Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Which of these alarm would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking at all of these stealth installs and dude, the wiring from the brain is no more than 6ft. How on earth would the wire reach from under the seat to the fuse box? Most of the ignition wires don't even need to go pass the front seat. I don't see how it make sense without extending them.

Hey H.M.,
    Have you figure out how I could take the little panel below the steering column off? Just pull it or some thing? Most cars I see screws holding on, but mine I don't see any thing.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Bad_dude; 06-12-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

You are going to extend all your wiring for a stealth install.

I haven't ever taken the cover under steering wheel off. I won't need to for my install.
      90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

Originally posted by H.M. View Post
        You are going to extend all your wiring for a stealth install.

I haven't ever taken the cover under steering wheel off. I won't need to for my install.
        Every thing is behind the fuse box? What about the horn wire?

Comment

I called around and they want $350 to $450 install for either of the system. Dude, that's rape. One place didn't know how long the warranty for the Avital is, he said 3 years, and Viper life time.

Comment

Figured I would contribute the bit of info that I have learned. As a few have said, you really cannot go wrong with a DEI product. They are the tried and true, go-to alarm system. Therefore that is what I would recommend. Clifford, viper, python, avital, and anything else named after a snake lol, are all made by DEI. They have essentially the same brains in them plus or minus a few little features here and there. If you are looking for the budget option, then avital is a good choice. It is DEI's budget brand of alarms. If you are curious DEI products are usually priced as follows from lowest to highest:

Avital
            Python
            Viper
            Clifford - Most expensive yo

Again any of these are good options, and honestly those bottom 3 brands can be found for pretty much the same prices if you shop around. I am probably going to be putting a viper in my car because it happens to be what is sitting on the shelf at my buddy's shop lol.

Another thing to note is that you can expect to spend some money on the accessories. DEI really pounds you there. If you have the extra cash I would recommend getting the backup battery and tilt sensor (not a bad investment).

And lastly if you are planning on going with a model that has remote start then yes $450 to $500 is not unheard of. I read plenty of stories about people paying that much when I was looking up reviews on the various models (usually on newer vehicles though). I had a python with remote start on my last CB and it was cool but I probably would not do it again simply based on the cost. And it pretty much doubled the install time which sucked majorly.

Anyhow hope some of that helped. Good luck shopping

Comment

I have read that the remote start is rough on the starter. I am catching myself debating over which to buy but the Viper 350 Responder vs the Avital 5303. I'll probably go with Avital due to the remote has the time on it and the remote start, but I'll probably use it rarely. Too bad your buddy is in WA.

Comment

Viper for sure!
                1992 Honda Accord EX (Rosewood) - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                  I have read that the remote start is rough on the starter. I am catching myself debating over which to buy but the Viper 350 Responder vs the Avital 5303. I'll probably go with Avital due to the remote has the time on it and the remote start, but I'll probably use it rarely. Too bad your buddy is in WA.
                  I never noticed any roughness with the starts. It always started smoothly. I looked up both of those alarms and I would say that either option is a good choice. The only difference will be the install price on the remote start if you choose to have it installed. I know I said that those install prices you listed were not unheard of, but what I should have added is that they are pretty damn steep. I know it does not help you, but as an example there is a good little stereo shop near me that installs 2-way alarms for around $80 I believe. I don't know what their price is on remote start systems, but I can't see it being much more than double that. So keep hunting around, see if you can find a small shop that knows what they are doing. Ask them how they install it: do they wrap all the wires to make it harder to tamper with, securely mount the brain somewhere vs. stuffing it up under the dash etc. Good luck main

Comment

Originally posted by RUGER 2.2L View Post
                    I never noticed any roughness with the starts. It always started smoothly. I looked up both of those alarms and I would say that either option is a good choice. The only difference will be the install price on the remote start if you choose to have it installed. I know I said that those install prices you listed were not unheard of, but what I should have added is that they are pretty damn steep. I know it does not help you, but as an example there is a good little stereo shop near me that installs 2-way alarms for around $80 I believe. I don't know what their price is on remote start systems, but I can't see it being much more than double that. So keep hunting around, see if you can find a small shop that knows what they are doing. Ask them how they install it: do they wrap all the wires to make it harder to tamper with, securely mount the brain somewhere vs. stuffing it up under the dash etc. Good luck main
                    Hey,
                    So which system do you have? Where is the brain mounted in your car? You could PM me with this info if you trust me.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Damn you still haven't bought one.

Damn bro...stop bs and just pull the trigger.

Viper is by far the best hands down.

I had remote start on my 93 and it never had issues starting or idling.

90% of brains go under the steering column....unless you move it, that is where it is installed.

Comment

Any input on compu-star?

Comment

i've heard decent things about the audiovox prestige. even looked into it for my mom around christmas time. viper was too expensive from what i remember. I got her a coach purse anyway lol.

-sean
                          Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                          Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

I got a viper alarm system off ebay. It's a base model and only cost me $50. Has everything you would need. Remote door lock, starter kill switch, shock sensor, open door sensors, options for hood and trunk sensors. Option to upgrade the brain If I felt like it down the road. It's not fancy but it does the job. Just installed it to deter the petty thieves. If anyone more serious tries to take it they will no matter what alarm you have. So I decided to get a cheap one and install myself. If I get more serious with my mods then I'll probably get lojack.

Comment

Working...
                            X