accords from 90-93 use the CB7/9 chassis code. Not sure about 83' Accords. CB3 was the chassis code for JDM Accords from 89-93. ...pretty sure. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Edit: the part about CB3 parts working on a CB7 is right since they're virtually the same car. Although neither had a clam-shell hood.
                Last edited by islandhopper; 02-11-2014, 01:11 AM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

some mid 1980's Buick/Olds/Pontiacs that were fwd had clamshell hoods too

see if you find that hardware as a 1983 accord hood is most likely a lot lighter than the cb hood
                  http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                    some mid 1980's Buick/Olds/Pontiacs that were fwd had clamshell hoods too

see if you find that hardware as a 1983 accord hood is most likely a lot lighter than the cb hood
                    I can always add strength to the parts i have found is they are to weak. At least I will have a good starting point to work from and then it also keeps it simple and I dont have to figure how to make something work from another manufacturer. Lol

Comment

might be your best bet
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                        might be your best bet
                        More than likely this idea will not work out but if it does i will have pics to post up and i will try to tell you all how i did it. As I said earlier I'm not really a custom fab guy but i will give it a shot lol

Comment

It's an interesting idea. I'm sure it's been done by hardcore showcar guys, but I haven't seen anyone here do it. The core support isn't made to hold that weight, so you'll need to reinforce it, or risk bending it. Using a lightweight carbon fiber hood could also be a good idea.

As for the chassis, just ignore the number. The chassis is CB. The following number indicates which variant it is (CB7 for North American sedans and coupes, CB9 for North American wagons, etc... a full list is on here somewhere.)

The 86-89 chassis is CA. Pre-1986, the chassis naming conventions were different. The 1st generation is SJ/SM, and the 2nd generation is SY/SZ/AC/AD. I do not know what models each applies to. Those cars have very little in common with ours, with practically no interchangeable parts. They aren't common among tuners. Therefore, very little is discussed about them on forums, aside from "hey, look at this awesome classic 1st or 2nd gen Accord!"

Comment

Thanks for the info the core support was the one thing I wad going to reinforce no matter what lol. I want to be a little different even if u cant tell till the hood is popped. Got lots of other plans as well but for the cost of parts for this mod i think i will try it out first

Comment

I have been thinking about this for awhile. But everytime I try to mock it up not sure what to do with the grill. The hood will squeeze past the headlights. But it jams the grill anyway you think about it. And I was thinking a scissor hinge. But I don't think thats capable of holding the pressure from the wind.

Comment

Working...
                              X